The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Association of Family and Kidshow Performers » » Why join KIDabra International (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Alex Palombo
View Profile
Regular user
Abington, Pennislyvania
105 Posts

Profile of Alex Palombo
Why should someone join the KIDabra International? I'm in SYM. What is different?

Click here to view attached image.
Philadelphia SYM Assembly 96 Member
Magicians' Alliance of Eastern States Member
Smile MAGICIAN DIRECTORY member
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
Each magic organization is different. SYM and MYI are specifically for children and teens, and provide support at that level. IBM and SAM have a general focus on a variety of magic topics and venues.

KIDabra International is specifically focused for performers of kid shows and family shows. Their publication, the KIDabra Journal, and their Conference, reflect that focus.

For more information on the benefits, visit their website: http://www.kidabra.org

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
Donald,
Not wanting to play devil's advocate here but most won't get to the convention, and there is no chapter near me.\

The fees are much higher than most magic type organizations yet the forum is secret so we really don't know how much good info is in there.

These are a few reasons I have still hesitated.
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
First year in IBM is $65 U.S. Additional years are $50 per year.

First year in SAM is $65 U.S. ($75 U.S. for Canadians).

First year in KIDabra International is $60 U.S. Additional years are $49 per year.

So, the fees aren't "much higher". They are comparible.

And yes, IBM, SAM, and KI all have their own conferences / conventions, for members to benefit from. BTW, I also don't know if I agree with the statement that "most won't get to the convention". I had the understanding that about 1/4 to 1/3 of it's total members attend. That's a higher percentage than the other organizations and their respective memberships.

One difference is the number of magazines per year. With KI, you do get 6 instead of 12. In my opinion the KIDabra Journal seems to have less advertising, and more focus on content.

For some, they might see the Journal as the only benefit for their money. For others, they see more than just the Journal as a benefit. (Personally, I see more than just the Journal, and I've talked about it on your other thread.)

I'm not here to push a membership on anyone. If it's not right for you, that's fine.

- Donald
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
Not accusing anyone of anything. It's called research
Burnaby BC
www.baconandfriends.com
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
At one time, the pastor in our church talked about people coming to meet with him, wanting to become members of our church.

They wanted to know what the church was going to do for them, and what benefits they would get, by attending (and possibly giving offerings / tithes).

The pastor asked them in response what they were going to do for the church, and what benefits they would bring to the church, by becoming members.

Some focus on what they can get. Some focus on what they can give.

My experience with KIDabra International has been with people like Dennis Dowhy and Roger "Skip" Way (and some others). They are great examples of "givers".

- Donald
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
A little defensive aren't we?

I am just determining if it is a good investment for me, not trying to "take" anything.
Burnaby BC
www.baconandfriends.com
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
I'm sorry that you are perceiving my posts as defensive.

I'm just trying to be helpful. I'm sure they helped someone.

- Donald
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Donald, is absolutely right, except what he forgot to mention is most of the dues go toward printing and mailing of the journals. Unlike the many thousands of SAM and IBM members, we are a focused small group, and do not at this time, the luxury of having so many non-participating members. On a good year most members attend the conference, and realize what they have been missing all these years. I know I did.

As a members, you can submit an article for publication and if it benefits the membership, it will be published. This organization leaves their egos at the door and shares "giving" to the membership.

As for the forum, Neale, you did participate when it first was an open forum and you do remember all the articles and routines. You did contribute and did mention that what you liked about the KIDabra forum is there was no arguing or bickering between users. That still holds true.

Dennis
Dennis Michael
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
Dennis,

Thank you. At least someone remembers I did contribute.

I am sure I will be joining as soon as shows pick up again and I have a bit extra cash.
Burnaby BC
www.baconandfriends.com
Julian Franklin
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, TX
139 Posts

Profile of Julian Franklin
Or joining so you can get the magazine which (if read and applied) will probably result in shows picking up again and getting a bit of extra cash?

Just poking you in the ribs, Neale!

Julian Franklin
Educational School Assemblies
Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
Julian - no arguement there but I have to have the money first to send in. I don't think they do memberships on the credit Smile
Burnaby BC
www.baconandfriends.com
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
"I don't think they do memberships on the credit"

If you mean credit Cards, they sure do!
Dennis Michael
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Association of Family and Kidshow Performers » » Why join KIDabra International (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL