The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Gregg Otto: New Comedy Routines for Magic (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Title: Gregg Otto: New Comedy Routines for Magic
Medium: DVD
Arena: Comedy Magic
Available: Any shop, Distributed by Murphys Magic Supplies

I had never heard of Gregg Otto before and it seems it may be because he is more of a performer rather than a creator of magic. I like Comedy magic and saw that this DVD was produced by Martin Lewis and gave it a shot, I’m glad I did. First the production. The performance pieces were shot at the Castle and while shot well enough the sound just didn’t cut it. Who ever set up the microphones did so in a manner that recorded the audience very well but it is hard to hear Gregg. You can hear him but for my aging ears it was a problem, they need to get someone who knows how to set up mics if they plan on making future DVDs. The explanation parts and discussions between Martin and Gregg were fine.

I found Gregg to be extremely funny. His lines and routines are funny and his timing spot on. The lines will be used far and wide but I hope it is by people who do them justice. Unfortunately for those of you without comedy timing nothing will save you but you’ll find plenty to borrow here. The routines are not original except in some aspects such as how Gregg preps for his version of the bill switch. I don’t have a problem with this because the DVD is on comedy presentation not original presentation. The gags with a balloon were really funny and I will admit I’m going to use and add to them. I think it would have been great had they shown the entire show, with good sound, and then the explanations and thoughts, that way you could share this with your friends. The book test, which was the main reason I bought this as I like book test, is not explained as it is the costly Mother of All Book Tests.

I’m a bit mixed on this DVD. While I really liked Gregg and his presentations and the discussions the sound issue bothered me, perhaps not so much to those with better hearing. I also think they way it was structured, which is pretty much the standard in magic DVDs, could have, as I said, been all performance then explanations because Gregg is that funny and enjoyable to watch. Because I walked away with some tips and information that I will be using I guess this is a successful DVD and one I’ll be watching again. I think those wanting to see how comedy magic is structured and also pick up some good tips will like this DVD, for those looking for close up work and ‘original work’, you’ll want to pass it by.
Wayne Kawamoto
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of Wayne Kawamoto
I had similar thoughts about Otto's DVD:
http://magic.about.com/od/magicreview/fr/042208otto.htm

There are some great comedy bits here.

Another first rate comedy DVD is Niagara Comedy Magic Seminar 2007:
http://magic.about.com/od/magicreview/fr/021908funny.htm

I need to study both again.

-Wayne
www.Magic.About.com - Magic News and Reviews
Author: "Picture Yourself As a Magician"
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Thank you, I wasn't familiar with those DVDs.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Gregg Otto: New Comedy Routines for Magic (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL