The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Another Extreme Burn question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
I just got, made and practiced Extreme Burn. Like everybody else, I'm over the moon. I have some handling questions that I'm curious about...

Do you use 4 or 5 (visible) bills? I'm starting with 4 -- it helps me keep the handling simple and casual.

Also...do you do the reverse change back to ones (or paper or whatever)? It resets so nicely, and the effect is so impressive, it's almost irresistible not to repeat it. But somehow I think it might be better not to.

Pros of switching back to ones:
* Leaves the wad perfectly reset.
* Allows you to do one of the other gorgeous changes.
* Gives the audience a chance to know what's coming, and still be dazzled.

Cons of switching back to ones:
* Losing all that money is somehow disappointing and anticlimactic.
* Even though I don't think there's much danger of discovery, a smart audience member will know that everything is still right there somewhere.
* Makes the effect look too easy.
* Slightly less magical the second time.

What's everybody think?

-Daniel
jprace
View Profile
Inner circle
2209 Posts

Profile of jprace
I use 5 bills, it just seems more natural to me. And I always change them back to $1s, I say if I don't it's called counterfeit. It all works into the patter.
afknight
View Profile
Elite user
499 Posts

Profile of afknight
Quote:
On 2009-01-06 22:42, magicman4646 wrote:
I use 5 bills, it just seems more natural to me. And I always change them back to $1s, I say if I don't it's called counterfeit. It all works into the patter.

Me too, although my patter is somewhat different but I do change them back to ones.
jocdoc
View Profile
Inner circle
Carlsbad, CA
1183 Posts

Profile of jocdoc
I explain that my wife gives me a few dollars a week for allowance, but I discovered a way to make those 5 bills go a long way by changing them into 5 twenties. If my wife happens to walk in on me, I demonstrate that I can quickly change them back to ones and she's none the wiser...
Life is an improv. The game goes on...
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1359 Posts

Profile of M Sini
I use 5 bills because I think it helps with cover to a small extent, plus since I use 1's to 20's, I like to show that I turned $5 into $100. Somehow $4 to $80 just isn't as cool to me.

I do change them back but not to the same audience. When I approach the next group of people I use a different patter and show the 5 20's and change them back to 1s.
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
Thanks guys.

Yeah, I may try working with 5 bills again. I agree that is might help with cover.

I will also switch to twenties soon.

Quote:
On 2009-01-07 10:32, herdman14 wrote:
I like to show that I turned $5 into $100. Somehow $4 to $80 just isn't as cool to me.

Totally agree. : )

-Dan
nicky
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of nicky
Can this effect be done with foreign currency?
Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3349 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Yes it can.
Ragnu (the O.K.)
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Ragnu (the O.K.)
I love this effect! I think it may be one of the most visual and magical close-up effects I've ever done!

I use 4 $1's that turn into $50's. One thing I've discovered after doing this for awhile is that there is a lot of heat on the bills after the transformation(s). I added a rubber check at the end of my presentation to use as motivation to ditch the bills and add a little final chukle. My shtick is as follows:

"Let me show you something that I think is so much fun, it borders on illegal. Well, that may be overstating it, but it sure as hell drives cashiers crazy! Especially at the supermarket. (I can't help it, I'm convinced there's a ten-year-old kid trapped somewhere deep inside.) I love doing this on Saturday mornings, when it's my turn to do the shopping; and, I've just unloaded a week's worth of groceries from the cart. (By the way, are you ever the designated shopper? ... Then, I'm sure you can relate.) As they're checking me out, if I'm feeling particularly mischevious, I'll casually reach into my pocket and take out a wimpy, wad of ones; and just stand there and wait. When they're at the last few items I can almost feel them looking over, watching, wondering 'How the heck does he think he's going to pay for all of this?' When I'll look down and just mumble to myself, 'One, two, three, four... I think I'll need a little MORE!

Well, that's better. Let's see, fifty, one, one-fifty, two; M'am, I'm pretty sure that this should do!'

I wish you could be in line with me. People freak! I once had a little old lady stagger back and go "Hay-zeus!" Better yet, are the young kids, who are like startled deer and'll go "Ahhh!" and then reach for the mike 'Assistance! Register three!'I'll say, 'Please, come on, stop! You don't have to go there; if this is too much for you to handle, relax. In the time it takes to blink; we could start all over again!... Now you guys do accept personal checks, don't you?!'."

Well, there you have it. The choreography of the effect pretty much follows the patter. It's become one of my favorites! (Thank you Richard Sanders!)

All my best,

Jay
mleskanic
View Profile
Regular user
152 Posts

Profile of mleskanic
I use 4 bills in total because it is less bulky and easier to conceal all of the bills, I normally change the bills to 5's then back to 1's because it is "not legal" or counterfeit, but if I get the opportunity like Richard says then I will pay with them and obviously not switch them back.
justinwebb
View Profile
New user
41 Posts

Profile of justinwebb
I personally prefer using the 5 bills instead of the 4. I personally have almost gotten caught using the four so I switched to five since it gives more cover. but anyway I look at this trick it is amazing and well worth all I gave for it. I love richards idea .
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
Ragnu -- I like your story a lot. Thanks for sharing it in such detail.

Mind if I borrow and adapt?

-daniel
Ragnu (the O.K.)
View Profile
New user
7 Posts

Profile of Ragnu (the O.K.)
Dan,

It's my pleasure. Go for it! One other suggestion... Actually, do it at the supermarket and see what reactions you get. Sometimes your best lines will be reality based!

All my best,

Jay
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Another Extreme Burn question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL