The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » 1950's Change Bag (can somebody tell me the maker) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

remote guy
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
534 Posts

Profile of remote guy
I know this change bag is over 60 years old but that's all I know about it. Does anybody know who the maker is?

http://i514.photobucket.com/albums/t346/......2393.jpg

Thanks,
Nick
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
That's GENERALLY known as a P&L Change Bag, but there should be a P&L stamp on the metal somewhere. I've seen some where the stamp was very light, and some I KNEW had to be P&L, but there was no stamp. A collector can tell by the quality of the welding/brazing where the ring is connected to the handle.

Nice piece

Steve
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Either P&L or Abbott's. Some P&L were not stamped. Abbott's are not stamped.

richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
remote guy
View Profile
Special user
Maryland
534 Posts

Profile of remote guy
Thanks for your help guys. I have looked all over this piece and cannot find any stamp. I did notice the braze joint you are talking about. I am a H.V.A.C. tech. and have done my share of brazing and this has one heck of a nice joint, took a lot of skill to get such a clean look.

Nick
Magicray69
View Profile
Veteran user
Tampa Bay
369 Posts

Profile of Magicray69
Definitely looks P&L. Originally had a gold tassle at the bottom, unless it is the zipper model.
There was a time I had the blues,

the reason was I had no shoes.

Until I met upon the street

a man who had no feet.
magicdoctor
View Profile
Veteran user
Wi.
377 Posts

Profile of magicdoctor
Wasn't that the one that was just for sale on the Café? Look towards the end of the handle for a stamp.

Michael
Michael Von Schroeder [url]www.vonmagic.com[/url]
newman1066
View Profile
New user
North Carolina, New York, Vermont,
53 Posts

Profile of newman1066
Quote:
On 2009-01-05 10:50, Magicray69 wrote:
Definitely looks P&L. Originally had a gold tassle at the bottom, unless it is the zipper model.

It does appear to be a P & L piece.

The first one that I ever purchased in the 50's for the princely price of $7.50 looked exactly like the one pictured with a metal handle, with the hallmark, no tassel or zipper on it.

The zippered one was referred to as "The Comedy Change Bag" and cost $5.00 more if memory serves me correctly.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » 1950's Change Bag (can somebody tell me the maker) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL