The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Fire starters. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Pauldela
View Profile
Special user
U.K
882 Posts

Profile of Pauldela
I will be living in Austrlia for two months soon, and shipping over seas flash products (paper, cotton, string ect) is forbidden, and to buy it in AU, is costs 16 USD for the regular 20 sheet pad.

I am aware that from some placed fed ex ships, but that would cost a bomb and too much for me.

I'd like a flahs product that can produce a coin or coins as an opener, instant reset (or very very close), reliable and not a wallet (as I already have my card to wallet)

If anyone could make some suggestions it would be apricated, preferable taking cost into count.

Thanks,
Paul.
meyegr
View Profile
Special user
Only able to muster
800 Posts

Profile of meyegr
Quote:

Why don't you buy a bunch before you leave and take it with you?

I'm sure airport security won't mind Smile
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Ii might be illegal to perform flash products in certain areas of Austrlia. You are taking a big chance. Is the act worth going to jail over?
Pauldela
View Profile
Special user
U.K
882 Posts

Profile of Pauldela
Sure is, THE SHOW MUST GO ON!

Ok but in all seriosunessnemsouness now, I will ask the manager first - and I doupt they will chuck me in jail for a small flame (I only use a quarter of a small sheet) and well away from anyone.

I can adapt my act to not use it, but I would prefer.
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I always check with venues regarding any fire I use and while fire-eating is sometimes not a preferred option, I've very rarely had any problem with flash paper.

I bought a huge supply a couple of years ago from TheatreFX and it only cost a few dollars extra to have it shipped legally (prior to that I bought it from regular magic suppliers who just tossed it in with my other purchases).

Destiny
martin king
View Profile
Elite user
416 Posts

Profile of martin king
Nice to see you're still around Paul.

Here's a site with an e-book that you can buy that explains how to make your own flash paper...

http://www.lulu.com/content/679562

Hope this helps and warmest regards,

Martin
puggo
View Profile
Inner circle
2022 Posts

Profile of puggo
I love fire magic, but my 'day job' is as an operational Fire Investigator for the London Fire Brigade, and I get to see rather a lot of burns etc. Just to be a soggy old spoil sport, I've copied a few quotes (below) from one of many other threads here:

"Yes, I know how to make flash cotton/paper
No I will not teach you the recipe for the following reasons.
1-It's a lot cheaper to buy it
2-It's a lot SAFER to buy it
I'm not trying to be mean or anything, so please don't take it the wrong way. However I'm a FF/EMT and I can tell you from experience both to myself and others that it isn't worth the risk of being burned just to save a few bucks!
I'm sure if you have used anything flash (paper/string/cotton) then you know how fast and easy that stuff burns. It really isn't worth the risk at all. Plus it's not really that safe to store at home, I do TONS of fire magic. However not even I, keep flash paper/cotton/string around the house as I don't want anyone to have any accidents. Do me, the other members of the Café, and more importantly yourself the favor and just buy the stuff!"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"A few years ago a friend of mine tried making flash paper at home....he thought it would be cheaper. The stuff ignited and blew the door off his wifes new oven. Luckily no one was hurt. Buy it....just buy it!! "
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"A few years ago a video was created explaining how to make flash paper. The guy was in his back yard with thick rubber gloves on, a face mask, and handled everything with tongs. The chemicals needed were not something that I would want to mess with."
"..I was working at an awards ceremony doing walk round, when a man asked where I bought my flashpaper. I asked him how he knew about flashpaper and it transpired that he owned a pyrotechnic company. He said his company didn’t make flashpaper because the chemicals were a serious carcenogenic. I’m happy to just buy it.!!!"
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Puggo, it is a good thing you did not display the method because that is one of the rules of The Magic Café.

I do have the method in a chemical magic book.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Table hoppers & party strollers » » Fire starters. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL