The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Rope thru neck (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Loyal R
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
417 Posts

Profile of Loyal R
Give me your opinion : Will you perform the Rope thru neck trick in a kid birthday party show?
Dare to Dream...
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
Many (if not most) kids know this as a party stunt.

Bob
Loyal R
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
417 Posts

Profile of Loyal R
So is that a good idea to do it?
Dare to Dream...
Magic from A to Z
View Profile
Elite user
Sweet Home Alabama
479 Posts

Profile of Magic from A to Z
Yes... Why would it be a bad idea?
Loyal R
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
417 Posts

Profile of Loyal R
Don't know... bad exemple?
Dare to Dream...
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
It's been done for years, and I think the only ones who it may impress are the kids that age. I've never been compelled to show it, but when I have...I follow it with bulging eyes and a loud sound to add to the comedy.
This is usually followed by, "I can do that".
So, one might ask that you learn something else?
I've never heard of a kid hanging himself after seeing it or trying it. Maybe a little rope burn from an overzealous try.
If you feel this effect has EV (entertainment value) then go for it.
I think the theatrics of the performance would make it acceptible, as long as its not presented as a puzzle. Maybe follow thru with a full body rope penetration.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
When in doubt... leave it out. Do rope thru leg. Rope thru body.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Scott Alexander
View Profile
V.I.P.
1471 Posts

Profile of Scott Alexander
I tend to agree with Pete. Better to err on the side of caution.
-Scott

Visit my PRO MAGIC SHOP

www.scottalexander.bigcartel.com

Website

www.scottalexandermagic.com
Loyal R
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
417 Posts

Profile of Loyal R
I will look at that... I always did it but I have a special show for kids tomorrow and I relise that it can be dangerous.

Is there a Ebook for a ungimmicked rope thru body because my show is tomorrow so I will not have time to order a rope thru body.

And if I want to perform the rope thru body... I need to know how....
Dare to Dream...
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
You live dangerously if you perform an effect that you haven't practiced yet. Not that it is terribly difficult. This effect is in library books. Since you don't have much time, here is a method that is quick and workable for you.
It is not a preferred method, but I believe it is right up your alley. Click the link.
http://www.learnmagictricks.org/ropethrubody.html

Here is another version and a different method: it shows it and then you can print the instructions:
http://www.activitytv.com/693-ropes-thru-body
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
If you have Tarbell of Encyclopedia of Rope... you can do rope rings coat (grandmother's necklace principle)... no skill required.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I do it all the time, but I have never done it for kids.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
My buddy Gregg Solomon and Dan Dyer teaches it in his kids magic classes for years.
That, and rope thru body. They teach the loop of rope and do the fast version where you grasp the loop with the thumb, not the double wrap around version. I believe that would be less troublesome as you don't wrap the rope the rope around the neck..it is a true pass thru and fast.
MarceloElGrande
View Profile
New user
78 Posts

Profile of MarceloElGrande
Ungimmicked rope thru neck:
"Tenkai's Rope Through The Neck" in Expert Rope Magic Made Easy by Daryl DVD Vol.#3
"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." (Steve Martin)
"We are all amateurs, life is too short for us to be anything else" (Charlie Chaplin)
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Tenkai's move is fabulous. I think it works as well for adults than children and, with a good script, the symbolism attached (no pun intended) speaks more to adults than kids.
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1181 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
I do this for kids all the time. "Don't try this at home, children ... try it at school" or "Go next door and try it".
Jolyon Jenkins
Loyal R
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
417 Posts

Profile of Loyal R
Finaly, I just didin't do it.
Dare to Dream...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Rope thru neck (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL