The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » What's the date of the oldest coin you use? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Silvertongue
View Profile
Inner circle
One day I will die leaving behind
2426 Posts

Profile of Silvertongue
I have a 1756 silver reale
For as long as space exists,
And living beings remain in cyclic existence,
For that long, may I too remain,
to dispel the sufferings of the world.
-Shantideva

Engaging in the Conduct of a Bodhisattva
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
I was once told to only use "old coins" -- those caressed a thousand time in prcatice.
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2231 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
1912 English Penny I use with White Star
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
rutabaga
View Profile
Inner circle
Toronto, Canada
1283 Posts

Profile of rutabaga
Great advice Funsway!
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
"The Iron Crown of Morgoth"
"An ancient coin from the reign of Melkour (named Morgoth, "The Enemy" by the elfs) in Angbaund some 5,000 years ago. The pieces in this hoard appear to be of one of the earliest varieties, and were found sealed in a clay jar with oil, and thus are in astonishingly fine condition given their extreme age. Inscribed in primitivistic runes "MLKR" on obverse and "ANgBNd" on reverse. The iron crown of Melkor shown on obverse with the three Silmariuls, and the dragon representing Ancalagoun the Black spouting flame on reverse above the battlements of Thangorodruim. . Ancalagoun was later slain by an arrow shot by Eareundil himself from the back of an eagle during an epic battle in which the fall of Ancalagoun from on high smote Thangoroudrim to utter ruins and spelt the defeat of Morgouth. These coins were issued by Melkour as a medium of exchange for his slaves and minions, for purposes of gambling, purchases of weapons, and rot-gut liquor."

And YES, I actually use this coin!
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Count Zapik
View Profile
Loyal user
UK
205 Posts

Profile of Count Zapik
For me...1883 is a great date to have on a silver coin. The year the planet experienced the monumental eruption of Krakatoa. Makes me feel as if I'm walking around with the weight of real history in my pocket. I suppose it's a human being thing.......! In truth it maybe means nothing at all.
I feel as if I have been whisked here from another life....it may even have been my own!
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FL
879 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
10.000 BC
Profits over people are a common thing . Be uncommon and be the best .
Mobius303
View Profile
Inner circle
Lakewood, Ohio
1309 Posts

Profile of Mobius303
1882 Morgan Silver dollar
1879 Copper coin

I have one that is an 1878 or 1879 worn almost smooth coin that I always carry with me.

I like the feel of these old coins.

I have one from J757 ?? I think that means it is from 1757 but who knows. I liked the look of this coin and it is a little bigger than a Silver Dollar or Walking Liberty Silver dollar.

Mobius
The Wizard of Hearts
View Profile
Veteran user
Tulsa, Oklahoma
323 Posts

Profile of The Wizard of Hearts
Quote:
On 2009-05-29 19:35, TWOCAN wrote:
10.000 BC

And the date on it included the "B.C." part, too?
Decibel33
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of Decibel33
I googled ancient coins just so I could fit in. So, here's mine from the year 312...

Actually I have no idea how old that coin is, but my oldest coin is probably from the 1980's

Click here to view attached image.
Douglas Lippert
View Profile
Inner circle
E Pluribus Unum
2343 Posts

Profile of Douglas Lippert
All my coins are 1921. Smile
Douglas Lippert
Former I.B.M. Ring #8 Secretary
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2009-05-30 00:12, Decibel33 wrote:
I googled ancient coins just so I could fit in. So, here's mine from the year 312...

Actually I have no idea how old that coin is, but my oldest coin is probably from the 1980's

do you actually use that coin?
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
funsway
View Profile
Inner circle
old things in new ways - new things in old ways
9987 Posts

Profile of funsway
I do not do a lot of coin sleights - arthritus, but ustacould and prefered to use said sleights with other objects than actual coins -- stones, nuts, etc. So, my Dad had this slice of wood from a Bristle Cone Pine cut back in 1904 before such things were illegal. It was larger than a silver dollar and somewhat difficult to use, and appreciating its value, I gave it to a museum. They counted 3271 growth rings, plus another 105 since it was cut -- that's 3376 years old!

Does that count?

I've also used petrified Sand Dollars -- maybe 3,000,000 years old, but can't tell; but it does beg the question of what "coin" means. Must be used as "money?" Roman soldiers were often paid in salt, the source of the word 'salary' and even "soldier" by way of "solidus" - an ancient gold coin that replaced salt wafers. So, is doing a Salt Vanish performing a 'coin' trick? I think not, but what does "coin" mean to a lay spectator and does it make a difference?

Probably should become a separate thread. -- or die in shame ;-)
"the more one pretends at magic, the more awe and wonder will be found in real life." Arnold Furst

eBooks at https://www.lybrary.com/ken-muller-m-579928.html questions at ken@eversway.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » What's the date of the oldest coin you use? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL