The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » How to make shell more "grippable"??? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

andyvan3226
View Profile
New user
53 Posts

Profile of andyvan3226
Thanks in advance...

Does anyone have an idea for what I could coat the outside milled edge of my shell with, so as to make it more tacky or grippable?

I've tried rubber cement -- it's great at first, but then it pills up and sheds from the coin.

I'm practicing Steve Dobson's "Vacuum Cleaner Coins" from "The Works" and I love the routine. In the past, I used to use some glycerin (which affects all of my card work, unfortunately) but I would rather just stick something on the shell...

Thanks!
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
David Roth talks about using rosin in his lectures for people with grip problems.

Go to a local music (instrument) store and get a block of rosin used for string instruments like violins, etc... It will cost under $5. Then take the coin and rub the edges back and forth all the way around. It won't take much so don't over do it.

You'll then have a grip you can be proud of!

Mark.
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
I was going to suggest using some magician's wax. it you just slide it accross the edges it will stay like that for a good month or so depending on how often you use it. It will also stay there even after the clumping of the wax goes away or falls off. It will have a slight residue so that might fix your problem.

-Mark Tirone
MortenN
View Profile
Veteran user
Norway
338 Posts

Profile of MortenN
You can also do it another way. You can use some lotion on you hands and have better grip of both the Sh*ll and coins.

http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/manipulati......fdc7d7c4

http://www.magicproshop.com/hand-lotion-......502.html

http://www.ginjapan.com/eg/products/handaid.htm

-Morten-
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
This is never the response anyone wants to hear, but I used to have similar problems. then I practiced more. no longer a problem.

yes it will take more time then using somthing sticky but its more practical in the long run
feher
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1421 Posts

Profile of feher
Quote:
On 2008-12-12 17:17, Joshua Barrett wrote:
This is never the response anyone wants to hear, but I used to have similar problems. then I practiced more. no longer a problem.

yes it will take more time then using somthing sticky but its more practical in the long run

Bingo couldn't agree more Josh !!!!!!!! Quick fixes only hurt you in the long run.
The Captain
Tim
Mean people SUCK!!!!!!!
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1062 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
Years ago when I started out in coin magic I remember trying magicians wax, rosin, even spray adhesives. If these items work at all they are at best un predicatable. Just keep practicing and you'll gain more control over time. Re-milled coins with sharp edges can help and are a viable soulution if you have very dry hands and still have grip problems. It's not inexpensive but Jamie Schoolcraft or any of the coin gaff people can make re-milled shells and coins. I use Dean's set for one particular effect where the milled edges help.
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
MortenN
View Profile
Veteran user
Norway
338 Posts

Profile of MortenN
Practice is not always the only way to happiness, the hands must be usables before you can get more control. Some people have very dry skin on their hands, and "more practice" will not give more wetness to the skin.

After 35 years with cards and coins I still have very dry skin. I don't use "magic lotion", but my wifes moistures crem Smile CP is also much easier with wet skin after I have fixed my hands like a lady.. Smile

Yes, coins can have re-milled edge, but cards are always smooth.

-Morten-
CMNeff
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of CMNeff
Not necessarily a coin application, but I apply a very small amount of Zim's Crack Creme to my hands. This makes them slightly tacky but not so much as to affect card work, general picking things up, etc. It makes palming a breeze and gives me a bit of confidence, allowing the hand to relax more - a key element in coin work.

Note there are several types of Zim's out there. The stuff that looks like a white lotion and comes in s tube is NOT what you want. You want the stuff that comes in a spray bottle. One spritz, rub your hand together, you're good for a couple of hours. You can find Zim's on the internet but I've found it in some Walgreens, etc. so look around locally. It is normally kept in the same area as the Cornhuskers Lotion, 'bag balm', etc. for extremely cracked hands.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Quote:
On 2008-12-13 09:18, MortenN wrote:
Practice is not always the only way to happiness, the hands must be usables before you can get more control. Some people have very dry skin on their hands, and "more practice" will not give more wetness to the skin.

After 35 years with cards and coins I still have very dry skin. I don't use "magic lotion", but my wifes moistures crem Smile CP is also much easier with wet skin after I have fixed my hands like a lady.. Smile

Yes, coins can have re-milled edge, but cards are always smooth.

-Morten-

it won't make you have moist skin, but you can learn to adapt your technique. now if your unwilling to change how somthing is done, obviously practice will do less good
feher
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1421 Posts

Profile of feher
All I'm saying is one should not depend on creams to make things easier, I know my hands are alittle dry when it comes to the cards but I have adapted. What would happen if your asked to do some magic and you don't have the creams ???
Practice is the road to happiness. Just my two cents, but if you feel you need the the creams go for it and have fun !!!!!
Because in the end that's all that really matters, having fun !!!!
Tim
Mean people SUCK!!!!!!!
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
I have very, very dry hands. It is a constant battle, especially in the late fall and winter months. I do a few things that help.

1. I try to take care of my hands. I use products that my wife sells. (A salt scrub, a serum and a lotion).
2. I practice without any assistance from rosin, lotions or gripping aids to help develop more muscle control over the coins that is less dependant on skin condition.
3. I practice with rosin and a small amount of the serum (which adds grip if used in small amounts).
4. I stay on top of the condition of my hands and use whatever I need to in order to have the confidence and security I need to perform. (I do this by transferring a coin between JW grip, Mutobe grip and Purse palm often and making sure the coin is secure in those grips)
Wes
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Besides certain hand lotions, rolling kid's modeling clay in your hands creates a very natural feel for people with very dry skin (like mine)
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Yes, as they say that vile but true phrase - more practice, nothign rings more true.

With that said, hand skin condition is important.

Use an exfoliating scrub... keep your hands from getting dry.

don't go overboard with lotions and stuff... just use common sense, and practice.
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
Mick Little
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Mick Little
Hi all, I have only just joined this forum so I havnt yet had chance to introduce myself but I also have major problems purse palming coins, As I live in England I like to use English coins esecially old coins(Two Shillings,Half Crowns Old 2p Coins) most of these have milled edges but sadly the only Old British coins I can find with a shell have smoothe edges, I find easy grip lotions good for cards but no good for coins, I have tried sand papering the edges and even boiling the coins to get rid of any greasy stuff that might be on them.
Im not really new to magic or coin magic in general and have practiced for long frustrating periods of time the set I own at the moment are nearly three years old and I still cant get a shell off the mat onto a coin
So,any help would be highly appreciated
feher
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1421 Posts

Profile of feher
That darn purse palm gave me hell for awhile....lol I quite trying then one day I tried again and it was working not perfect but was able to get into position. now it feels natural and I can't beleive it gave me issues in the first place...lol funny how that all works.
I have no advice to give you on your issue sorry but I do feel your pain my friend.
Keep at it take it really slow, put the coin into position and really feel how it feels and keep doing it. try to remember that feeling so when you do get it into position and it feels that way you know your good. I hope that made some sense.
If not you didn't read a thing.
The Captain
Tim
Mean people SUCK!!!!!!!
Mick Little
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Mick Little
Yeh I read it ,cheers mate the main problem isn't lifting the shell off the coin ,its picking up the shell to put back on the coin the Old English coin is quite thin so this makes the shell even thinner and its edge dosnt help maybee I should go balls out and get a set of half dollers as they are the same diamiter
Mick Little
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of Mick Little
One other thing I forgot to mention is I don't polish the coins neither I just rub them with wire wool to brighten them up when they start to dull,as all copper does with continues handeling
Wes65
View Profile
Inner circle
I've said very little in
1219 Posts

Profile of Wes65
Quote:
On 2008-12-14 16:14, John Long wrote:
Besides certain hand lotions, rolling kid's modeling clay in your hands creates a very natural feel for people with very dry skin (like mine)

I bought some and tried this today.....very surprised with how well it works. Initially my hands did not feel as though they would have a better grip on the coins, but indeed they seem to. I tried it with several grips and four coin roll downs with unprepared coins all with good results.
Wes
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » How to make shell more "grippable"??? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL