The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Butterfly history (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magus
View Profile
Special user
Huntington Beach, Ca
669 Posts

Profile of magus
I remember seeing several articles and reviews about the paper to butterfly trick long before Andrew Goldenhirsch but can't seem to find them now.
Does anyone have some history on this?
Martin Lweis, Vaudville, I know I've seen this on stage and TV. But who and when?
crappy deium-

what a lousy day to be seized

thaumometer-

a device for measuring a magical field
Levent
View Profile
Special user
USA
801 Posts

Profile of Levent
I really don't know Andrew Goldenhirsch is and you haven't quite described the effect.

But if you are talking about a trick where a magician takes a small piece of cigarette paper and transforms it into a live moth. I believe that is a Nate Leipzig effect called "Creation of Life".

Unfortunately, I am about a 1000 miles away from home so I don't have access to any of my books. But if my memory serves me correctly, I think Leipzig might have gotten this effect from an amateur magician who was a pharmacist in Glendale, California.

That is all I can say. Perhaps somebody out there has more solid info.

Levent
JimMaloney
View Profile
Inner circle
1184 Posts

Profile of JimMaloney
The Leipzig trick Levent referred to was created by Fred Roberts, of California. Leipzig thought it was one of the best effects he had ever seen, and told Roberts so. Roberts then taught him the workings and gave him permission to use it. Leipzig kept it in reserve for special occasions when he wanted to make a really good impression -- it's certainly not the type of trick that he would have kept in regular rotation, due to the preparation involved.

Fred Roberts allowed the trick to be published in "Chap's Scrapbook" in the September 1939 issue.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 17th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)
magus
View Profile
Special user
Huntington Beach, Ca
669 Posts

Profile of magus
Thank you Mr Maloney, there's some history I've never heard...
crappy deium-

what a lousy day to be seized

thaumometer-

a device for measuring a magical field
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Butterfly history (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL