The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » MAGIC - The Magazine For Magicians » » Feb Issue of Magic Magazine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Rizzo
View Profile
Inner circle
East Coast
3349 Posts

Profile of Rizzo
Nice couple coin routines by Mike Runenstein and Mike Gallo in Feb,09 new issue. Just an FYI in case you missed it!
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
In the March, 2009, issue of MAGIC, there is an article on "The American Zig-Zag Scandal." I was at that show when I was 14 years old when Jim Sommers presented his "brand new" "The Impossible"- an exact copy of Harbin's Zig-Zag Girl. His version at Abbott's if I remember right had a silver metallic finish to it, and was the only trick that he did. He quite frankly was lying about his doing the trick as an original "new" illusion. It did floor everybody there at the time, the first time most of us had ever seen a Zig-Zag. After that, it was proformed dozens of times over the years at Abbott's by just about every illusionist for years to come. I had a simular reaction when a magician at Abbott's did one trick only- THE ECLIPSE. This is where a huge, round steel plate disappeared slowly and reappeared on the other side of the stage visably behind a paper frame. Just a fantastic thing to watch at the time...
smith83
View Profile
Regular user
178 Posts

Profile of smith83
How was he revealed
MagicBus
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Michigan
2869 Posts

Profile of MagicBus
Jim Sommers was "found out" through a series of protests- see the March issue of MAGIC. Just a fascinating story where ethics in magic actually won out- and magicians rallied around when it was clear Harbin's original Zig-Zag girl was stolen without permission. I am not sure if this would happen today, even if a masked magician revealed how David Copperfield flies. I love MAGIC history, and this is one of the few instances where I can say I was there when it happened.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I do not have the magazine in front of me but it should be noted that Bill Larsen was so furious about the theft; he refused to mention the offender by name. And he never did mention his name again.

Try to get that done today.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
andykean
View Profile
Special user
U.K - Now living in New Zealand Auckland
939 Posts

Profile of andykean
Very interesting story!
Harbin was a genius by all accounts.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » MAGIC - The Magazine For Magicians » » Feb Issue of Magic Magazine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL