The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Book Test "first words" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Alvo
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Alvo
If you have an opinion or preference, I'd love to hear it.

What's your answer to the following:

Does a chapter heading count as the "first words on the page" ?

Does a section heading?

Alvo
drswoboda
View Profile
New user
Milwaukee, WI
78 Posts

Profile of drswoboda
I'd ask them to look at the first paragraph and skip chapter and section heading issues.

-David
—"Honest to Goodness, I Only Cheat a Little" - Max Malini (1873-1943), Illusionist
sbays
View Profile
Inner circle
Burbank, CA
1065 Posts

Profile of sbays
I ask them to look at the first sentence. Or first word of the first sentence etc. Or to read the first sentence.
"Opportunity may only knock once, but temptation leans on the doorbell."
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Yes!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
MindSeeker
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of MindSeeker
I use the 'Brook Test' as this eliminates this horrible first word thing as an opening gambit. I think that it seems too controlling as an opening statement. It is a bold but simple way to have the spec select any word on the page, and the elegant out if it doesn't hit is that you go back to the first word on the page. But this time you have a reason for the using the first word on the page as they failed to send their initial choice due to the word being surrounded by other words etc.
Pit Boss
View Profile
Special user
573 Posts

Profile of Pit Boss
Or, ask them to read the first line of text. The word "text" tends to eliminate the chapter headings, etc.
p_n_g
View Profile
Loyal user
297 Posts

Profile of p_n_g
Is this question somehow related to your "booktest buddy" ?
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1747 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
Alvo,

I started writing an answer until I realized I was in "Penny" and not Inner Thoughts. I sent you a PM.

Bobby
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
Alvo
View Profile
Regular user
102 Posts

Profile of Alvo
P_n_g: Yes it is related. I'm trying to get a sense for what people's preferences are.

Alvo
NeilS
View Profile
Inner circle
3237 Posts

Profile of NeilS
Having come a cropper when I was not able to pick up the spectator's thoughts - sillly me - it suddenly dawned on me they may be thinking of a title or chapter heading. After this I always make sure I specify text, words on the first line etc.
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2597 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
If there's the possibility that something can go wrong it will, given enough shows, go wrong.

So even if there's a nano sliver of a chance of a specky picking a heading or chapter title or a written page number rather than something from the body of text....somewhere, at sometime, you can be sure someone will.

You can of course find easy linguistic ways around these problems but that doesn't get away from the certainy that it would be better if the possibility of the nano sliver of opportunity wasn't there in the first place..

Neal
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Decomposed
View Profile
Eternal Order
High Desert
12059 Posts

Profile of Decomposed
I had it happen to me a few times. You would think most would not pick Chapter as the first word but they are out there.

Candin
wordSMITH
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of wordSMITH
I was recently performing Marc Paul's AAA (love the thing - it's saved my arse so many times), and the gentleman I had invited up on stage was a notorious problem. I'd experienced him a couple of times before, and I knew that he'd be a bit of trouble.

The word I was going to reveal was 'PERFECT', and before we got into the final revelation stage, as he was still memorising the word, I picked up that "it's possibly the kind of word you'd use to describe me."

This obvious nudge moved him from the chapter title to the word I'd much rather he had read - and the reveal went perfectly.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Book Test "first words" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL