The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Are Injuries Normal? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
Well, maybe injury was a bit strong of a word, but do you guys ever have any strain in your fingers or wrists after intense practicing? I am relatively new to flourishes and I was finally getting the one-handed shuffle down pretty well, so I did it for a few hours while watching a movie recently. The next day, my middle and ring finger were sore because of how much they extend to make the initial cut. Is this normal? Does anyone else have any card flourish injuries?
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
Houdinez
View Profile
New user
21 Posts

Profile of Houdinez
Yea I think it is normal especially when you get used to a sybil cut routine. Like my middle finger is always strained when I reach a packet here and derre... and I feel like just dropping all the cards on the floor because my fingers hurt. But once you stretch and refresh your fingers, it's alright. Smile
~Houdinez~
(who-dee-nez)
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1276 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
I think so! Just think of it as training just like any other sport, once your fingers get used to the workouts you'll be fine!
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
Jem
View Profile
Veteran user
Singapore
342 Posts

Profile of Jem
Pangea, I once kinda hurt my fingers while practicing the one-handed shuffle too (only a minor injury though). Yeah, I think that injuries are quite likely when practicing too much of certain demanding flourishes.

I think it's important to let your fingers take a rest every now and then. Resist the urge to practice non-stop (something I find quite hard to do at times). Smile
MagicSponge
View Profile
Regular user
141 Posts

Profile of MagicSponge
Why don't you guys ask De'vo???
lol.

Doug.
Danny Diamond
View Profile
Inner circle
Connecticut
1400 Posts

Profile of Danny Diamond
It really is like working out. I work out with weights regularly, and you can't work the same muscle group for 2 days in a row, the muscles need time to heal and grow. So, while my fingers were strained from my practice session on Saturday, I used Sunday to practice less straining card feats, like boomerang throws, palming, and simpler cuts.

The one-handed shuffle was hard to stop practicing though, once I realized I was making progress, I just couldn't stop trying it!! It felt so cool to get it right!
You don't drown by falling in the water;

you drown by staying there.

- Edwin Louis Cole
kid iowa
View Profile
Loyal user
Oklahoma
300 Posts

Profile of kid iowa
Since the muscles in your hand are pretty small, it's easy to strain them without seeming to do hardly anything. Just like working out, your hands will be sore after their little "workout", but just keep going and your stamina will increase. There are exercises that work your hands specifically: gripping tennis balls, crumpling paper, twisting rope/towels etc. Just work through the burn!
Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile...can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy." J.F.K.
RiffClown
View Profile
Inner circle
Yorktown, Virginia (Previously Germany)
1579 Posts

Profile of RiffClown
Your hands are the only ones you have. Yes, you get hand strain from flourishes, muscle-passes and even tying balloons. RSI's (repetitive stress injuries) are painful and mostly permanent. You should take a break every half hour or so and do something different with your hands, i.e... work a different muscle group or rest. You will work up your stamina but not at the expense of mobility, flexibility and dexterity.

Go for it, but go for it wisely.
Rob "Riff, the Magical Clown" Eubank aka RiffClown
<BR>http://www.riffclown.com
<BR>Magic is not the method, but the presentation.
Lonnie Dilan
View Profile
Special user
Canyon Country, California
823 Posts

Profile of Lonnie Dilan
Guys,

Just make sure you are keeping your wrists straight. Keep those carpel tunnels open and let the blood circulate. Once you twist your wrist in a funky angle you are restricting blood flow.

But you are more likely to hurt your hands typing before you do something with the cards.

I work my hands out a lot because I'm a massage therapist. Before I started doing massage I thought my hands were strong, but I was dead wrong. Now I'm doing push ups on my finger tips... some crazy kung fu stuff... lol.

You can do a lot to condition your hands. Just don't work them too hard too fast. Once the damage is done it's really done.
ebyrne
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of ebyrne
I'm gonna have to second the take it slow note. While it takes a lot to damage your hands, it doesn't if you're doing the wrong things. If your wrists, in particular, are getting sore, stretch them out or take a break. I know a guy who used to juggle constantly. It was a large part of his life until he got tendonitis and had to give it up. It's a shame to see something like that happen. Take care of yourself. Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Pasteboard Frolics » » Are Injuries Normal? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL