The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » One of your more bizzare sports (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
First up, Magnus Eisnegrim -vs- Chessman!!

Let's get it on!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_boxing
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Let's say, I'd pick Vladimir Klitschko over Gary Kasparov. Anyone for bets?

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1995 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
"Skilled chess players and skilled boxers"

From the chess players and Boxers I have met I am led to believe one person would not be able to do both things.

Magnus looks like a badass though.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Wow! What an interesting combination of skills!

Not sure I agree that there should be a one-minute pause for change of equipment - it would be necessary to be able to move a piece, but the alternative would be to have a "corner man" move it *for* each competitor. However, the competitor could always state, "He misunderstood and moved the wrong piece!" I suppose just one glove would need to be removed.

The mental drain on each competitor would be great indeed, especially since the variety of chess played would be speed chess - 12 minutes per game (meaning, each player has 6 minutes on his clock).

I have not seen this, but will scour Youtube to see if I can find an example.

Heaven help us if Klitchko (sp?) is good at chess!

It would probably have, overall, the nerdiest audience in sports!

Here is an ESPN story about it. Lennox Lewis loves boxing and is an avid chessplayer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeOMLxYbpPE&feature=related
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Magnus, I weigh in at about 190. Would we be in approximately the same weight class? Smile

Tell you what, if Vandy will pay all expenses and puts us up at the Monte Carlo, I'll meet you in Las Vegas, and we'll GET READY TO RUMBLE!!!!!!

The chess might be interesting. I think we both might resemble something more akin to kittens in the ring, however!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Quote:
On 2009-02-11 20:51, Magnus Eisengrim wrote:
Let's say, I'd pick Vladimir Klitschko over Gary Kasparov. Anyone for bets?

John

As long as Klitschko can hold out through the first round of chess, he'll win for sure!
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Quote:
On 2009-02-12 00:25, Chessmann wrote:
Tell you what, if Vandy will pay all expenses and puts us up at the Monte Carlo, I'll meet you in Las Vegas, and we'll GET READY TO RUMBLE!!!!!!

Ha! No can do. But you guys are welcome to duke it out/play chess in the alley behind my office. I will film it and put it on Youtube.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Alley, my foot! Surely you can at least book us into the local elementary school playground!

How about the playing area in your local chess club - now THERE'S an idea!
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
I don't know if we have a chess club, we must huh? But you are always welcome to come to my gym. We have all the gear you would need.

I'm trying to get a Pankration/Checkers or a Muay Thai/Marbles competition going over there.
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4247 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
Magnus and I can each secretly slip lead queens in our boxing gloves for extra weight.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Whatever it takes!

When one guy knocks the other one out they can stand over their fallen opponent and yell "Checkmate Mother *$#^@*!!"
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
LOL I'm 215, but old and slow Smile

And I'd have a better chance at chess wrestling than chess boxing.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1196 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
I know some skilled martial artists who are expert or master strength chess players, and one who is a senior master.
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
If John could drop 15 lbs you would both be Cruiserweights per the WBA/WBC/IBF system.

If you want to go MMA, John would have to drop 5 lbs and you could go as Light Heavies per the UFC system.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » One of your more bizzare sports (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL