The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » The return of the big flap (Titanas & Chris Webb) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

phedonbilek
View Profile
Special user
Greece, Cameroon, France
884 Posts

Profile of phedonbilek
After having viewed my latest download from Titanasmagic I wanted to write something... I have recently given my opinion on another product of this store, the Thought-of card in balloon, and I have to say that so far every penny -or Eurocent- I have spent there has been well-spent, and it's good to see this little online shop grow bigger. I'm happy to see creative thinking, especially when it can apply to what I do best: close-up. Hence my enthusiasm with TROTBF: it just does NOT get more visual than this. Actually this defines visual. As a close-up magician I found something packing small, playing huge, and using gimmicks that require up to... what, 5 minutes maximum to construct if you're single-handed on a cruise ship in the middle of a 10-bophor storm.

Something I do not understand though is that the best part -for me- does not show in the demo video: it's the simultaneous change performed by Chris in the explanation, as an alternative to the performance in the demo. I find it plays bigger. That's personal though, but to me it's more logical this way than a separate change one at a time, leaving you -for ten seconds- with two bills at the same time (???).

To sum up I think this is a reputation-maker. Actually I don't think so. My audience did yesterday.

Phedon
...The only easy day is yesterday...
Titanas
View Profile
V.I.P.
1995 Posts

Profile of Titanas
Many thanks for this great review Phedon,
I would also like to inform everybody that the DVD is now out through your favorite dealer.
Best,
Titanas
Product Developer @ Murphys Magic Supplies
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Title: The Return of the Big Flap! by Titanas & Chris Webb
Medium: DVD
Arena: Close up, parlor, street assassin
Available: Any shop, distributed by Murphys Magic Supplies

Let me start by saying I love the title The Return of the Big Flap! I’m not sure why but it makes me happy inside. The DVD, introduced by a fellow named Titanas and then demonstrated and taught by Chris Webb, consists of three routines making use of a gimmicked bill and card that you get to make yourself. I like making my own gimmicks within my abilities and these were well within my abilities so I had a good time making everything. The basic routine is a playing card is changed into a bill, most any bill can be used but the US ones are the best in size and texture, and then the bill changes back into a card. I would call this a flash change for the first part because you show a card then with a snap there is a bill. The second change is slower and catches the eye because you see the bill one second then the next it is a card. The effects are very visual and I was fooled by the change of the bill back into a card. Angles and lighting can be a problem with different aspects of the routines but not too badly, you just need to be aware.

While strolling these might be good quickies and I think the street assassins will like them I’m still not convinced it is strong enough to take the place of any of my table material. I think the routines are better for hit and run type performances rather than part of a longer set. You may think differently and think this material is perfect for your restaurant set and you’d not be wrong, just different than I am. Though the DVD has different handlings and routines they are all basically the same and learning shouldn’t be a problem. Give it a bit of practice to get use to the handling and you’ll be off and running. The material you’ll need to set up you either have on hand now or can pick up at an office supply or Wal-Mart type store. I have seen similar gimmicks by the way but not a card to bill, usually in a one bill to another bill type set up. Pretty cool stuff.

The DVD itself is a mixed bag. The sound is fine and the camera guy did a fine job keeping things centered and following the action during performance pieces. The problem was a crap camera was used and the focus wasn’t nearly as sharp as it should have been. The standard has been set by some of the Brit companies and guys like Kozmo Magic and to not use a high def camera will be noticed. Chris does a good job with the demo and explains everything completely and does so with confidence. All in all a solid routine with various presentational options, very visual, and a DVD that could have used a better camera. If this sounds like your cup o’ tea give The Return of the Big Flap! consideration. I’ve had fun doing this for people at the lounge and it is a nice quickie.
Titanas
View Profile
V.I.P.
1995 Posts

Profile of Titanas
Dear MagicSanta,
Thanks for the great review. I am glad you had fun and success with the effect.
About the camera, we used an HD for the explanations this is why the explanations are so clean and good quality. Also, I would like to thank you about your kind words on the camera guy (that was me Smile )

Best,
Titanas
Product Developer @ Murphys Magic Supplies
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Cool! The camera guys who jump around and can't seem to find what is going on bother me, you did a good job. The quality was pro camera but lets face it, those guys at some of the companies have such high level film that you can see each hair on a guys arm! I have been having fun with the routines and think they might make it to my table work. Old school...that is the way to go!
Irishghost
View Profile
Inner circle
www.gaffguy.com
1228 Posts

Profile of Irishghost
I will be performing this at venues. The sound alone will draw the attention I need to have people requesting me to there table. Also I will use it in hecklers just to **** them off. Well worth the price. Well done!!!

Jeremy Hanrahan
I get to gaff some cool stuff for some cool people
chriswebbmagic
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of chriswebbmagic
Sorry guys I have been away recently on a small performing tour but if you need any info on this effect or any of my material then please message me. Also if you are finding it hard to get the dvd then jump to here http://www.chriswebbmagic.co.uk/4.html
and all details and best ways to get this are all here. Also watch out for 5 new releases over the next year or so!!!!

Fun times!
www.ChrisWebbVault.com

Creator of: Coffee Shot, Flash, Fickle and RE.
chriswebbmagic
View Profile
Regular user
140 Posts

Profile of chriswebbmagic
Hey guys you can have a chance of getting this dvd for free just go to

http://www.theforgottenart.com

and when you buy any pdf the 25 ,50, 75 and 100 person will receive a free dvd of the big flap!

enjoy!
www.ChrisWebbVault.com

Creator of: Coffee Shot, Flash, Fickle and RE.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Tricks & Effects » » The return of the big flap (Titanas & Chris Webb) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL