The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » White noizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Over the last two months, I have been experimenting with white noise as it relates to a more restful sleep. When I'm well rested, I accomplish more and am more productive during the day. I have never had trouble going to sleep due to outside noises, but decided to seek a deeper, more relaxing level of REM sleep.

My first step was to purchase an inexpensive MP3 player that would be specifically designated for my white noise. I bought a twenty dollar Coby brand MP3 player off of Amazon. I already had some comfortable low profile ear phones. I use ear phones because my wife doesn't claim to need white noise. I disagree, but that's a whole other thread. Smile Oh I should note that I originally tried ear buds, but they would fall out of my ears during sleep. That's why I switched to the ear phones.

I found some commercially available rain, river, thunder storm, and ocean waves, but wasn't really happy with any of them. I then had the idea of mixing my own with some public domain and royalty free rain sfx on my music editing software. It resulted in a ten minute "song" of a steady rain which after it played, would automatically re-loop on the MP3 player and start over again.

I found the short pause as it looped to be annoying because I rarely fall asleep in under ten minutes, so it was back to the software drawing board to stretch it. I made it longer, but it seemed to still be missing something. Thunder! I added thunder and tested it the next night. The thunder was too violent and would actually jolt me awake just when I would start drifting. Back to the software the next day and I exchanged the loud abrupt claps of thunder for soft rolling thunder and tested it that night.

It was much better and much more restful, but was a bit monotonous. I went back to the software again and added sfx of ocean waves that sloooooooowly fade in while the sound of rain is slooooooooly fading out - making the transition of sounds very subtle. I edited again in a few days to add a few seagulls and really subtle pan and flute music to the ocean waves.

After two months of trial and error, I now have achieved a custom piece of white noise that although an hour and 14 minutes long, provides me with a most relaxing sleep.

It can help to mask loud neighbors stereos, barking dogs, and traffic. An atmosphere of rain and soft thunder is especially relaxing, because one feels they cannot go out to work and they are cozy, warm, and safe under the covers of their bed. The sound of steady, rhythmic ocean waves provide a sensation of relaxation and calm. Ocean waves may also remind one of a relaxing and calm vacation they once experienced. But putting it all together made it perfect!

In the vain of magicians helping magicians, I'm happy to share my finalized, original, and thoroughly tested sleep inducing "music" with my brother and sister magicians.

I've temporarily uploaded it to my web site. Just right click and save target as... http://www.lyndel.net/temporary_stuff/rainyocean.mp3 It will take a little while to download because of it's length, but it's worth it. If you use it let me know how it worked for you!

Lyndel
Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
Interesting Lyndel! I have a noise machine at my shop that I use when I have to stay overnight. Because of all the outside noise (dumpsters, blowers, hooligans, etc.) it can really be tough to get a good night of sleep, but with the noise machine I sleep through it all. I will try your mp3 file and check it out. Thanks man!

Scott
Magic is an art. I am merely a tour guide.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Compton-Magician/160270640674735

"You are the magic" Jay Ose to Albert Goshman
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
John Tesh?
.:Michael Kelley
On the Level, By the Square
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I was listening, waiting for the joke...but I fell asleep.

Lyndel, where's the joke?
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Or just do what I do.... be a deaf magician. I hear nothing at night. You could drive a MAK truck through my bedroom with screaming kids and the entire cast of the Wizard of Oz and I would still not wake up. =)

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Quote:
On 2009-01-03 11:48, stoneunhinged wrote:
I was listening, waiting for the joke...but I fell asleep.

Lyndel, where's the joke?

Ha! You sound like my wife!

Can't I ever be serious!? GEEEZ! LOL!

Lyndel
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
The culprit of my white nights is the BBC... LOL
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Jordini
View Profile
Inner circle
2765 Posts

Profile of Jordini
I just turn on a fan, and that works wonders.
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Quote:
On 2009-01-03 13:09, Jordini wrote:
I just turn on a fan, and that works wonders.

Maybe I should try THAT so I stop getting the urge to wee wee at least twice during the night - what with all the water sounds and all! LOL!

Lyndel
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
This weekend I was at a motel with a hot tub. It didn't seem loud, but it canceled out everything. I'm not as good of a lip reader, that I thought I was.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I am. lol
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
You don't have to be deaf in both ears, just one. I always turn my good ear into the pillow and, like Schultz from Hogan's Heroes, I hear Nothing! Nothing! Smile
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
Pete Legend
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1401 Posts

Profile of Pete Legend
I downloaded it! I think its great! Smile Nice one Lyndel!
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Did anyone notice this optical illusion? White noizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz the zzzzzzz seem to tilt to the south at the ending.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
ElectricBlue
View Profile
New user
90 Posts

Profile of ElectricBlue
Sounds really interesting Lyndel, Have you researched much about binaural beats? You should google it some time, very interesting stuff.
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2181 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I just listened to it and I feel like I've lost 5 hours of the day, its gone dark quick.
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Quote:
On 2009-01-04 19:41, Rupert Bair wrote:
I just listened to it and I feel like I've lost 5 hours of the day, its gone dark quick.

Well, it must work then! LOL!

Electric Blue, Yeah, I read a little about that when I set off to make my own recording. It IS interesting stuff!

Lyndel
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » White noizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL