The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Reviews wanted Phil Goldsteins Book (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Scott Imler
View Profile
Special user
Calgary, Canada
545 Posts

Profile of Scott Imler
Has anybody read this book. It is a compilation of 60 of his best card effects. Sounds good just wanted some reviews on the material contained within. Hope I have the title correct?

Thanks Scott
wert
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of wert
Excellent book. Not very expensive either. Recommended. Contains the currently marketed(and very nice) effect Shinkansen.
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
I love this book. Great explantions of basic sleights in the context of learning good effects. It makes learning easy. I highly recommend it.

Mark
What would Wavy do?
Mark Ennis
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC
1031 Posts

Profile of Mark Ennis
There are a couple of threads on this already but I highly recommend this book.
ME
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
If your in to gimmicks this is the book for you .
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
wert
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of wert
At least half the effects in Focus are "gaff free". This book has an undeserved reputation of relying too heavily on gaffs. The many sleights taught are also applicable to "non gaff" card work.

The routines that do use gaffs use readily available db and df cards for the most part.
vinsmagic
View Profile
Eternal Order
sleeping with the fishes...
10960 Posts

Profile of vinsmagic
I think Phil goldstein is a wonderful magician and performer .however( focus ) did nothing for me as well as his new book .
this is just my opinion .
because i dislike using gaffs
vinny
Come check out my magic.

http://www.vinnymarini.com
jasonchr
View Profile
Regular user
North Carolina
173 Posts

Profile of jasonchr
I recently got it and am very pleased. Shinkasen, No Gaff Differential, Impressions, and Masque are all good routines. I'm sure I'll find plenty more as I work my way through the book.

Jason
The aspirant should acquire the resolve to explore and expand his talents to the best of his ability. With a thorough commitment to quality comes a sense of accomplishment and unique satisfaction.

John Carney
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

Profile of Andrew E. Miller
I have heard this is a great book if you liek gaffs. It's on my list of things to get because from the some of the things I have heard about it, this my kind of book. Looking forward to it and I will post a review when I get the book.

Andrew
If you get bored go to www.a-miller.idz.net and watch some magic.

-Andrew
Kamal
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of Kamal
You should seriously consider Exitwist and Printing History from the Focus. The correct one line description for this book shouldn't be "if you're into gaffs...", it should be "if you're into packet tricks" then get this book. I have owned this book for 7 years, and have continually gone back to it. Highly Recommended.
Fred E. Bert
View Profile
Veteran user
New York, NY
359 Posts

Profile of Fred E. Bert
I have read this book cover-to-cover. It is full of ingenious routines and loaded with thourough descriptions of moves, which are all indexed. It's a great reference. There's something very satisfying about creating impossible things with only a couple of cards. This is an under-rated book. I knew Phil Goldstein was a genius, but I never knew he was a card genius until I got this book.
CharlieC
View Profile
Elite user
488 Posts

Profile of CharlieC
If you like packet tricks and don't mind gaffs, get this book.

Otherwise pass on it.
"Whenever he gets in a fix he reaches into his bag of tricks.
Felix the cat, the wonderful, wonderful cat..."
1magicshop
View Profile
New user
38 Posts

Profile of 1magicshop
Great, Great and Great. I love the book
Great Prices, Great Magic
http://www.1magicshop.com
Franfran
View Profile
New user
Paris!
70 Posts

Profile of Franfran
I really do like this book, only great material. It worth ten time the price ...

Just buy it !

Franfran Smile
Franfran's magic, the real French Touch!
rgranville
View Profile
Elite user
Boston area
463 Posts

Profile of rgranville
Quote:
I knew Phil Goldstein was a genius, but I never knew he was a card genius until I got this book.

Every article he's written for the MUM that I can remember has been a card effect. He is a card genius. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Reviews wanted Phil Goldsteins Book (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL