The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Opener (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

lejon
View Profile
Special user
721 Posts

Profile of lejon
Dear all,

I am looking for an opener during which I can demonstrate my superior mathematical/memory powers.

ive looked into M.... Sq..... but somehow I do not manage to connect with them.

could someone point me towards known effects?

Thanks
gh256
View Profile
Loyal user
251 Posts

Profile of gh256
You could do a "Knights tour" chess style effect?
Is there anything specific you can not connect with the ma*** s*****? Have you tried it on someone you know to see there reactions?
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
'Day of the week for any date'.
magus
View Profile
Special user
Huntington Beach, Ca
669 Posts

Profile of magus
crappy deium-

what a lousy day to be seized

thaumometer-

a device for measuring a magical field
Suffolk
View Profile
Veteran user
400 Posts

Profile of Suffolk
Quote:
On 2009-02-06 18:06, gh256 wrote:
You could do a "Knights tour" chess style effect?
Is there anything specific you can not connect with the ma*** s*****? Have you tried it on someone you know to see there reactions?

You could open with a Knights Tour..... If you wanted to die on your arse.

While a great effect in the hands of a good perfomer (Lior Manor sells a fabulous tool to present it btw) it's a long involved performance that demands emotional involvement from the audience. They need to give a *** about wheither you are going to suceed or not - You need to have built that rapport before you perform something like Knights Tour.

Openers should be quick involving and entertaining.

Marc Salem opens witha M Sq but his presentation fits my requirements.

Doug
gabelson
View Profile
Inner circle
conscientious observer
2136 Posts

Profile of gabelson
Bob Cassidy's last effect from "Mental Miracles"; his memorized deck routine. It's so strong, however, you may not be able to follow it. But it is a tour de force.
eSamuels
View Profile
Inner circle
3085 Posts

Profile of eSamuels
Magic Square seems like the perfect routine to meet your requirements.

Have you performed it often, or only a few times?

From your phrasing "...somehow I did not manage to connect with them.." I wonder if it's possible that it was not an issue with the effect, but something amiss in the performance on this occasion.

I may be wrong, but I would urge you not to dismiss the routine without considering
the performance, as magic square can come across as a boring memory trick, or, when performed well, can really confound people!

Watch John Archer perform the square on 'Educating Archer;" not to copy his approach, but to get a sense of how strong it can be.
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
How about Giant Memory if it doesn't have to be math? Ala Baker, Richardson and Osterlind, this is hugely entertaining via the manner in which you involve the audience. Tons of room for humor, as far as you are willing to take it.

Or Mr. Hyde just released Volume II of his Notebook that is devoted to an incredible magazine memory effect. I like this a lot and there is a thread in the ebook section you can check out.
goldeneye007
View Profile
Inner circle
London
2429 Posts

Profile of goldeneye007
Check out Richard Busch too, he's got some work too, published recently.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2009-02-06 19:55, Bill Cushman wrote:
How about Giant Memory if it doesn't have to be math? Ala Baker, Richardson and Osterlind, this is hugely entertaining via the manner in which you involve the audience. Tons of room for humor, as far as you are willing to take it.

Or Mr. Hyde just released Volume II of his Notebook that is devoted to an incredible magazine memory effect. I like this a lot and there is a thread in the ebook section you can check out.

What is giant memory bill?

J
MrHyde
View Profile
Special user
810 Posts

Profile of MrHyde
Giant Memory = Amazing Memory Test see... Corinda Chp 3
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Quote:
On 2009-02-06 17:45, lejon wrote:
Dear all,

I am looking for an opener during which I can demonstrate my superior mathematical/memory powers.
.…

How about learning how to be a perpetual calendar?

A nice feature is that you can connect with the audience members on a personal level, by telling them on what day of the week their particular memorable date fell, e.g. their kid's birthday, their wedding day, etc.

I invented my own method - but there are others out there. (When Greg Arce performed it at the Magic Castle, it was hard for me to restrain myself from whispering the day before he could calculate it. Perhaps I'll release my method one day, if I'm begged enough.)

Good luck with it - it's a winner effect!

Arnon

P.S. Being a perpetual calendar also comes in handy in real life. Smile
eb02
View Profile
Special user
680 Posts

Profile of eb02
Hi

As an opener effect I would recommend mobile opener by Lior Manor.
It’s a great open effect exactly what you are looking for.

Regarding the magic square, look at my web site for the MathMagic. It is easy to follow routine and the board is a stage size and very light.
Eran Blizovsky
www.magic4business.net
lejon
View Profile
Special user
721 Posts

Profile of lejon
Thanks all for input.

exactly what I was looking for.

thanks again.
lejon
View Profile
Special user
721 Posts

Profile of lejon
Quote:
On 2009-02-06 18:30, magus wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqY_q7riL-w

great ressource thanks magus....
magus
View Profile
Special user
Huntington Beach, Ca
669 Posts

Profile of magus
You're welcome.
It was a pretty good show.
Kind of reminded me of a "Malcolm in the Middle" episode...
crappy deium-

what a lousy day to be seized

thaumometer-

a device for measuring a magical field
Logan Five
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1434 Posts

Profile of Logan Five
If you like cards, may I suggest to you Sal's Memory Opener by Sal Piacente. I believe that's on his Expert Card Magic Vol 1 dvd. The spectator shuffles the cards at the start of the routine and at the end of the routine. The routine builds to an unbelievable climax. People will think you have super human abilities, it's that strong.

Rick~
Self concept is destiny..
Patr!ck
View Profile
New user
92 Posts

Profile of Patr!ck
I do a quick RPS sequence with a
member of the audience.
It works well.

Patr!ck
Paul Spaniels
View Profile
Loyal user
Hull, UK
249 Posts

Profile of Paul Spaniels
Yeah the calendar thing is a good one, but can get a little hard from the 50's upwards especially if you're under a little bit of pressure and not particularly hot at maths. Like Arnon I've found a way to make this a lot easier too, you just have to play with the numbers a bit til you get a pattern.

And Corinda's memory test is fantastic, it can astonish people to the point where they think it's a trick when it really is just a feat of memory! It even astonishes me and I'm the one doing the remembering lol!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Opener (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL