The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Linking rings (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
SeanScottMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
325 Posts

Profile of SeanScottMagic
I say throw away the rings and do Immaculate Connection by Paul Harris. Get some jumbo playing cards and do the stage. LOL.

Stevens Magic was selling a very large dia. set several years ago, but no more I believe. There were 3 in a set. Interestingly, the rings were made from kind of a pot metal being very light. They were able to be used with magnets due to this. Light enough to be raised off the ground while spinning with a TT magnet. I used to have a clip of it on YouTube.

The rings are kind of undervalued these days. Definately more can be done with them.

Sean
http://WWW.THEARTOFSEANSCOTT.COM
AVAILABLE EFFECTS:

ROAMING
RISE
RENDER
MODOSU
FACTORY LINE
BANDARIZUMU
KI
MXL
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Quote:
On 2008-12-16 14:01, Rainboguy wrote:
MY RNT2 12 inch stainless steel rings arrived today.

Wow--that's pretty fast service! I ordered a set of the rings on 12/8 but they haven't (yet) arrived. When did you place your order?
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
I ordered my linking rings Online on 12/11/08.
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Thanks. I ordered my on 12/8, and I just got an email from Epiphany confirming that they'd been shipped. I expect that they'll be arriving on my doorstep any day now.
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
Donal:

They're worth the wait, my friend!
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I received my 12" RNT2 rings. the sound was ok but not as good as the original RNT. The finish has left something to be desired. I could feel the weld on one ring, a flat spot on another, and several had suspect plating over less than perfect surfaces. Plating must be done over perfect surfaces. No exceptions. I am concerned that the plating will give way with use. The Size and weight is pretty good. Heavier than the Merv Taylor but not bad.

I have written them to ask what can be done to correct these noted defects.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
geemack
View Profile
Loyal user
Greg McNeil Peoria,Illinois
296 Posts

Profile of geemack
The new RNT2 12 inch rings are made from 5/16 inch stock, the same thickness as the 10 inch Merv Taylor rings, so they should only be heavier because of the difference in ring diameter.

Greg
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
You are correct. It has been a few years since I used a set of Taylor but I realized you are correct after I rethought it.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
Just got home and have been studying the RNT2 12" rings.

I think that Richard Hughes' description is exactly correct. These rings are definitely not perfect. But at less than $100 for a set of eight, I think that they are a real bargain and I am very happy with my purchase.

I purchased two sets and I was able to pick out the best 11 rings of the set of 16 for the Benson routine. Now I have to workout with some free weights (I am not kidding) to build up the strength to do the Benson routine with these large and HEAVY rings!

Levent
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I agree with Levent. I will keep the set for $95 as it will be worked not collected.

I did however get a Mandarian Transformation that I have written to them concerning the finish on it. Not up to the original RNT company standards.

Richard
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Rainboguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1915 Posts

Profile of Rainboguy
I agree with both Richard and Levent.......these are WORKERS linking rings.....

Also, congratulations to those who bought these, as the RNT2 Website doesn't show their 12" linking rings anymore whatsoever.

It appears that they are GONE.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2008-12-15 17:07, Levent wrote:
Hi Dynamike:

The 11 Linking Ring routine (chain of three, chain of two, five singles and one key ring) that I do is pretty much based on the Benson ring routine. The Benson ring routine is explained in my book "Roy Benson By Starlight".

In the Benson book, I took over 50 pages and 200 step-by-step photographs to explain the Benson's ring routine and if you look at the photos really fast it could look like a video of me doing the routine. LOL

I am looking forward to purchase the book. If you can sell it to me at a less than average price, send me a PM.
Thanks.
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
My 12" RnT2 rings arrived yesterday. I think Levent, Greg (Geemack) and Richard have pretty much summed it up.

Not a perfect set of rings by any stretch of the imagination, but not a bad set for the money. I'll keep 'em to use as stand-ins for my Owen rings when I'm performing outside. If a spectator drops one of these rings onto a concrete sidewalk or asphalt parking lot, I won't cringe.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Quote:
On 2008-12-15 17:07, Levent wrote:
The 11 Linking Ring routine (chain of three, chain of two, five singles and one key ring) that I do is pretty much based on the Benson ring routine. The Benson ring routine is explained in my book "Roy Benson By Starlight".

In the Benson book, I took over 50 pages and 200 step-by-step photographs to explain the Benson's ring routine and if you look at the photos really fast it could look like a video of me doing the routine. LOL

Levent, I purchased the book. Wow. It is fabulous. I can now see why many voted it to be the book of the year. Because of the so many pages, we are really buying several books for a low price.

The ring routine is a dream to me. I can't believe such a high quality act. There are amazing techniques that are so old, everyone forgot about by now. I ordered myself some extra rings already so I can perform the 11 ring routine.

Levent, your "Levent’s Ultimate Guide to The Miser’s Dream" DVD, manipulation act DVD and your book "Roy Benson By Starlight" are really highlighted. What are you going to put out next? Whatever it is, I will truly purchase it.

Every time someone reads/watches one of your products, a magician is born again.
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
Quote:
On 2009-01-07 10:16, Dynamike wrote:

Levent, I purchased the book. Wow. It is fabulous. I can now see why many voted it to be the book of the year. Because of the so many pages, we are really buying several books for a low price.

The ring routine is a dream to me. I can't believe such a high quality act. There are amazing techniques that are so old, everyone forgot about by now. I ordered myself some extra rings already so I can perform the 11 ring routine.

Levent, your "Levent’s Ultimate Guide to The Miser’s Dream" DVD, manipulation act DVD and your book "Roy Benson By Starlight" are really highlighted. What are you going to put out next? Whatever it is, I will truly purchase it.

Every time someone reads/watches one of your products, a magician is born again.
[/quote]

Hi Dynamike:

Comments like yours make all the hard work it took to research and write the Benson book worthwhile.

Sadly many magicians have not actually seen the Benson book and at conventions I run into people that seem to think it is a history book or a theory book. The truth as you now know is that Todd and I actually crafted a very practical magic book (1200 step-by-step photos) with a ton of tricks that uses Benson as an example of what I believe a really fine magician really is. Also, the book teaches mostly the kind of effects that magicians today are actually desperate for, that being stand-up magic that can be performed anywhere, with or without patter.

Anyhow, thanks again for your kind comments. I know that you are probably in a rush to study the Benson ring routine. But after you get through that, I have a suggestion for you. Try to read the book from the beginning to the end. Or at the very least, start from page 72 and continue until you reach the end of the salt pour chapter. The reason for this is because, as you progress through these chapters I explain my "Fundamental Rules of Stage Magic".

Best regards,
Levent
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
Quote:
On 2008-12-24 04:22, Donal Chayce wrote:
My 12" RnT2 rings arrived yesterday. I think Levent, Greg (Geemack) and Richard have pretty much summed it up.

Not a perfect set of rings by any stretch of the imagination, but not a bad set for the money. I'll keep 'em to use as stand-ins for my Owen rings when I'm performing outside. If a spectator drops one of these rings onto a concrete sidewalk or asphalt parking lot, I won't cringe.

An epilogue: After working with the rings for a short period of time (four or five 20-minute sessions, max), the weld and/or the plating on the weld on one of the rings in the set of two cracked all the way around.

The ring now looks like a locking key. Smile
Loyal R
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
417 Posts

Profile of Loyal R
I think the one Proline sells is good...
Dare to Dream...
salcioppa
View Profile
New user
Columbus, Ohio
59 Posts

Profile of salcioppa
I have the Redefine rings and I agree, they are a great set if you can find them. I've had lots of sets of linking rings and these are right up there with the best of them.
At a convention of mind readers, a man sees an attractive woman he'd like to meet. He walks up to her and says, "Hello! You're Susan. Who am I?"
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Yea, I have the Redefine ring set too. The only thing I dislike about the rings is how "Redefine" is stamped on each ring. The is why I am afraid of the spectators getting suspicious when I pass them out for examination.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Linking rings (2 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL