The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Losing Training (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

amazenyou
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
95 Posts

Profile of amazenyou
Hey guys,
Well, I'm still on my road of research before getting my winged feathered friends (corny, I am aware). I have been studying some training techniques and had a question.

I was wondering how long I can go without daily training with my birds? For example, I have a friend in California who is going to the Marines in June. So, obviously, I want to go see him beforehand. So I'm probably going out this spring for about a week. My family can feed my birds, give them attention, etc. but obviously can't train them. Also If my family was going on vacation for a week or so and I left the birds with an exotic bird boarding place nearby, would all this be disastrous to their training? I know allot of guys have to fly to gigs all over the world and can't take their birds with them, so what do you do and how to you keep them trained?

Thanks guys,
C
Youth Writer - Linking Ring Magazine
If you know of a youth that should be featured in my article, let me know!
www.cliffbumgardner.com
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4854 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
There are several answers to this question. If the birds are fully trained, then it doesn't hurt them if they go a week or so without practice. I have a bird that I don't usually use in my act and haven't worked with him for about a year. I took him out of the cage just the other day and although at first he was a little flighty, he calmed right down and remembered what he had learned.

If you are in the middle of training and leave them alone for awhile, you may have to back up and retrain a bit. When I go on vacation, my family feeds the birds for a week or so and there's no effect on them when I return. It's like learning to walk. If you don't get up and walk for a week, you might be a little stiff but you don't forget how to walk.
Where the magic begins
amazenyou
View Profile
New user
North Carolina
95 Posts

Profile of amazenyou
Quote:
On 2009-01-21 12:38, Dave Scribner wrote:
There are several answers to this question. If the birds are fully trained, then it doesn't hurt them if they go a week or so without practice. I have a bird that I don't usually use in my act and haven't worked with him for about a year. I took him out of the cage just the other day and although at first he was a little flighty, he calmed right down and remembered what he had learned.

If you are in the middle of training and leave them alone for awhile, you may have to back up and retrain a bit. When I go on vacation, my family feeds the birds for a week or so and there's no effect on them when I return. It's like learning to walk. If you don't get up and walk for a week, you might be a little stiff but you don't forget how to walk.

Thanks, Dave, that is exactly what I was hoping to hear!

C
Youth Writer - Linking Ring Magazine
If you know of a youth that should be featured in my article, let me know!
www.cliffbumgardner.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Losing Training (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL