The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Float that Table (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
I slammed my head against
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
Heya Friends...I've just puchased an custom losander table from the man himself and I've got a burning question in my mind. I'm not looking for awnswers or an easy way out but just inspiration. Question is, how would you present a floating table illusion? We're not talking about just floating the table... but how could we present it as a theatrical piece?
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Well, there's the obvious "haunted" theme.

You might also consider a theme with a windstorm.

Possibly, a "mad scientist" thing where he invents something lighter than air, and when he sets it on the table, it floats, taking the table with it.

Your "wife" bakes a cake "lighter than air", and she proves it to you when she sets it on the table.

Just a few brainstorming ideas...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Another couple of ideas:

Somehow, the room begins to "fall", and the table stays in place. This would require some mime skills, which it looks like you might possess.

If there was a way to place a bird cage and bird on the table, you could feed the bird "Acme Vitamins", a la Wile E. Coyote, and the bird could fly up and lift the table with him.
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
The paint on my face I a character I've developed. he's not a mime. hahaha then again I dun blame you for the assumption. Any more ideas??
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Play it like a Zombie Ball...

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
I do not understand why you would buy this if you have no idea of a presentation. Does it not come with a suggested presentation? If you bought this from Losander, why not contact him for suggestions?
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
Take a look at Derren Brown's historical premise.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
Quote:
On 2009-01-17 07:51, magicians wrote:
I do not understand why you would buy this if you have no idea of a presentation. Does it not come with a suggested presentation? If you bought this from Losander, why not contact him for suggestions?

As far as I'm aware, the Café is a place for magicians to help magicians. I've posted in this thread to get a different idea on how to present the illusion. Just because I state I am waiting for a custom table does not mean I don't own a table now. I'm simply looking for other ideas and alternatives. that's all. I'm sure we've all had an effect that we've had to revamp and change the presentation after a long time performing it. That's all that's happening now.
bry1513
View Profile
Veteran user
373 Posts

Profile of bry1513
Kyle, don't let the people on here who feel the need to make negative comments discourage you. It's the thing I have never understood on here and there is way too much of it. There is nothing wrong about buying something that interests you and asking questions about it. You are right, that's what this board is for. It is for people who love the art of magic and want to learn. No matter if you are a novice or pro you should feel comfortable coming here and asking questions. Good luck with your table.

Take care,

Bryan
IDOTRIX
View Profile
Elite user
Darien,il
467 Posts

Profile of IDOTRIX
Hey Magicians, how much stuff is in your little closet that you don't use? Kyle, it's a great trick and I'm sure you'll comeup with an excellent routine and you will get some help here from a person willing to help. Good Luck
magicians
View Profile
Inner circle
Teacher and Legend
2898 Posts

Profile of magicians
Quote:
On 2009-01-18 08:55, IDOTRIX wrote:
Hey Magicians, how much stuff is in your little closet that you don't use? Kyle, it's a great trick and I'm sure you'll comeup with an excellent routine and you will get some help here from a person willing to help. Good Luck

I don't know why anyone would think my comment was a negative one. Constructive suggestions come with background information and then we proceed from there. I have been a magic dealer since 1974 and have guided the purchases for Rudy Coby, Jeff McBride, Clayton McBride, Lance Burton and others based on routining and need. Now, the Losander table is a very unique prop, as it depends on the showmanship of the performer more than its actual secret.
The detailed perfomance suggestion that arrives with the table, along with several suggestions for alternate performances and the availability of Losander for additional help is why I found the question unusual.

I do not have any untried or unused magic in my little closet. I only perform my own inventions and original routines that I have developed.
I do have an inventory of magical knowledge and encyclopedic reference to magical methods. There was nothing negative about my question, it was dead serious and required in order to find out the mindset of the buyer.

Once again, these are legitimate questions and I do not mean anything negative by this. But, if you want a good routine or suggestion, I needed more information.

At the age of 17, it is good that he asks advice and wants some new and fresh approach. The items in his show now, seem to be of a good variety. I would suggest that Kyle do away with the Zombie mask routine, however, as it is definitely a signature piece that should not be emulated.
Illusionist, Illusionist consulting, product development, stage consultant, seasoned performer for over 35 years. Specializing in original effects. Highly opinionated, usually correct, and not afraid of jealous critics. I've been a puppet, a pirate, a pawn and a King. Free lance gynecologist.
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1850 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
The Floating Table is one of many magical effects that I just don't get, from a staging standpoint. Why a little side table? Most guys have the table just sitting there, and lead into a routine, zombie floating it around, ok, cool great, whatever.

Were I to do it, I would have a couple of chairs beside it. Have a volunteer come up, and perhaps engage in a card trick that would make use of the table for it's apparent intended use: to support something, if only a couple of playing cards. Finish the trick, and then lead into a magical/spooky/weird/haunted effect using the floating table.

Another approach might be to do a gypsy thread routine with a candle on top of the table. Finish that, and then lead into the floating table.

IMHO, many magicians simply do not provide the audience with a reason why that little table should be on stage in the first place. I think it is far more effective to make the audience believe that it is really intended to be a table, and then something magical happens to/with it.

My 2¢

Chris
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
When you think about it, levitating a table makes little sense when there are many more interesting things that could be levitated. Why should a table take off and begin to float around... for reasons other than the fact that you have the gimmicks available to make it happen?

In a spooky séance, it makes a bit of sense. Everyone is gathered around a table, holding hands, and the table begins to bounce around a bit, perhaps even lifting up from the floor. Ohhhhh! Spooooky! The spirits are among us!

But on a stage, a magician walks over to one of his small tables and it begins to float. Cute. But then... on and on it goes because he's darn well going to get five minutes out of this expensive prop. When it begins dancing to ballet music... I give up. What's that all about?

So, the above suggestions to take the attention away from the table (I especially like the one about the cake that is lighter than air) are in the right direction you should be taking with this prop. However, that cake idea is a little fantastic from the very beginning. Here is one that is a little more realistic before it becomes a lot more fantastic:

Start with a helium balloon, perhaps "borrowed" from a kid in the audience. We all know that helium balloons float. To perform magic with the helium balloon (you need to come up with a reason why you borrowed it in the first place... I'm not going to do all your thinking for you!) you pick up a Styrofoam "weight" from the table and attach it to the string on the balloon. The weight is not heavy enough to hold it down and it almost gets away. You remove the weight and toss it to the floor (sound effects- ker-thunk!). Now you tie the balloon to the table itself and suddenly you have a reason to levitate the table. It's a little fantastic... but it proceeds from a logic based in reality.

I would end it by making the helium balloon disappear and the table settles back to the stage. Then I would find the balloon has reappeared inside a large gift box illusion, still attached to the boy from the audience... but that's another story.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
For sure, for sure guys!

I've always said to make logical sense,
there should be two side tables that match,
and one just "happens" to be the one that floats.

OR if you just have one,
you should have a reason why it is haunted or magical,
even the fantasy of magic nees a feel of "magic logic".

And, with any floating piece,
less is more, far less is much more!
A cane, maybe about 15 seconds,
a table maybe 45 seconds,
a ball under 2 minutes.

I hate the thinking that $$$ = time-on-stage!

Come up with a premise, a story, a plot,
and a magically logical reason for the table's powers,
then work on a presentation from there.

I agree with Ian, Christopher, and Spellbinder all the way.

Magically,
Walt
videokideo
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of videokideo
My losander piece runs about 10 minutes total and is the final act. I talk about the "haunted" theme. A light bulb is placed on table and it lights up, then explodes. I then bring a spectator up. I hold another bulb in my stretched out hand, hold the spectators hand, and ask her to touch the table.. .when she does the bulb in my hand explodes. I then take button up shirt off and hold it in front of me as newspapers, bells and other items fly off of the table. Then we go into the floating bit.

I didn't just want to represent it as a floating table, but a table that has extreme manifestations no matter what props you introduce.

My suggestion is add other pieces to the table to incorporate an entire routine.
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
Bryan and IDOTRIX, thanks for the support. Ian, I never took your message as a negative one. I'm cool on that. BUT, I just wanna add a lil something. Nothing personal, just that, the videos you saw of me, ( I think you did) are from 2005/6. I'm 20 now dude! hahaah... But yes, I'm sill growing and shaping my act.

On the Zombie mask, I understand its somethin McBride does and I'm not saying I'm right to perform it. Then again, I think its a very very different presentation and the entire theme of the mask act which I presented long ago was different too... Then again, I don't perform the mask act for commercial shows.

To all on this thread. Thanks for the input. Keep them coming. Chris and Walt, you guys got me thinking. The table needs to be more involved in the show.
Loyal R
View Profile
Elite user
Canada
417 Posts

Profile of Loyal R
Quote:
On 2009-01-18 08:42, bry1513 wrote:
Kyle, don't let the people on here who feel the need to make negative comments discourage you. It's the thing I have never understood on here and there is way too much of it. There is nothing wrong about buying something that interests you and asking questions about it. You are right, that's what this board is for. It is for people who love the art of magic and want to learn. No matter if you are a novice or pro you should feel comfortable coming here and asking questions. Good luck with your table.

Take care,

Bryan

It's completly true!
Dare to Dream...
deliveryboy
View Profile
New user
97 Posts

Profile of deliveryboy
Tie it in with other floating objects in a logical manner to give reason for the
table floating.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Float that Table (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL