The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » The Silent Treatment part Deux (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mike the Amazing
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of Mike the Amazing
After thinking about this, I have thought how interesting it would be to try a silent show (not for the same people I have already mentioned in the post below, just a show to use when I want to). Does anyone have any ideas for putting together a 'mystic' type "oooh... ahhh" no talking show? Things like the Zombie, flash pan to flowers, etc would be good effects that do not need patter. Any other ideas? What kind of music do you think would go best with some of the different trick ideas?
Billy Whizz
View Profile
Special user
Plymouth, UK
576 Posts

Profile of Billy Whizz
In my opinion, I think it would be boring for the kids, because there wouldn't be any interaction. It might look spectacular, but I prefer to get the kids shouting, screaming and laughing.

Best wishes, Billy
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI,
I have/do for school shows ect.included a musical/silent portion of about 5 mins in my shows Blendo, colour change cds (DAN garret colour change record visual version)that type of thing. as for music I always use an upbeat modern number at present it is "HEY BAYBE" or "Bob the builder
" depending on my audience
Phillip
Frank Tougas
View Profile
Inner circle
Minneapolis, MN
1712 Posts

Profile of Frank Tougas
I have to agree with Billy on this one. A silent show for kids is pretty hohum, unless you come out and float in the air a foot or so above the ground. Unlikely to happen in an average living room. I think silent acts are far more interesting for magicians than for spectators however for every opinion there is an opposite and equal opinion along with some capable performer successfully doing each and proving both opinions right and wrong at the same time.

If you're going to go ahead with it I suggest very fast, flashy, mini miracles to some popular music. I would keep it only a portion of the show, say a minute or a minute thirty seconds, and then move on to something interactive. Today's kids are so programmed by video games that to simply sit and watch is not an expectation any longer.
Frank Tougas The Twin Cities Most "Kid Experienced" Children's Performer :"Creating Positive Memories...One Smile at a Time"
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Today's kids are so programmed by video games that to simply sit and watch is not an expectation any longer.

Hi,
I hear this spouted a lot,But I do not entirely agree myself. I think that the reverse could /is also true. They will watch anything for much longer than there normal span... Provided THEY find it entertaining.
I have just got back from entertaining a youth prodject group about 50 kids 12 - 18 years old I did a 45 mins show and I have been asked back (voted by the kids) most of who where 14+ all of the organisors have said that they could not believe that they all sat so quietly and watched the show as I had some of the toughest/wildest kids about in the group it is a case of finding what they want to see in my opinion and not simply saying they have the attention spans of flys because they did not want to watch whatever was supplied to them as entertainment.
I will expand on this further, but I am between gigs and I have to leave now to go and do some corporate table hopping for HSBC bank
Phillip
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Silent magic for kids, maybe for the teens like phillips just done, but not the young ones. The young ones want it to be fun, they don't spontainiously clap like adults, so in a silent act you won't get the applause you'd get from adults, there liable to just sit there. If your going to do a silent bit keep it short or they'll soon get bored.

but if your act is funny they will laugh. My show is fueled by the kids laughter more than applause, I want them to point, shout, laugh, and to participate as much as possible. To me that's what a kids show is all about FUN.

You could try a funny silent routine, but even then keep it as short as possible.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

"Magic is a secret, without the secret there is no magic"

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
HI,
I just wanted to point out that i did not do silent magic for the teens they get my adult cabaret. I have however done 5mins or so as part of my schoool shows as mentioned. I think you will find that David gin also does a 5 mins silent section in his show too.
get the kids to clap along and they will love it and it gives them chance to let off steam
Phillip
Mike the Amazing
View Profile
New user
27 Posts

Profile of Mike the Amazing
This was probably the wrong forum for this, didn't quite mean it for younger children, just put it here as a follow up for my previous post. Sorry for the confusion. Advice is still welcome.
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
Hi Mike,

I have opened one of my shows once with a silent act.

The lights were dimmed, the music started playing.. the curtains opened.

I was standing in the middle of the stage...6 little girls dressed as fairies moved slowly around me. They performed a ribbon dance...swaying to the music holding batons with long shimmering ribbons attached. I did an effect with d'lites and then a zombie. The music of choice was a royalty free song called Chrystalenchantress which has an ethereal quality to it. In fact the whole act had that ethereal quality. I think speaking would have ruined it.

With that said, the majority of the time my shows are loud and very noisy as I encourage audience participation.

But, sometimes a silent act works into a show and if you get the opportunity I say go for it! The music of choice sets the tone...upbeat or classical..depending if it suits the routine at the time. Silent doesn't have to mean boring.

Well good luck should you ever decide to try it. Smile
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Hi crystal, that sounds like a stage show which can be approached in a different way to your normal kids shows the kids would all be sat down in nice rows, and if it's a school show would be on thier best behaviour in which case a short silent routine to music would be OK, 30 excited 7 yr olds topped up with sugar and fizzy pop in Mrs Smiths living room would be another matter entirely.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

Remember there are only 3 types of people in the world, those that can count and those that can't.
Chrystal
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada/France
1552 Posts

Profile of Chrystal
...Of course,Emazdad.
However, the topic was performing a Silent Show..nothing was said about performing in someone's living room.
Smile
fxmagik
View Profile
New user
UK
28 Posts

Profile of fxmagik
Hi Emazdad, That must be some size house if there are 30 kids in the living room, plus enough room to perform magic:0)
www.specialfxmagic.com
It ain't what you do! It's the Way that you do it!
p.b.jones
View Profile
Inner circle
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
That must be some size house if there are 30 kids in the living room, plus enough room to perform magic

Hi,
do you have small houses in your area fxmagik
I do not have a big house but I could easily
get 30 kids in and have enough room for a show I have just fitted wood panel flooring so I know that it is 27'by 15'
I did do a show once in such a big front room that I paced it at 30 paces long! my paces are about 30"
Phillip
Emazdad
View Profile
Inner circle
Plymouth UK
1954 Posts

Profile of Emazdad
Hi Crystal,
The Question about doing silent magic for kids, most proffessional kids entertainers do an awfull lot of their work in peoples houses. My point was that the short silent routine would work on the stage, but not in the house.

Hi Eddie,
I do a lot of parties in houses, I've performed 2-Hour parties in living rooms in posh houses that are bigger than the ground floor area of my humble hovel, and also ones that are only about 12'x15' with TV, 3 piece suit, wall unit and occassionally even the Christmas tree, my performance area is sometimes only 6'-7'across and about 4' deep with the 15 - 20 kids sat on the floor almost under my feet and the rest crammed on the sofa. My PA and mini disco unit for the games has to fit in there as well, luckily that can go on top of some of the furniture. I was in an empty dining room the other day, they'd cleared it out totally for the party, the room was only about 9' x 12' so even empty it was a tight squeeze.

Once you do a few of those you soon learn not to cart around a ton of stuff and That's why my 1-Hour kids magic show fits it a box that is 12" x 14" x 22". My rule of thumb when buying a new effect is: if it don't fit in the box, I don't get it. This also helps when you do more than one show a day. I can carry all my stuff for a 2-Hour party in one journey, as long as the doors are wide enough for me to squeeze through that is.
Yours Funfully
Clive "Emazdad" Hemsley
www.emazdad.com

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » The Silent Treatment part Deux (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL