The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Cardboard sheets? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
And just to clarify, I never said there was coroplast (coregated plastic sheets) at Michaels, or to even ask for it there.

It was the cardboard sheets that I found at an art supply store.

And like I said, I have no idea whether Michaels would carry the cardboard sheets, although they carry other art supplies in addition to craft supplies.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
I've bought my sheets at the local renovation center.

Blair
Magic Kevin
View Profile
New user
Maryland - United States
77 Posts

Profile of Magic Kevin
Because Coroplast is used often for signs, sign stores will most definitly carry them. I actually used this material to construct my guinea pig's cage, and I highly recommend it. If anyone here uses guinea pigs in their acts, I am not sure how it would work with other small animals, but go here (http://www.guineapigcages.com/) for more information. Coroplast is flexible but strong, and if you ask nicely at sign stores they might even cut it for you to your needed sizes, as long as its not to many cuts, with their professional cutters. If you tell them its for a magic illusion they might become intrigued and want to help.
Kevin Smile
Martello
View Profile
Loyal user
Catskill Mountains
280 Posts

Profile of Martello
coachc
View Profile
Regular user
WV
130 Posts

Profile of coachc
If you live close to a glass manufactuer you can get large pieces of cardboard there that they use to transport large plate glass pieces.
Powermagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1437 Posts

Profile of Powermagic
So far I am only waiting from two box makers for a quote. The did not like to work with small orders and only are considering it since I used the magic card which interests them.

Question about the office max hinges. If it hinges, what keeps it locked after the panels are joined? I need to stay relatively flat on both sides.
If standing 6 feet high they need to be ridgid if I am piecing it together and if it still folds down for packing, all the better.

Posted: Jan 8, 2009 12:01pm
Well so far the prices seem high

For single wall 77"x99" a local place wants $35
For double wall (1/4" same size $38.25
He will be willing to cut them for me so I can get 4 panels out of two sheets.
I He also is willing to cut the 99" to the 6' height.

but I will still need some cardboard as a top. SO really I am not sure what a final cost would be.

I will have to price out foam insulation sheets suggested by IDOTRICKS.
I really did not think Cardboard was going to be that expensive.

The problem in part is that we are talking over $100 and the cost of black art material, to not even know if the illusion works or will be ever used again.

I am wondering if this price is way to high for cardboard.

In store sheets might work out better but they still need to be joined in a way that will keep the joint stiff as they stand 6 feet high.

I will have to rethink cardboard.

Posted: Jan 8, 2009 12:08pm
Ahh turns out a grammar school friend owns a shower door company. He said I could go through his dumpster. They get shower doors in 6 foot boxes. He said it is single core but pretty stiff. Hopefully I can find the enough pieces.

Posted: Jan 8, 2009 12:11pm
BTW thanks coachc for suggesting glass people. The first few I called did n0t get their glass in cardboard but suggested shower door companies which it turned out right in the next town over I found a childhood friend so as long as the sheets are not all busted up I can make them work. And probably will put more work into making them works since they did not cost an arm and a leg. However I suspect I might not get all the pieces in one day. It depends how busy my friend gets.

Posted: Jan 10, 2009 9:56am
No luck really from the shower guy. Box single wall and already folded or the other was 30" wide and did not have two to give. 36" I decided was better.

Then I stopped at an appliance store, home depot, AC Moore, Sears Hardware, and Lowes to find refridge boxes. No luck. Most say they remove them and bail them instantly so it is just luck of the draw since they do not save them.
I did take two dishwasher boxes which maybe I can make work. They are only 30" 48" tall so can cut them into two 36" boxes which will help with transport.

Now I just need the best way to join them but still be able to break down.
I have some thoughts but curious what others would do.

Thanks
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Cardboard sheets? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL