The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Any Fans of Gratuitous Gore? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
Or am I the only one? I seriously LOVE a good splatter flick, the more over-the-top the better. Think Evil Dead and Braindead. It all somehow makes me rather giddy.

Anybody else a fan of super-gorey horror? Any favourites? Notable titles?
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
tparrett62
View Profile
Regular user
New York
171 Posts

Profile of tparrett62
The original "Dawn of the Dead" is my personal favorite in the genre. The first exploding head is a shock you don't see coming the first time you watch (I caught it in 1978 at a midnite show at a drive-in!), and it still holds up pretty well.

There were a lot of great splatter flicks from the 80's- try to find "Nightmare", http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0082818/, from 1981. It's not over-the-top splattery, but it has gore, and it's really twisted. Also, from around the same time, Lucio Fulci's "Zombie"- http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0080057/-- there's a scene with an eyeball and a long wood splinter that will make you squirm, and a fight between a shark and a zombie that is classic.
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
Braindead = Gore

Dude I've been saying that forever!

ZING
.:Michael Kelley
On the Level, By the Square
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
George A. Romero is King!
My favorite films fall within the Scary/Horror genre (gore being a nice added bonus). LOVE my friggin' Zombie films. I like how more recently film-makers have been exploring the idea of a virus being responsible for creating zombies (28 Days later) and they run so fast they could win an olympic medal LOL!

"Brains, I want your braaaaaaaains!" Smile
tparrett62
View Profile
Regular user
New York
171 Posts

Profile of tparrett62
I don't have a problem with the "28 Days Later" zombies being fast, since they're still alive, but the fast zombies in the remake of "Dawn" were not what I was expecting.

I think Romero should have stopped after "Day of the Dead", though. That was pretty overlooked, and not too bad in retrospect, but "Land of the Dead", imo, was craptacular. Too many trips to the well.
rossmacrae
View Profile
Inner circle
Arlington, Virginia
2477 Posts

Profile of rossmacrae
Hostel - horrific and disturbing.
Hostel 2 - horrific and subtly funny.

BTW, for more memories of splatter (along with other great movies) see TRAILERS FROM HELL - be sure to watch them with the commentary (voiced by John Landis, Joe Dante, "Hostel" director Eli Roth and many others)
See the BALLYCAST Sideshow Blog & Podcast

There is no "way to peace." Peace is the way.
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought he meant Al Gore. Smile
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
I'm usually VERY tolerant of gore... my uncensored mind knows no boundaries, literally nothing offends me. However, first time watching Braindead, I do admit to feeling a little sick upon viewing. The "dog tail from the throat" moment made me cringe.
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
Larry Bean
View Profile
Inner circle
I'm digging enough holes for
2016 Posts

Profile of Larry Bean
Faces of Death - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 yada yada yada
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
Quote:
On 2008-12-04 12:10, airship wrote:

Hah! Finally! Good man
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Quote:
On 2008-12-04 12:20, MAKMagic wrote:
Quote:

Hah! Finally! Good man

If it wasn't for Gore, we wouldn't be able to watch gore on the internet... Smile
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Ever since REAL torture and suffering became News items of the day almost every day. as wackos across the country kidnap their victims and slice and dice on a seemingly regular basis I became less and less interested in the explicit films...like the Saw bunch etc. However, an over the top comedy like Jackson's Dead Alive is hard to beat for a guilty pleasure. For the most part though I have developed an aversion to body fluids that are on the outside.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
Quote:
On 2008-12-04 12:24, ClintonMagus wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-12-04 12:20, MAKMagic wrote:
Quote:

Hah! Finally! Good man

If it wasn't for Gore, we wouldn't be able to watch gore on the internet... Smile

LOL riiiiiiiiiight

It's the man-bear-pig
I'm super serial fellas
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Any Fans of Gratuitous Gore? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL