The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Drawer box -- are there plans? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Comedy Writer
View Profile
Special user
594 Posts

Profile of Comedy Writer
Are there blueprints for building a drawer box?

thanks

CW
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
You don't need them. You can make your own. I have made drawer boxes from business card size, up to large rabbit size. If you know how the insides work, you have it licked. Then you can make it whatever size you want.

One tip: Start with the outer components, and work your way in. It's easier to micro-adjust the fit that way.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
I agree with Michael. It's less problematic to make the case before the drawer.

The only caveat is weather you are making a locking drawer, from the knob on the front. In that case the front panel must be thick enough to accept the lock. Another element would be the main drawer top cleat, which should be just large enough to cover other panels that happen to come it's way.

While there are several other options to choose from (hold back, options, including a little dove tail work, possibly)....... Why not just borrow one from someone at your club and copy it, but to your own standards?

The most important aspect of the project is to make every panel completely square..... (measuring each panel from corner to corner, square.... that's how square they need to be because of the nature of the beast)
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Jim Gerrish has a gimmickless drawer box that he uses in his shows. It has confounded more than one magician who has sneaked past the Wiz Kid security guards to watch one of their shows. The box is taken apart and one kid gets the outer part, while another kid gets the drawer part. They put the two parts together and each time they do this, something appears inside the box... usually a silk, but he has had the Wiz Kids also use it to produce the shoes at the end of his O.O.P.S. routine. If there is enough interest, I will nag him to see if he is ready to give it up and sell the plans on-line.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Just came across this.

Professor Hoffmann's Modern Magic has a cut-a-way, on page 344.
lin
View Profile
Special user
California
877 Posts

Profile of lin
More references to Drawer Box construction:

Hay, Henry 1949 'Cyclopedia of Magic, (the illustrations are from Hoffman)

Sachs, Edwin 1885 (reprinted 1980) Sleight of Hand, pp. 300-306

Hopkins, Albert 1901 Magic: Stage Illusions, Special Effects, and Trick Photography, pp 127-128

Piesse, George William Septimus 1865 Chymical, Natural, and Physical Magic, pp. 99-100

Mr. Leslie, however, provides the best reference (Hoffmann) with respect to useful illustrations and a description of the workings.

I'd be interested to learn what other references are out there. Anyone else care to add to the list?

cheers
vicmalvo
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of vicmalvo
Does anybody know if the plans are in any of Ian Adair's encyclopedia of dove magic books?
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11172 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Quote:
On 2012-11-06 20:26, vicmalvo wrote:
Does anybody know if the plans are in any of Ian adairs encyclopedia of dove magic books

If they are, they won't be more than a simple description of how they work. I doubt they would be workshop plans.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Drawer box -- are there plans? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL