The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Beyond your character (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

meijen
View Profile
New user
Colombia
14 Posts

Profile of meijen
I'm developing my persona and I like and enjoy some themes such us mind reading or thought transmission. I have found a problem though and it is that I don't really believe in them.

As long as the routine is done the way I wrote it, without many interruptions I don´t have difficulties, but it has happened to me that after (or during) the tricks some people start adding more information or asking questions about those topics and I feel that I step out of my character and I start talking as a non-magician.

Do you think a magician should "act" their character all the time or just while he is performing?

Do you think I will overcome this kind of problems when I've developed my character better?
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Don't do them if that bothers you.
Do magic that you do believe in, like levitation, or color changing card. Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
My philosphy has always been that you stay in character whenever someone asks you anything pertaining to magic or the magic that you do. My character is an exagerated extension of myself, so for me, it is very easy for me to jump directly into character amnytime I feel I need to.

One must be comfortable with the character you become and are portraying to the audience. You must also know your character so well that jumping in and out of character is second nature. For some, writing down a bio about their character helps them to get to know the character better in their own mind.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Big Daddy Cool
View Profile
Inner circle
1604 Posts

Profile of Big Daddy Cool
For more on this I recommend my book Theatrical Magic, but a good solid character is going to be an outgrowth of your own personality - whether an amplified version of your self or a separate persona. So, whether in or of of character, you will maintain a certain degree of that character.

When I started out as BDC, he was a separate character that I put on and took off. Over the years he has become more and more integrated with the offstage me. Almost to the point that I am almost always in character if in public.
We'll catch ya on the Back of the Cereal Box!
Johnny
www.johnnybeyond.com
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
My personal experience is to leave the character on stage (usually).

Working a lot in the comedy club circuit, I found it really annoying to deal with other performers who didn't know when to turn it off. The same is true with magicians.

I have many on stage personas depending on what type of show I am doing. Off stage, I usually prefer to be a polite business man when dealing with other adults.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I haven't seen many mentalists and the ones I have seen seem to pretty much be themselves and just go into character when attempting thier feats.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Beyond your character (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL