The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A question about sign language (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I've a question. I watched the Amazing Race and one fellow is deaf and doesn't read lips, he only does sign language (and writting of course). I know that there is something called American Sign Language and that there is an alphabet and folks can spell out words. I also believe that there are signs that represent words and maybe phrases (I don't know about that). Here is the question. While spelling a word in English would not be understood by someone who was deaf and knew Spanish but not English I am wondering if the signs for, say, " I love you " or " Good morning" are understood regardless of first language? I hope that makes sense. Basically if this kid on Amazing Race runs into someone in, say, China, who does sign language can they communicate as long as spelling isn't involved?
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
From http://www.signwriting.org/about/questions/quest0001.html

Is Sign Language International?

No. It is not. There is a different signed language in every country. In fact, some countries have several signed languages. Some signed languages have several "dialects". Why? The best answer to that question, is with another question. "Why isn't there an international spoken language?"

People did try to invent an international spoken language, called Esperanto. But few speak Esperanto. The naturally evolved spoken languages are used, but not the invented ones. Signed languages are no different. People tried to invent an international signed language, called Gestuno. But even though the attempt was admirable, no one really signs Gestuno. The naturally evolved signed languages "won".

American Sign Language (ASL) is used in the USA and in English-speaking Canada. There are many dialects of ASL. Because of Gallaudet University in Washington D.C, and other fine schools for the Deaf, most ASL dialects are understood by Deaf people all over the country. ASL is remarkably standardized, considering the size of the USA and Canada, and considering that up until now, there was no written form for the language. It is possible that SignWriting will help to preserve ASL, and will contribute to its standardization.
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Thank you. It should be standardized, a non verbal form of communication not using spelling would cross borders in a way writting and normal speech can't. I appreciate the answer.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
It even differs from state to state. A sign used in Ca might not be realized in NY.

odd, and ASL is used in canada and mexico
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Isn't it about time the deaf community get it together and standardize? No offense to the deaf but come on, it differs from state to state? All they are doing is hurting themselves. That is like having each state have a differnt braille alphabet.
kcg5
View Profile
Inner circle
who wants four fried chickens and a coke
1868 Posts

Profile of kcg5
It would be interesting to get Kyles thoughts on this.
Nobody expects the spanish inquisition!!!!!

"History will be kind to me, as I intend to write it"- Sir Winston Churchill
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » A question about sign language (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL