The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » How to store equipments for long durations without fungus issues ? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

plainman007
View Profile
Special user
630 Posts

Profile of plainman007
Hi, How do you guys combat the issue of storing certain equipment for long durations. Maybe stuff you would open up and use only once in a year or so. I have a problem where a very mild whitish fungus starts to grow over most equipment stored this way. I have now thought about trying to store my equipment in air-tight ziplock pouches. Im refering to smaller equipment that's sensitive and maybe electronic etc. Someone told me that sealing it within a air-tight bag may cause more fungus problems. Is this true ? how do most of you store your equipment ?
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Have you tried storing them with the dessicant packs that electronic devices are packed with?
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
plainman007
View Profile
Special user
630 Posts

Profile of plainman007
Yes. Ive tried silica gel.In different forms. There is a difference but they change so quickly its of no avail. The silica gel we use is the indicative type. The crystals that change color to show its fully done absorbing moisture. I found the crystals turning to pink just the next day. So I either think they are ineffective or the *** place has a very high humidity. Either way I cannot use them. Please note that most of the silica gel packs that you see sealed in with electronics are provided for temporary protection only. that's is to protect the product from the maufacturing facility till it reaches the buyer in transit. The minute you tear off the seal the effect is lost. They mostly place these in and then the box is sealed off.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
No moisture, no fungus. You need to figure out how to keep it dry.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Is the place you are storing next to your bathroom? There may be moisture through the walls. I had that problem but when I shifted the cabinets away from the walls that is next to the bathroom, the problem stopped.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I would also put a small fan in the area to circulate the air. Check your moisture level in the area. If it is too high, you will need a dehumdifier.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
plainman007
View Profile
Special user
630 Posts

Profile of plainman007
Not next to the bathroom or anything like that. Its just that the building is a moist building by nature. I don't know if a humidifier will solve the problem. Ive heard they also make the air dry and hot. I was also considering the option of airconditioning the place as it removes humidity right ?
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Not a humidifier but a dehumidifier. An air conditioning unit does remove moisture from the air also.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
JamesTong
View Profile
Eternal Order
Malaysia
11213 Posts

Profile of JamesTong
Anything that removes humidity from the air will certainly be of great help - may it be a dehunidifier or an air conditioning unit. It is better than getting your props damaged by fungus.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
It sounds a bit silly, but packing them in rice (not cooked) will keep them moisture free.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
plainman007
View Profile
Special user
630 Posts

Profile of plainman007
Rice ?? Wow theres so much to learn everyday. Ive never heard of this one before.
But anyway. But ive got so much of equipment il have to have a rice mill to keep them all dry. LOL. But thanks for the information. Ill always remember this.

Are aircons equally good at dehumidifying the area ?
Because Dehumidifiers are as expensive and hardly sold and serviced in my area.
David Bilan
View Profile
Special user
Clarksville, TN
714 Posts

Profile of David Bilan
Vic,

Storage building should have a vapor barrier to keep mosture from coming up from the ground. Temperature control helps (insulated building). Storing equipment in a garage or shed is difficult.

Are you proteting silks, wooden illusions, electronics, costumes? How much space do you take up in cubic feet?

I've used a climate controlled storage facility, but it can be pricy.

Dave
Yes, I am a magician. No I did not make my hare (hair) disappear... it just took early retirement.
plainman007
View Profile
Special user
630 Posts

Profile of plainman007
Dave,

Not much of silks etc. Most of them electronics which are part of my illusions. A lot of professional dmx lights etc. Audio. The whole 9 yards that go into an illusion show.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » How to store equipments for long durations without fungus issues ? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL