The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Just got 3 week old weaned parakeet, help! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
So I just got him (or could be her, no way of knowing for quite some time), and he is biting me every time I take him out to attempt to hand feed him. He won't eat the formula, despite having added a little fresh fruit juice. To be honest with you, I am kind of scared of him cuz I don't want to stress him out too much.

Should I just leave him alone to get used to his new home for a day or two? Just letting him eat the seed, crumbles, and water?

How long does it take them to "bond" to you?

Any help and guidance would be appreciated. I have the Womach DVDs, but they aren't much help this early on.
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
MikeHMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1007 Posts

Profile of MikeHMagic
Are you sure you are hand feeding properly? Be careful because, if done wrong, it can go in the lungs. Consult a vet to be sure, but if it's weaned and eating seed on it's own, it may not want to be fed and eat on its own. I would hold the bird gently several times a day to get it used to me. Also, if you can hold it or learn to hold the head immobile so it can't bite and gently stroke it to get used to being handled.
Hope this helps,
Gus
Mike "Gus" Harvatt
"Bullwinkle that trick never works."
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Using a syringe style feeder. You are just putting it up to its mouth pretty much if that makes sense...
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
jasanchez
View Profile
Regular user
153 Posts

Profile of jasanchez
Get Dave Womach's DVD on parakeets. It teaches you how to feed a baby parakeet.

Jose
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Quote:
On 2009-03-14 15:49, jasanchez wrote:
Get Dave Womach's DVD on parakeets. It teaches you how to feed a baby parakeet.

Jose

Like I said above, I have the Womach DVDs. Which one are you speaking of? I have two of them...

BTW, he is eating seed now. He just couldn't figure out how to get it out of the feeder, so I put it in a little flat tray and stuck it on the bottom of the cage. He was hungry! lol

So I guess if he is eating seed, then don't worry about the formula????
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
If he can eat seed, you should just let him eat seed - hand feeding a baby bird can be dangerous, and you shouldn't attempt it unless you know EXACTLY what you are doing. My personal feeling is you shouldn't do it even if you do know what you are doing; that job is best left to mommy birds.

A good thing to do at this point would be hold a container with seeds in it and let him eat from it ... that will help him get used to your hand. Your goal should be to have him perch on your finger to eat.

-JoeJoe

Quote:
On 2009-03-14 22:28, JoeJoe wrote:
Also ... try letting him eat some scrambled eggs. Birds love eggs. It is baby bird food and contains everything they need.

-JoeJoe
Amazing JoeJoe on YouTube[url=https://www.youtube.com/user/AmazingJoeJoe]
chrisweeks
View Profile
New user
Toronto, Canada
80 Posts

Profile of chrisweeks
Let him eat the seed on his own... My bird likes banana, and every morning I put a bit of banana in a bowl and add half a teaspoon of water and mix it all up until it looks like some sort of science project... My bird loves it, and he eats his seed with the banana... If he bites you, makes sure you do not poke him or flick him as some people recommend... Simply say, "NO BITE," in a loud, firm voice and put him back in his cage, and he will eventually learn... But remember he is a baby, and just like humans, they are going to teethe.

Chris
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
I slammed my head against
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
Chris, from what I've learnt, if we're to place him back into the cage when he bites, he'll learn that biting will give him the privacy he wants and, eventually, he'll bite when he wants to be left alone.

Anyways, he sounds like he's just adjusting to your home. And he's stressed about it, which could explain the biting. Continue to handle him and feed him once a day (seeds) after you've handled him. Some birds just don't like to be touched much, just like humans, and if he's just biting when you hand-feed him, he does not want to be hand-fed. Better still, give him the seeds in your hands. This will get him to see you as friendly company and, soon, you'll bond with him. Good luck!
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Hey, thanks for all the great suggestions, guys! If you think of anything else, please feel free to share!
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
I know Dave Womach says that when you get a baby that was just weaned it is a lot easier to begin taming and training. That being said, he doesn't say a certain age to begin. Does anyone know when you should start a training schedule?

BTW, he has been perching on my finger and eating out of my other hand. The last two times I have taken him out, he wiggles at first but does not bite and calms down almost immediately to where I don't have to hold him and he just sits there on my finger...
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On 2009-03-16 15:14, Hart Keene wrote:
I know Dave Womach says that when you get a baby that was just weaned it is a lot easier to begin taming and training. That being said, he doesn't say a certain age to begin. Does anyone know when you should start a training schedule?

You can get a parakeet to do Dave's entire routine without ever hand-feeding him. You can easily do this in two weeks time. So, you will end up with the exact same results.

On the flip side ... there is always a risk of the bird's death if you do not hand feed properly. So not only do you risk your bird's life, you end up doing a lot of work around the clock keeping this bird fed ... Wouldn't it be "easier" to just let mommy bird do the feeding?

-JoeJoe
papillon
View Profile
Regular user
104 Posts

Profile of papillon
It is a normal reaction of the parakeet to bite you. He just came into a completely different environment than what he was used to. You should give some time to it, and give yourself and the bird a chance, and evaluate your training again after 2 months. Give the bird a week or two to get to know his place, talk to her every day, and give small bits of food so you can repeat this more times a day. She will get used to you. First she has to accept you being around, then after, she will accept you to come close to her.
If the bird is really that small that you have to hand-feed, put a towel around the bird so she cannot bite you, and you can hold her closely.
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Quote:
On 2009-03-16 16:48, JoeJoe wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-03-16 15:14, Hart Keene wrote:

You can get a parakeet to do Dave's entire routine without ever hand-feeding him. You can easily do this in two weeks time. So, you will end up with the exact same results.

On the flip side ... there is always a risk of the bird's death if you do not hand feed properly. So not only do you risk your bird's life, you end up doing a lot of work around the clock keeping this bird fed ... Wouldn't it be "easier" to just let mommy bird do the feeding?

-JoeJoe

Let me clarify...

We are now at the point where he eats his seed and crumbles in the cage but now associates me with food as well so I simply stick my finger in the cage, he hops on my finger and then I take a little seed into my other hand, hold it out flat and he eats seed while perched on my finger. So I am not "hand feeding" per se, just trying to bond and its working! I don't have to grab him anymore, he just hops on the finger!

But I am wondering if I should just keep doing that for a while before starting a training diet and routine?
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Yes, you should keep doing that. Starting as early as you are, you probably won't even need a "training diet".

My post was referring to hand feeding it formula, which is not "easy" by any means ... you have to keep feeding it every so many hours round the clock. I don't consider that "easier" ... and in the end, the bird does the same thing as a bird that you don't hand feed formula.

So you actually work harder to get the exact same results.

-JoeJoe
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Quote:
On 2009-03-17 16:02, JoeJoe wrote:
Yes, you should keep doing that. Starting as early as you are, you probably won't even need a "training diet".

My post was referring to hand feeding it formula, which is not "easy" by any means ... you have to keep feeding it every so many hours round the clock. I don't consider that "easier" ... and in the end, the bird does the same thing as a bird that you don't hand feed formula.

So you actually work harder to get the exact same results.

-JoeJoe

Good point. Plus he wouldnt even eat the formula! lol He only likes seeds, I have tried strawberries, bananas, a little orange. He just goes for the seeds! He doesn't even do the crumbles much.

So should I start doing the Womach stuff with the chopstick and clicker or let him be for a while and just get used to me? He is roughly 3.5 weeks old.

I have not tried the millet that Dave recommends, maybe he will like that???? Or I guess I could begin training with seeds and clicker?
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Quote:

So should I start doing the Womach stuff with the chopstick and clicker or let him be for a while and just get used to me? He is roughly 3.5 weeks old.

I have not tried the millet that Dave recommends, maybe he will like that???? Or I guess I could begin training with seeds and clicker?

I hate quoting myself but does anyone have an idea? Is there such a thing as being too young for the Womach training or does it just make it easier because of the age and no "bad habits"?
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On 2009-03-17 16:41, Hart Keene wrote:
Good point. Plus he wouldnt even eat the formula! lol He only likes seeds, I have tried strawberries, bananas, a little orange. He just goes for the seeds! He doesn't even do the crumbles much.

That's not that unusual ... the only thing besides seeds my parakeets eat is scrambled eggs - which is very good for them, it is basically baby bird food.

Quote:

By all means get started. I would see if he works for millet without putting him on pellets. And despite what the "experts" will say, an all pellet diet is NOT a healthy diet for birds - which means you should be hand feeding them seeds and not being lazy and making them eat nothing but pellets!

-JoeJoe
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Quote:
On 2009-03-19 22:22, JoeJoe wrote:
Quote:

That's not that unusual ... the only thing besides seeds my parakeets eat is scrambled eggs - which is very good for them, it is basically baby bird food.

Quote:

By all means get started. I would see if he works for millet without putting him on pellets. And despite what the "experts" will say, an all pellet diet is NOT a healthy diet for birds - which means you should be hand feeding them seeds and not being lazy and making them eat nothing but pellets!

-JoeJoe

Wait, I'm confused...what are pellets? Also, why would you just give them pellets? Cant they eat seed on their own(mine does)? I don't understand...

BTW, thank you for the tips Joejoe!!!! I know by watching your video in the other thread you know what you're talking about!
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1915 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Pellets are taking bird seed and grinding it down into a powder, then using some process to glue it all back together into little round (often colorful) "pellets". Some claim pellets are more nutritious.

The thing about pellets is they are an "unnatural" food for birds, and when a bird chews them, it creates a lot of dust that their bodies are not built for. This dust can cause breathing problems for them. A few pellets in their diet won't hurt them, but an all-pellet diet is best avoided. If you must give them an all-pellet diet, it is best to soak them in a little water to soften them and prevent dust.

An all-seed diet can also be bad, because most birds tend to eat only their favorite seed ... the nutritional information printed on the bag is based on all the seeds in the bag, not just their favorites. The trick is to give your birds just enough seed to last till the next feeding, forcing them to eat more of the seeds and not just their favorite.

I recommend a mixture of both seeds and pellets, supplemented with fresh fruits and veggies. And scrambled eggs - eggs are baby bird food, and it contains everything they need to be healthy. My birds get scrambled eggs nearly every morning; they are good for you, too.

-JoeJoe
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Thank you so much for all your help, JoeJoe. Smile

I like scrambled eggs, too! lol

BTW, what fruits and veggies have you had good luck with?
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Polly wants a cracker... » » Just got 3 week old weaned parakeet, help! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL