The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » A Lifetime of Magic - Genii The Conjurors' Magazine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1359 Posts

Profile of M Sini
Just got my new issue of MUM yesterday and found this ad interesting:

Genii is now offering you the opportunity to become a Lifetime Subscriber and not only recieve Genii for the rest of your life for one pay-it-now price, but also to help support this great institution in our field that has been published since 1936.

The amount is $1,000 (US), $1,550 (outside US).

Here's what you recieve:
1) A lifetime subscription to Genii, The Conjurors' Magazine. (The subscription is non-transferable- it is only for your lifetime. If for some reason Genii is sold to another company in the future, that company will be required to fulfill all subscription obligations."
2) Any books the Genii Coporation has published free of charge in the past and future. So, we will send you both THE VERNON TOUCH and THE LOST NOTEBOOKS of JOHN HILLIARD free of charge. Any books we publish in the future will also be sent to you free of charge. (One of our earlier publications, 100 by WARLOCK, is out of print.)
3) A choice of 3 books from Kaufman and Company, also free of charge (individual books with a retail price over $100 are excluded from the offer). You must select from books that are currently in print at the time of your subsciption.
4) A lifetime membership to the Genii Archive, the online database which allows you to access, search, save and print out copies of Genii published between 1936 and 1998.
5) A mock-up of the cover of Genii with your photograph on it.
6) Your name will appear in each issue of Genii under the new banner of "Lifetime Subscibers and Supporters." (You may opt out of this if you wish to keep the transaction private.)
7) 50 random issues of Genii published between 1936-1998.

We offer a payment plan of 3 equal installments over 6 months.

wwwe.geniimagazine.com for more information

Depending on your age, this looks like a pretty good deal.

If the current subscription price of $54 never goes up (highly unlikely) it would pay for itself in about 18 1/2 years, not counting the other bonuses.

Mario
MoonRazor
View Profile
Special user
848 Posts

Profile of MoonRazor
They need to sharpen their pencil on that offer.
snape
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of snape
Not sure I understand, MoonRazor. Don't you think this is an excellent offer?
greatchach
View Profile
New user
Texas
82 Posts

Profile of greatchach
If that doesn't seem worth it to you, I'm pretty sure they still have the 3 year deal running as well which allows you to pick up a book (Vernon or Hilliard) with it for $15.
Fred Johnson
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of Fred Johnson
Does anyone know if Genii's lifetime is dependent on how many buy the lifetime deal?
Thales
View Profile
Elite user
You may have read one of my
415 Posts

Profile of Thales
If you think that you are going to live for another 19.6 years and that you will be getting Genii Magazine all that time (3 year subscriptions) then you will be getting your money's worth with a lifetime subscription. Add onto that the books and other freebies, not to mention possible future price increases, then the life time subscription is an even better deal.

That said I do not have the 1 grand to drop on this right now and therefore will not get the lifetime subscription.
"If you can't change the method, change the moment." Vernon
BarryGon
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of BarryGon
You have to take the time value of money into account (i.e. a dollar is worth more now than in the future). In addition, you have to assess what is the probability that Genii won't be around in the next few years.
Thales
View Profile
Elite user
415 Posts

Profile of Thales
You are right that the value of money will like be worth less in the future but since the cost of Genii will likely go up at about the same rate if not more then we should be able to cancel out those points.
As for Genii not being around in a few years I do not know what that likelihood of that is but it has been around since 1936 or so which would seem to indicate that it has been doing something right. But who know what the future will bring?
Bertrand Thornley
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa, FL
278 Posts

Profile of Bertrand Thornley
What if I die next year. From...uh...you know...being startled into a fatal heart attack by a barking pumkin, or something like that.

p.s. my apologies to FZ
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business." Tom Robbins

Personal Revelation: I'm not a hippopotamus
amerigo
View Profile
Veteran user
Can't believe I only have
318 Posts

Profile of amerigo
I think it's a good deal if
1. You have the cash and
2. Genii continues to be around
3. You continue to be around

You are getting 5 books plus access to the archives . Not to mention a subscription to a great magic magazine and all future published books.
Magic is Everywhere
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Also note that nowhere in the offer does it say that the Genii you will receive for life will continue to be a paper based magazine.
Thales
View Profile
Elite user
415 Posts

Profile of Thales
Quote:
On 2009-06-06 11:12, silverking wrote:
Also note that nowhere in the offer does it say that the Genii you will receive for life will continue to be a paper based magazine.

It would be cool if they switched to a clay tablet based magazine, although a little impractical I must admit.
NYCJoePitt
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of NYCJoePitt
Quote:
On 2009-06-05 17:46, Thales wrote:
You are right that the value of money will like be worth less in the future but since the cost of Genii will likely go up at about the same rate if not more then we should be able to cancel out those points.now what the future will bring?

That just means that we should have taken advantage of this deal yesterday!
jclightman
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of jclightman
Anyone know if this is still a thing?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » A Lifetime of Magic - Genii The Conjurors' Magazine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL