The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Subliminal Squares-Dr. Bill's newest! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Waters
...I have a strange need for some Coke and Popcorn right now.

Seriously, the entire idea of being influenced by methods unknown is an intriguing and frightening notion. I think all audiences are both enthralled and entranced to see demonstrations of this apparent ability. This is why psychological forces and other related materials are so strong. People are amazed by someone who can influence them, with methods they do not understand (or at least do not fully understand). The mind is deep water.

What's my point? In my opinion this is an extremely interesting theme to use as a presentational position. Dr. Bill and his friends, do it wonderfully in Dr. Bill's latest work, "Subliminal Squares".

Here are some details;

Subliminal Square- The original and possibly still my favorite. You show the completed square and then prove they were influenced by what they saw. I am sure this get's some serious "aaawwwwwwsss". Wonderful.

Sublime Subliminal Square- This is a streamlined version that uses some methods commonly known the the mentalist, which keeps you from having to "fill in". The was inspired by Julian "Bev" Moore

Subliminally Squared-is basically an amalgam of the others, which balance freedom and efficacy.

Envy-lope- is a wonderful tool/device which helps your wallet from being squared. It was created and included by Rich Hennessey and is an effective partner to the routines in question.

Drive-In Movie- Okay... this one is really sneaky and truly maximized the theme. I smiled when I read it. I loved this and I am sure your audiences will too. It's basically a great combination of a standard method, combined with the wodnerful theme of subliminal advertising. Perfect.

Square Peg- "Shades of Annemann" (I think that's where I first read an idea similar). Again, this is a fantastic way to do the square. This idea by Greg Arce is a winner (big surprise) that leaves them with a wonderfully visual revelation at the denouement.

Apophenial Square- YYEEESSSSS! This version is from my good friend Mike Ince. This presentation is a wonderful routine, best used in formal events and has a great presentational theme. Mike's presentation allows for a great "stage picture" (read: frame) of the events. It's a great routine which loosely incorporates themes and ideas from Dr. Bill, Cassidy, Jermay and Derren. I love it (and yes I am biased), but that doesn't mean it is not great.

Subliminal Square Pad- This is a great utilitarian idea that really allow the best of all worlds. It incoporates the psychological methods and the "any number" methods. I like that this will allow one to maximize the optimum potential, but never leaves everything to chance. This is a useful idea by Steve Pellegrino

Metaphysical Magic Square- You know that Dr. Todd Landman would have a great submission. His wonderul theme has shades of Jung and incorporates his presentation with related ideas that all work together for "synergy". He also offers some wonderful ways to move this from a "numbers" routine, to something a little darker. I don't want to give to much more away, but Dr. Todd has certainly built a full production from these ideas. Fantastic.

Subliminal Square 544.4- I don't want to tell people exactly what this is, but suffice it to say that it involves a "rain man" like ability, in which the participant is able to "crunch the numbers" as Joshua says. This uses a different idea than most and I am confident this would have an astounding effect. Not surprising coming from Joshua Quinn.

Rick Tac Toe- A mystery for you to discover.

Finally...

Cross-eyed- which is not really a square, but a great to create a similar feeling effect with very little real calculation. This is one of those great "tool belt" ideas that you will be aware of for the right moments. It won't stop the earth from turning, but a fun impromptu method.

It should be obvious that this work includes a host of possible presentational and methodological ideas. If should also be apparent that if someone has the slightest interest in the "Square", this is a no-brainer.

Sean
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Sean, my good man, thank you, thank you and thank you again. And in case I wasn't clear, thank you.

The original Subliminal Square as published in Banachek's "Psychological Subtleties 2" has been bouncing around in that essential form for 8 years. I strongly expect that it is the most performed of all my inventions.

So book sales of "Subliminal Squares" have been strong mostly via word of mouth OFFLINE as well as reputation. Leaving a gaping hole where the whole of the work, meaning that provided by the contributors, has been conspicuously absent. This has dismayed me and you have taken a huge step toward rectifying the matter.

Now I am free to comment on your comments. If I wasn’t clear above, thank you.

The original Subliminal Square: Certainly "aaawwws" above applause captures the typical response. Sometime considered too real for its own good.

Sublime Subliminal Square: Just to add a bit more, the perfect 100% hands off solution when performing for large audiences. A "major effect" as per Cassidy and a "VDM" as per Rick Maue. If you don't know the references, look them up or search them out. You will learn far more than my simply telling you.

Subliminally Squared: You pretty much say it all so I'll only add that this is the version I always have on me so that I'm not carrying any extra props. Proof that necessity is the mother of invention and wallet space the father.

Envy-Lope by Rich Hennessey: I've learned to pay close attention to anything Rich does. And Envy-Lope is no exception. Simple, well taught with photos and examples, Rich provides an alternative to using your wallet as well as a great justification for isolating the square. As Sean already points out, a utility prop ripe with possibilities.

Drive-In Movie: One of those possibilities from Rich. Not a magic square so what is it doing in a book devoted to magic squares? Glad you asked.

Drive-In Movie is devoted to the theme I've utilized since day one for SS regarding movie theaters splicing in too-short-for-conscious-awareness promos for concession stand products. He proves this to be an all too effective means of advertising in a delightful and charming way.

And by the way, Rich is willing to provide all the props both for Envy-Lope and Drive-In Movie at very reasonable prices to purchasers of "Subliminal Squares." His Envy-Lope magic square (though he may cyber-slap me for using the term), on parchment paper, is a must see. And, "oy, such a deal!"

Square Peg by: Greg Arce: I almost said, "nuff said," but that wouldn't be fair. Greg originally created this for Shoot Ogawa but it didn't suit his needs at the time so lay dusty on a back shelf. Greg brought it out briefly as a bonus with his ebook "Cash Out," and when I asked his feedback on this project, realized it was but a short leap between his presentation and one fitting for a book on subliminal magic squares. Greg brainstorms and we all benefit. But isn't that always the case with Greg? Nuff said. There, I said it.

Apophenial Square by Mike Ince: As Sean said, best for those formal occasions and plays well with large crowds. I have lately been intrigued with simple yet powerful staging and this fits the bill (sorry). Apparently disparate pieces come together in a way that is logical and breathtaking. The subliminal premise is raised at least two levels, allowing for climax after climax. Your audiences will be left breathless and wondering just what happened to them.

Subliminal Square Pad by Steve Pellegrino: Without a doubt the worst title of the bunch and I take full responsibility for that fact. Yes, we do have a utility prop using an artist's pad but that is like saying of Yosemite Park, "yes we do have a lot of trees." The name just does not do what Steve accomplished justice.

His routine is first of all a lesson in routining. Steve takes SS to a place where jazz is in the air. Every aspect of this obviously oft used professional presentation is placed before you in exquisite and easy to follow detail.

Steve goes the extra miles, providing not only photos but also ideas, and then ideas about those ideas, to keep you going when on the go. His experience in the bumps you can encounter and all of what he has done to smooth them out is placed in your hands. This is a true worker, obviously a love of Steve’s and you can tell, if he was going to share it, he was going to make sure performers got it right.

Metaphysical Magic Squares by Dr.Todd Landman: For me, this is an introduction into a whole other realm of professional work. I am not experienced with PowerPoint, and while the routine can be done without it (Dr provides a very good useful alternative in terms of getting out the needed info whether about yourself or those you are working for) the PowerPoint presentation was a highlight for me,

And to mix technology with ancient conceptions provides quite a memorable counterpoint. Audiences will long remember this routine. Again, it is well thought out and Todd put in considerable time and effort providing a great deal of the work so anyone wanting to put it Metaphysical Magic Squares to use can get right to it. I learned a lot from learning this routine and on many levels, both modern and ancient.

Subliminal Square 544.4 by Joshua Quinn: As Sean wrote, it is not surprising such an astounding routine came from Mr. Quinn. Joshua’s way of thinking does not begin or end in quite the same place as the rest of us. And that is meant as a compliment.

The subliminal/savant theme is retained but accessed in an entirely different way, suggesting that the roads to this endpoint may be unlimited, restricted only by the self-imposed constraint of an individual performer. . Not only do you reach the same conclusion about subliminal influence but also Joshua takes it a step further, demonstrating that the influence began long before first realized. Elegant in conception and execution.

Rick Tac Toe by Rick Roth: This may ultimately say more about Rick than it does about any particular effect. And Rick will tell you it probably says more about me than it does anything else! We’ll debate that at another time but for now, just consider it a little bonus humor about a secret wish of everyone’s favorite Outlaw.

Crosseyed! by me: No square but a similar impact on a smaller scale. It is presented as the way by which I get those subliminal muscles stretching for the heavy weights. But don’t underestimate this one. Out of sheer curiosity I’ve resurrected Crosseyed! from another time and place (and title) and while Sean is right about it not stopping the Earth from turning, it has of late caused more than a few hearts to miss a beat. And it is easy to remember and perform, leaving you to put your energy into presentation.

Sean, if I didn’t make it clear, thank you J! I want the contributors to get every bit of recognition deserved. Not only were they generous but they also worked long and hard to get their individual works publication ready.

“Subliminal Squares” was going to be rather short ebook simply sharing the two evolutions of my original idea but everyone’s interest and interesting approaches raised the bar for me. If I was going to do it, I now had to do it right to live up the standards set by the contributors. And these were worthy standards indeed that I’m grateful to have played a role in bringing together into a single work.

So once again let me take a moment to thank everyone involved. You gentlemen all have provided and continue to provide a constant source of support and inspiration.

Those of you who have already purchased and read “Subliminal Squares” know why it was so important for me to provide proper recognition to those who by hook or by crook became involved. Hopefully after reading what Sean wrote and my own responses, those who haven’t yet purchased “Subliminal Squares.” now have a better idea of what makes it an important contribution to the art of mentalism.
Lbuford
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, CA
157 Posts

Profile of Lbuford
Hi everyone, I still kinda new and I'm in the process of reading everything there is. I just came across this subject. I have used the 'regular' magic square but SS in much more intriguing, no contest. So I'm going to take the plunge and buy it today. To bad for me I didn't find it sooner so I could have gotten in on the discount.
Loreen

"Hindsight corrects the mistakes that foresight could have prevented"
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
But I am amenable to package deals so was able to work something out with Loreen. At least I hope she feels she made out well!

Always feel free to PM or email me if you are interested in buying more than one product at a time and I'll see what I can do. And if you recently purchased something and are sitting there thinking, "I wish he would have told me that X days ago" give me a holler.
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Waters
A related note: One could find some interesting information on the effectiveness of subliminal advertising. Dr. Hogan will only keep this article up for a short while. Some of the information may surprise you.

http://www.kevinhogan.com/understand-sub......ence.htm

...plausible stuff.

Sean
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Sean:Thank-you for that link.The information Dr. Hogan covers is 'surprising'.However,it is enlightening as well.
I personally believe that the scientific community is still in the infancy stage...as to how the human brain reacts to subliminal stimulation[as well as how the brain operates 'generally'].Dr. Hogan certainly has for me,stoked the fires of interest,and anticipation.

Also Sean,thank-you for your generous and nice comments re:my modest contributions to Dr.Bill's fine ebook,Subliminal Squares.

My Best.
Rich
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
I'd love to know the truth behind the story I tell in my presentation that is true in as far as what I was told! My acquaintance didn't have any reason to make up the fact that his father told him he was a projectionist when and where the process was used and banned.

Of course, sometimes dads like to impress their tykes with the occasional fabrication. My own father never fought a duel, as I believed for years when I was young. But he did have his appendix removed!

Dad was kind enough to set the record straight when I had to have mine removed at nine years old. Putting my mind at ease was far more important than maintaining family “legend!”

Sean, thanks for the link. It was very interesting. Someone with a scientific background had just told me that subliminal advertising had been disproved. My response was wait a few months and another study proving it works will come out if it already hasn't.

This has been my constant experience in the realm of psychology and psychiatry. Think of how many genes for “this and that” have been found and then somehow lost!

When they are found they are front-page news. Yet when the study doesn't hold up, it is lucky if the story makes page 30.

When I was working as the lead psychologist at a prison, I had to grit my teeth as the chief psychiatrist lectured the staff and interns on the proof for the existence of the gene for schizophrenia having been isolated. He cited a study from over a year prior so I knew it was safe to assume it had already been discredited. J

And of course it had. The psychiatrist was a nice man and otherwise competent and ethical in a place where ethics could cost you your job so I didn't call him out in public. But about ten minutes on a computer and I had several subsequent citations about how the study hadn't held up which I discreetly distributed to my staff.

My point no so much being that the gentleman had been wrong. Far more so that one bad bit of research can lead to decades of misinformation if we are not careful.

Back to whether subliminal adverstising works. I don’t think we know one way or another and may never settle the issue. But I can’t help recalling that line in the story by Baudelaire: "the devil's best trick is to persuade you that he doesn't exist!" Fans of The Usual Suspects will surely recall the slight misquote and the application to the field of advertising is certainly apropos!
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Waters
According to study of brain function and areas of the brain being stimulated during exposure to "subtle messages", it would seem subliminal advertising is certainly alive and well. I would recommend people checking out "Buyology". This book presents a strong argument that this is true.

Though not as subtle as "invisible" film frames, Pepsi and Snickers billboards no longer use their own (company) name, instead they are invoking images and logos that are familiar. It has been suggested (no pun intended) that these "name-free" advertising campaigns are more effective than those overtly asking for our business.

Just like the "Skull and bones" symbol on the cigarette warning labels have been shown by fMRI to elicit a strong desire for "a smoke", while they are supposed to be frightening people away from the habit. That's about a billion or so (of our tax dollars thrown away).

The subliminal square is more apropos than ever...

Sean
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Who wrote somewhere about shape of window on pasta box? When corners rounded, sales increased?

Have to be careful not to make post hoc, ergo prompter hoc error: After this, therefore becuase of this.

Not the new teaching plan that raised the grades, more motivated teachers, more meetings, etc.

Still, I did try rounding my business card corners for a while!
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Waters
You are right about assuming connections; this leads to folly (and some weird actions). What is interesting about this study is the way these results were found... through measuring brain activity with fMRI. This is precisely what lead to the "surprising" answers to some questions. These were not people who were asked about preferences, their minds spoke for them (figuratively, of course). Whether it is true or not really doesn't matter to me... it is timely and useful for our purposes.

It's great to be able to mention these ongoing studies and the fact that many companies are making these (obvious) changes, due to a desire to illicit a response, rather than ask for one.

Sean
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
It is a good thing I don't lean toward the Freudian perspective, Sean, or I might have to comment on your use of "illicit" a response! Smile

And, yet, it is somehow fitting when we consider the supposed aims of the experiments I cite in SS!
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5090 Posts

Profile of Roth
Quote:
On 2009-05-01 17:56, Waters wrote:
A related note: One could find some interesting information on the effectiveness of subliminal advertising. Dr. Hogan will only keep this article up for a short while. Some of the information may surprise you.

http://www.kevinhogan.com/understand-sub......ence.htm

...plausible stuff.

Sean

Very plausible
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
Waters
View Profile
Inner circle
2508 Posts

Profile of Waters
Quote:
On 2009-05-04 14:27, Bill Cushman wrote:
It is a good thing I don't lean toward the Freudian perspective, Sean, or I might have to comment on your use of "illicit" a response! Smile

...yeah. I noticed that (and hoped no one else had). It's a sordid affair. Smile

Sean
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12968 Posts

Profile of John C
I just got this and ***n* ***** ****** ***s**** * *** *f **** ******u*. Great, great premise! Carry it anywhere the law allows.

J
Caleb Wiles
View Profile
Inner circle
Indianapolis, IN
1132 Posts

Profile of Caleb Wiles
I really enjoyed this eBook. For the price, I wouldn't recommend it for the simply curious, but if you're looking for unique presentations for the magic square for your act, I think you'll enjoy what's offered here. I posted my full review on my blog: http://www.calebwilesmagic.com/?p=1602

Caleb
Check out my Main Event project (DVD or Download).

"Magicians, stop what you're doing right now and pick this up!" - John Guastaferro

"Caleb Wiles is the real deal!" - David Williamson

"...my very highest recommendation." - John Carey
deiricm
View Profile
New user
62 Posts

Profile of deiricm
Boy -old topic, but I'm assuming someone still looks in form time to time. Had to comment: I bought Dr. Bill's Subliminal Squares in the summer and, as expected, first class. But I got a bonus - a clever little ditty called 'Cross Eyed' that has worked its ass off for me. Really nice one Doc! Great little opener for a magic square session (nice pub piece too!)
Bill Cushman
View Profile
Inner circle
Florida
2876 Posts

Profile of Bill Cushman
Sorry so late but I haven't checked this forum for awhile and someone just told me about this thread. Thanks deiricm, I'm glad you like SS and Crosseyed in particular. The SS theme has always been one of my favorites and I love where folks have taken it. I've been sent videos of performances from all over the world, including close-up to large stages using projectors and everything in between.

Crosseyed is one of my favorite ways to open a close-up performance (if I'm not doing SS so it can be a difficult trade off), using the theme of "warming up my subconcious." It's fast, surprising and sets the right tone for me.

FYI, SS and all of my ebooks are half off, my biggest Holiday Sale ever. You can contact me directly at wcushman@bellsouth.net or check out the ebook section of the Arsenal at Outlaw where the prices on my stuff has been reduced.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Subliminal Squares-Dr. Bill's newest! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.1 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL