The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Hand outs (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3349 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Are there any question/answers on the importance of handing out coins at end of routines? I'm at a point where I do not want people handling my coins, my cards, etc. Not that they may be gaffed (ok, sometimes), but I find it unnecessary. Someone may admire your new coat, but you do not let them try it on, right? Just curious what others think about this. Is it over-proving to feel you must hand things out?
MortenN
View Profile
Veteran user
Norway
338 Posts

Profile of MortenN
I don't feel I must hand things out, but if I can change a gaffed coin in my CP to an ungaffed, sometimes I feel the routine will give a stronger effect if the spectators can verify the coins afterwards. This is my experience. I will guess it is not a clear answer on this question.

Morten
Michael Rubinstein
View Profile
V.I.P.
4674 Posts

Profile of Michael Rubinstein
I never say, "Hey, check them out..." If you do that at the end, you are implying that the coins may not be real. If you end with the coin in their hand, they can look at it without you needing to say anything. If they ask for it, you should be able to hand it out. If you finish a routine with coins on the table, they should be able to pick them up if they want, without fear of them being gaffed (which is a big problem with an Explosion type effect - to do it, you need to be in a situation where someone WON'T be able to touch it, such as a formal show). In the beginning of a routine, you can have them look at the coins, the reason being that they may be coins they aren't familiar with (English penny, even a half dollar, especially if they are older), but never say they are "normal". Be sure to know how to ring in and ring out a gaff, if you plan on using them. Hope that helped.
S.E.M. (The Sun, the Moon, and the Earth) is a sun and moon routine unlike any other. Limited to 100 sets, here is the promo:
https://youtu.be/aFuAWCNEuOI?si=ZdDUNV8lUPWvtOcL
$325 ppd USA (Shipping extra outside of USA). If interested, shoot me an email for ordering information at rubinsteindvm@aol.com
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
I usually let them sit there while pattering about something... if they choose to pick them up, so be it... if not... I collect them and move on to the next effect.

Sometimes it really depends on the effect... Coins Across, no need to examine... a stretched coin effect, then yeah, prob examine it.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3349 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Great, that all makes sense. Thanks for the feedback and help.
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
Most people have never, or at least seldom, seen the coins I use, so I hand them out at the beginning. I don't hand them out so they can see that they are real, but so they can see coins they've never seen before and, in doing so, see that they are real.
Wes
jocce
View Profile
Regular user
136 Posts

Profile of jocce
Curtis Kam agrees with Wes on this issue in The Pocketbook (highly recommended, BTW) which also includes some more insights into this topic and many others.
Mr. Ray
View Profile
Loyal user
234 Posts

Profile of Mr. Ray
Yep! You should really get Pocketbook.
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
If you're a coin person, 'The Pocketbook' should be required reading...
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
To me, it depends on the layman in an informal act. If for some reason I can feel the layman wants to take a last look at the coins, I would hand them out.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Hand outs (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL