The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Ortiz- why does he do this? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
magicfish
View Profile
Inner circle
7016 Posts

Profile of magicfish
Quote:
On 2009-02-18 02:23, Enzo wrote:
Quote:
It's kind of like paying to go to a magic auction only to find the two guys in front of you are having a classic pass battle.

Why? Do you pay for the Magic Café? If you don't like it, don't read it.

Quote:
As usual, the way you see it, (video vs. in person), has a lot to do with the way you see it. Point made earlier - by Scott Guinn, I believe - the camera doesn't blink!

I agree completely with everything you write, but I don't think seeing something on a video is necessarily an advantage. A video, for instance, does not allow you to change angles (and it allows the person performing to choose the optimal angle). Advantages of a video would be multiple replays, slow motion etc., but in this case, the point was made that it was visible on first seeing the video. I think it is safe (in this case) to conclude that it also would have been in a real performance.

Of course it would make a real difference if the move were performed in a real setting ("under fire"), i.e. only dealing a single card from the center maybe in an entire play, without announcing beforehand that you are going to cheat, or people even knowing that you are able to cheat.

.Ditto.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I ran into this thread quite by accident, as I generally don't visit the worker's forum anymore, even though my interest is in cards. But the search engine brought me here, and the result was a clear reminder why I don't visit this forum.

The ratio of noise to content is truly astonishing.
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3226 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
Cinemagician wrote:
Quote:
I have noticed that when ribbon spreading the deck (most often in a horseshoe pattern) Darwin Ortiz exerts pressure on the pack as one would do if springing the cards from hand to hand.

I assume that this is done in order to ensure an even spread showing all indices -
but whenever I have tried it I have noticed just the opposite- that the cards spread more unevenly for me then if just spread without using the pressure.

I guess it's just a knack one has to acquire but does he explain this anywhere in any of his work?

below is a video of this procedure in case you aren't sure what I'm talking about- look at around 50 seconds or so.

youtube.com

I haven't found it in any of Darwin Ortiz's works, and I believe I own all of them. That doesn't mean it's not in one of them. While I have read them all many times, I might have forgotten something. I don't think he published that though. (And, if it's in there, I'd have to re-read all his books again to find it, which I will eventually do anyway, because they're all great books).

I also haven't yet gotten the knack of whatever he's doing. I had noticed his technique for this, and tried long before this topic was created. I can make a pretty good spread though, but it's not as good as his. His looks almost perfect.

I also haven't been able to find where this is published, if anywhere.

Robert Giobbi wrote in Card College 1 that the ribbon spread flourish is first described in Les Secrets de la Prestidigitation et de la Magic, or the Secrets of Conjuring and Magic by Jean Eugene Robert-Houdin. I went to that source, and what's there is less descriptive than what's in Card College 1, but it's essentially the same technique. It's also the essentially the same as the technique described in The Royal Road To Card Magic.

I didn't find a description of this flourish at all in The Expert At The Card Table, in The Card Magic of Le Paul, or in Expert Card Technique, although there is mention of cards being spread on a table in all three of those books.

I'm also curious about the origin of this.

Darwin Ortiz does post here. You might want to contact him.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
When Darwin does it, it's pretty. But for most, certainly for me, correct pressure of the right forefinger as you ribbon spread creates just as pretty a spread. No? HL.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3226 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
I do the ribbon spread that way too Harry.

I found this in Miracle Shuffles and Tricks by Hugard And Braue:
Quote:
Since it is advisable to make a neat, fast ribbon-spread, the following new method of making such a spread is recommended: Grasp the pack at the ends between the right thumb and second and third fingers. Bend the ends upwards, thus making the top concave. Place the deck so held upon the table and press down upon its top with the right first finger, the center of the convex bottom alone touching the table. Move the pack from left to right swiftly and the cards will spring from the grasp of the right fingers with a riffling sound and form a perfect and symmetrical ribbon. This spread may be ten inches, or three feet long, depending upon the pressure placed upon the deck with the right forefinger.

That still isn't what Darwin Ortiz does, he uses a convex bend, not a concave one. I'll keep looking.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
I think most of us spread like Mr. Lorayne says, though I would like to know, and learn the Ortiz style.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
ASW
View Profile
Inner circle
1879 Posts

Profile of ASW
The reason Darwin uses that handling is because with mastery it allows precise control and even distribution of the cards. That's why Darwin can do the perfect closed circle spread, a flourish he appears to have invented.
Whenever I find myself gripping anything too tightly I just ask myself "How would Guy Hollingworth hold this?"

A magician on the Genii Forum

"I would respect VIPs if they respect history."

Hideo Kato
Chris Stolz
View Profile
Inner circle
Mississauga, Ontario
1958 Posts

Profile of Chris Stolz
Quote:
On 2009-02-13 06:58, The Mysterious Kid wrote:
@Lawrence O
Where have you seen Bill Kalush? Here in Europe?
I've heard so many great things about him, but unfortunitly never saw him.

Regarding Ricky Jay did he do a real center deal or a demonstration like in 52 assistants? As far as I'm aware Martin A. Nash couldn't do a "real" center
(Meaning to put four cards on the bottom, cut the deck and than deal the cards from that spot). The Technique Mr. Nash use(s)/d was original to him and is very good for demonstrations.
Andrew Wimhurst is the only person I'm aware of, who uses a real center deal in magic today. Regarding the usefulness at the card table of the center deal one should have a look at Steve Forte's PP Book

Martin does do a true center (in a couple different ways). That's where I learned how to do it.
plungerman
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of plungerman
By way of too much criticism, I would like to give great congrats/props to ASW above for bringing up Johnson's wonderful point. It's true that as we study the moves we can get mighty picky about technique that's way beyond our own. It's instructive to notice how divisive those opinions can become once we start sharing. Is it sharing or blaring? It not only depends on the mood of the critic but on the mood of the reader of the critic. Soon you are five layers deep and still swinging.

I was about to repeat the old saw that you can tell a bad egg without being able to lay one. But, having layed my share of eggs I can say Mr. O's technique leaves little to be desired.

I think he may spread the cards that way as part of breaking them in. As he uses a new deck each show he can use all the finger exersize and card abuse he can come up with.

P
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » Ortiz- why does he do this? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL