The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » 'breach' or 'brief'? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
In other magic forum, someone used 'breach' and other used 'brief' as a technical term for Second Deal.

I would like to know which is correct. I consulted dictionary, and I think 'breach' has more appropriate meaning.

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Hideo Kato
Alel
View Profile
Special user
Bay Area
668 Posts

Profile of Alel
Im not sure what 'breach' means in the magical context, but I know that a brief denotes the displacement of a card/s in relation to the deck or from another card/s...

Ex. The protrusion of a jog, The telescoped nature of the cards during a ***h-*****h Shuffle, The displacement of the top card during a second deal, etc.

Hope this helped.
Chris SD
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Chris SD
At least in Texas, I would say that 'brief' is much more common. I very rarely hear someone refer to it as a 'breach'.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
Brief is commonly used.
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Thank you for replies.

I consulted my dictionary and found 'breach' has same meaning as 'crevice' which seems a good expression for the shape made by Push Off. But I could not find any meaning with 'brief' for that shape or movement.

What does 'brief' mean English in case of Second Deal? (I know it is used to mean gap when top card is pushed off). But I want to know the meaning of the word itself. (In Japan, brief is men's underware).

Or, 'brief' is commonly used by mistake?

Thanks.

Hideo Kato
jcards01
View Profile
Inner circle
Waterloo, IL
1438 Posts

Profile of jcards01
Hideo,

brief   Pronunciation [breef]
adjective, -er, -est, noun, verb
–adjective 1. lasting or taking a short time; of short duration: a brief walk; a brief stay in the country.
2. using few words; concise; succinct: a brief report on weather conditions.
3. abrupt or curt.
4. scanty: a brief bathing suit.

Good Luck.....
–noun 5. a short and concise statement or written item.
6. an outline, the form of which is determined by set rules, of all the possible arguments and information on one side of a controversy: a debater's brief.
7. Law. a. a writ summoning one to answer to any action.
b. a memorandum of points of fact or of law for use in conducting a case.
c. a written argument submitted to a court.
d. (in England) the material relevant to a case, delivered by a solicitor to the barrister who tries the case.

8. an outline, summary, or synopsis, as of a book.
9. briefs, (used with a plural verb) close-fitting, legless underpants with an elastic waistband.
10. briefing.
11. Roman Catholic Church. a papal letter less formal than a bull, sealed with the pope's signet ring or stamped with the device borne on this ring.
12. British Theater. a free ticket; pass.
13. Obsolete. a letter.
–verb (used with object) 14. to make an abstract or summary of.
15. to instruct by a brief or briefing: They brief all the agents before assigning them.
16. Law. to retain as advocate in a suit.
—Idioms17. hold a brief for, to support or defend by argument; endorse.
18. in brief, in a few words; in short: The supervisor outlined in brief the duties of the new assistant
Jimmy 'Cards' Molinari
www.jimmycards.com
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Thank you Molinari-san for the detailed information.

As 'brief' has similar meaning as 'abrupt', I understand what it means in Second Deal. It sounds similar as 'breach'.

One more question about a term in Second Deal.

What is 'sailing'. Is it a movement after taking the second card til placing it on the table? I beleibe so, but would like confirmation.

Thanks again.

Hideo Kato
Chris SD
View Profile
Special user
737 Posts

Profile of Chris SD
Quote:
On 2009-02-23 19:10, Hideo Kato wrote:
Thank you Molinari-san for the detailed information.

As 'brief' has similar meaning as 'abrupt', I understand what it means in Second Deal. It sounds similar as 'breach'.

One more question about a term in Second Deal.

What is 'sailing'. Is it a movement after taking the second card til placing it on the table? I beleibe so, but would like confirmation.

Thanks again.

Hideo Kato

Sailing is when a dealer tosses or flicks the card across the table toward a player, as opposed to just dealing the card straight to the table.
The Mysterious Kid
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of The Mysterious Kid
In the context of Second Dealing the brief refers to the width you pull back the top card. Sailing means sailing or tossing the cards to the according player.
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Thank you Chris-san and Mysterious Kid-san,

It is intersting to know the correct meaning of 'sailing' as it is a natural movement in distributing cards to palyers in Gambling.

This understanding leads me to "It is desirable to avoid sailing in pure magic (not gambling demo)". If I deal with sailing, my left hand need to be more motionless than 'straight to table dealing'. If I deal cards to right of the deck, it seems natural to use swing and bevel of the deck (which covers the false take).

Thank you very much.

Hideo Kato
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
Quote:
On 2009-02-23 06:49, Hideo Kato wrote:
In other magic forum, someone used 'breach' and other used 'brief' as a technical term for Second Deal.

Good question. I nearly asked it myself a week ago. I too have heard both terms used, but since I started wondering about it, I think that I have heard only "brief" used.

Even with explanations, I still don't understand English well enough to fully comprehend the proper meaning of many of these magic terms. I learn them and understand what they refer to, but not really why. "Blind" used for a false shuffle, for instance. Or "sharp" used to describe a person.

Just old terms from a time where they used different slang than in '80s Norwegian schoolbooks, I suppose. It is very interesting to still be able to learn so many new words all the time after so many years.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
The Amazing Noobini-san spoke for me. I did know what 'brief' meant in Second Deal before I started this thread, but I wanted to know why it is called so.

'breach' still fits more snugly to me logically.

Hideo Kato
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
IMO a Breach would be more like a break or separation.
A Brief is something small, short, etc.
splice
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1246 Posts

Profile of splice
Kato-san does bring up an interesting subject. Who was the first to use "brief" to denote the exposed part of the second card during a second deal? That would be an interesting research project.

Erdnase uses "briefs" to denote the key cards in a stripper deck. He does not use it for the second deal but then again does not explain a strike.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workers » » 'breach' or 'brief'? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL