The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Mighty fine pickin! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Anyone here ever heard of Richard Smith? The man can lay out a lick!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFm1ojp_KhY&feature=related
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Jimeh
View Profile
Inner circle
Ottawa, Ontario
1399 Posts

Profile of Jimeh
That went straight to my favorites it did. My friend ya got good taste.
Keep posting the good stuff! Smile

thanks for that...
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Here's the "Watkins Man" from Chet's 1974 album "Alone" it was the last cut on the album and Chet plays it on electric, but Richard tears through it on acoustic here with breakneck speed! (With his own embellishments)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrVLC6NRFFM&feature=related
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Richard was a prodigy. Here he is at age 11 playing right along with Chet on stage in London.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfzDltcAbFQ

Halfway through the video he solos on Chet's "Little Rock Getaway" and sounds exactly like the record!

Eleven years old, mind you! Man, I never even picked up a guitar until age twelve or thirteen!
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
I loved watching Chet Atkins' expressions as young Richard Smith leaves him behind.

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2008-12-26 23:41, Stanyon wrote:
I loved watching Chet Atkins' expressions as young Richard Smith leaves him behind.

Cheers! Smile

But he was humble enough to allow Richard onstage with him and let himself be upstaged by a kid. Chet always very self effacing. He never understood why he was considered the best world wide. A perfectionist who didn't listen to his own records because he always said when he listened he would think " I could have done that different" or "I could have done that part better." Just never happy with himself.

Came a long way from the dirt poor mountains and hard scrabble of life in the sticks to playing with symphony orchestras. They were so poor that when they had a chicken for dinner, they were made to eat the entire bird...head and all. Not made up. True story.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Mighty fine pickin! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL