The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Reinventing Vent (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
TRUMPETMAN
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
705 Posts

Profile of TRUMPETMAN
Tom...that was too funny....

:)

Mark
Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
facebook.com/robbietheringmaster
TRUMPETMAN
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
705 Posts

Profile of TRUMPETMAN
Wanlu...I 'll bet e-llusionist would jump to market your DVD !

Ok, seriously now (I must stop laughing or my coffee will shoot out my nose...OUVCH !) I don't run into a lot of interest in what is being called street magic, since my audiences are very young, and can't stay up late enough to see Blaine or Angel on TV. However, everyone above the age of 8 knows who the street guys are from pop culture references in the news, etc. It is one of the new faces of magic, and carries as much credence with laypeople as Vegas style illusions and old clips of Houdini.

On that note, why wouldn't street vent be as much of a success as street magic ? After all, I have seen vents working in placs like Key West on the streets, and they always drew a crowd.

Good grief, Wanlu, you might actually be onto something here....

:)

Mark
Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
facebook.com/robbietheringmaster
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
I am actually working some (paid) street vent this summer in a resort town. I did some last summer at a festival and it is a tough environment to work. Won't be wearing leather goth and using expletives though!

There are a number of vents that do or did street - Otto coming to mind immediately. Paul Zerdin also has some clever Youtube clips about public vent with his Baby Cry and person in a mail box.

Good luck with the DVD Wanlu - can't wait to see it!
Tom
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
Paul Zerdin's was not street vent... it was some sort of a gag show Smile

Mine is street vent as in street ventriloquism with actual figures...plus I will have clippings from public transportaions...hospitals...bars...restaurants etc Smile I also managed to catch some footages on my Payes being interviewd by the backstage crew of a TV show. It's in tagalog but I will add subtitles. The crew asked some silly questions...like "where is the battery hidden?" Smile "When you bought him, did he know how to talk already?" One even saw me fixing the bodypack of my wireless mic, saw the batteries and told his fellow crew "I knew it, it is battery operated. I saw it!!!"

Hopefully I will have enough materials to make a DVD...

Wanlu
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
You are right Wanlu - Zerdin's was a show - not true street vent. Traditional street vent would be more along the busker style - setting up on the street, drawing a crowd and doing a show. Otto did that - it will be what I am doing this summer, and I'm sure there are plenty of others. (I believe Kenny Croes used to do street vent with Harry Anderson.)

Your roving multi-scene idea sounds more along the lines of the newer style "street magician" - moving around and capturing the moment on video.
I'm glad you will be adding the sub-titles!

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Neale Bacon
View Profile
Inner circle
Burnaby BC Canada
1775 Posts

Profile of Neale Bacon
Interesting ideas. We have a tourist spot here called Granville Island and there are lots of buskers, including magicians, but I have never seen a vent.

I wonder if vent would work for a busker?
Neale Bacon and his Crazy Critters
Burnaby BC
Canada's Favourite Family Ventriloquist
www.baconandfriends.com
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Servante
Granville Island! I LOVE Granville Island! I had a play I wrote done there the last couple of years!
Servante
View Profile
Inner circle
1330 Posts

Profile of Servante
And vent would go great on Granville Island.
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Neale,
It does - Otto is proof of that - in fact, I read George (not Otto) once got a tip from John Lennon.

My experience last summer let me see exactly how tough it can be. Drawing an audience is key - then you've really got to be tight to keep their attention. Improv is an important skill so you can instantly react to what happens around you. It is also tough to transition between figures - you will loose some of the crowd if the transition isn't strong.

Once you have a successful street show, you can pretty much take that experience anywhere. Street is one of the toughest areas to work as a vent in my opinion.
Tom

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Matt_24
View Profile
Loyal user
208 Posts

Profile of Matt_24
David Strassman started off performing on the streets of NEW YORK and we know how good he is.
Wanlu
View Profile
Inner circle
Manila, Philippines
3058 Posts

Profile of Wanlu
It will be completely different when people see a camera taking footages...

They simply cooperate more Smile
"The Old Path"
www.angdatingdaan.org

Wanlu's Affordable Puppets
http://wanlu.net/ventpuppets.html

Wanlu and his Puppets
http://wanlu.net
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » I'm a real boy! » » Reinventing Vent (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL