The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » The Sound of Chain (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

WRandall
View Profile
Regular user
NYC, USA
121 Posts

Profile of WRandall
Does anyone know why certain types of steel chain make a nice, metallic "ringing" sound when the links hit together, while other steel lengths just kinda make a "clacking" sound? (how's that for technical lingo?) The latter type almost sounds like plastic if you hold a bunch in your hand and shake it, and it's not half as loud as the former type. What's the difference? (My guess is it's the type of coating on the chain, but it's just a guess)

Reason I'm asking is I'm working on a trick using chain, and I can't seem to find the right size links that also make the sound I want. I'm sure that reads like an unimportant detail, but having the right sound matters to me with this trick, and maybe educating myself on this will help me track down what I need. I figure if anybody knows the answer, it's gotta be somebody in this section. =)

Thanks for reading,
Will
lgallion
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of lgallion
I would think it probably has a lot to do with the formulation of the metal (harder would probably be better) and perhaps how it connected (welded or simply pressed together), rather than purely the size of the links. The sounds you desire is the result of a long sustained high frequency vibration (like a bell), while the in the 'bad' chain the vibrations die down quickly resulting in a 'clunk'.

Of course that doesn't really help you pick out a good sounding chain, for that you might try going to places that sell 'chain by the foot' like Home Depot/Lowes and practice clanking the chain before buying (if nothing else you will probably entertain the other customers ;-).
Michael K
View Profile
Loyal user
Hazleton, PA
249 Posts

Profile of Michael K
Try Tractor Supply Company as well as Home Despot and Lowes. TSC is great for rope.

Michael
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
TSC is great for all kinds of useful hardware for escape prop construction.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
WRandall
View Profile
Regular user
NYC, USA
121 Posts

Profile of WRandall
Thanks guys, I'll look for a TSC in my area and trek out to the Lowes in Brooklyn. Like lgallion said, the customers & employees there are in for quite a concert. "Excuse me, is this an E or E flat chain?"

"Security!" Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » The Sound of Chain (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL