The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Name of an effect? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tank5030
View Profile
Regular user
Portsmouth, VA
151 Posts

Profile of tank5030
Hey guys. I'm sure someone here will be able to answer this very quickly. I am looking for the name and a source for this effect. The magician has 2 silks (or streamers) of different colors and twirls them together and reveals a striped silk with the 2 colors. (often it seems to be white and red) I have seen it most often in manipulation type routines. I understand that it is a blendo effect, but did not know if this particular variation had a specific name. It is not a dye tube type handling, it is more "instant". I have tried to search for some info but I keep getting a lot on standard blendos. If you guys could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it. Thanks.
Jef Eaton
View Profile
Special user
526 Posts

Profile of Jef Eaton
I thought it was El Duco's. It was a black and white silk to a diagonal black and white striped silk. If I remember correctly there was no gimmick just a clever set up.
I don't know if it is available or not but you can get diagonal stripe silks in an 18 inch size in black and white or red and white from Bob Sanders I believe. I hope that helps.
kandumagic.com
<BR>jjeaton@aol.com
<BR>Creator of what my Mom thinks are the funniest kid show props around!
tank5030
View Profile
Regular user
Portsmouth, VA
151 Posts

Profile of tank5030
Thanks jjeaton,

I have the diagonal silk. Anyone know where I can find the set up or handling?
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I'd imagine it is a color changing silk setup with the slide ring.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
eb02
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of eb02
Hi
What you are looking is the El Duco's zebra silk.
His method is very simple, in a way looks like Blendo.
I am doing this effect in all of my show but using the D.. T...
I am starting by changing a white silk to a black silk, than "explain" how it was done and finishing with changing the white and the black silks to the zebra silk.
It's a great routine which I love doing.
Eran Blizovsky
www.magic4business.net
James Adamson
View Profile
Special user
Deatsville - Holtville - Slapout, AL
945 Posts

Profile of James Adamson
Definitely El Duco's Zebra silk which normally comes in black & white. You see a lot of magicians use Red/White for more of a contrast with their tux or clothing color.

There is not a true gimmick that comes with the set, more of an assistant aid, but I do not use the aid.

You can also do the virtually the same effect with John Booth's Blendo fold as shown in Rice's book #3. It is a different fold and instead of it rolling downward from one corner, it unfolds from two corners, one corner in each hand. It can be used with the final silk being up to 36".

David Ginn sells a version of John Booth's Blendo where he has 4 smaller colored silks tied together that changes to the 36" final.

One of the best adaptions that I have seen was a Korean magician who did the standard El Duco and then changed the striped silk to a striped streamer, very pretty.
Be remembered for performing what looks like MAGIC, not skill.
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Bob Sanders and I came up with a red and a white silk change to a red/white stripe on a flag stick.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
tank5030
View Profile
Regular user
Portsmouth, VA
151 Posts

Profile of tank5030
Thanks for all the tips so far guys. Here is a clip of what I am referring to.
Check out 2:25- 3:30. Is this pure sleight of hand or is there some kind of helpful gimmick?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JXotvlOtGkQ

Posted: Jan 11, 2009 12:05am
After some more research I believe it is El Duco's. So is there anywhere this kind of handling is written up?
eb02
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of eb02
The White to Red is using the D.. T...
The zebra part is like the El Duco's version no D/T.
Eran Blizovsky
www.magic4business.net
tank5030
View Profile
Regular user
Portsmouth, VA
151 Posts

Profile of tank5030
Is El Duco's handling written up anywhere other than by buying his effect? I already have the silks, so I didn't want to buy the whole set.
revmike
View Profile
Special user
Annville, PA
646 Posts

Profile of revmike
If you PM me or e-mail directly with your E-mail, I can help you out with El Duco's instructions. My e-mail is revmike@ptd.net.
The magic is not in our sleights and illusions, but instead in our ability to bring love and joy.
tank5030
View Profile
Regular user
Portsmouth, VA
151 Posts

Profile of tank5030
Thanks for all the help guys. I really appreciate it!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Name of an effect? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL