The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Where can I learn more on Pickpocketing? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
WR
View Profile
Special user
Utah
945 Posts

Profile of WR
"Tell Em WR sent Ya."
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
WR, that is the “Complete Course” I referenced in my post above. I think that Tannen’s still has a few copies of it! I have run across several copies at the various used magic book sites.

Symmatrix, the best Pickpocket shows are the ones that have the items stolen such that the audience can see the performer work. The psychology is much like the tissue balls over the head routines. Giving the items back as you take another is a pickpocket act standard. Rarely do you take items and keep them for the entire act. It just isn’t funny.

You really need to get a performance tape or two and see a performer at work doing his/her act. It will give you ideas on how to frame an act for yourself.

Mark Raffles ends with a jumbo cups and balls trick with four live chickens as the final load (three cups, four chickens!). Most end their act with an impossible stunt (steal something impossible to steal!).

I used to end my act using an “impossible” stunt. That is I did the old shirt pull stunt (using a stooge, OK, paid actor!). My act had a series of pickpocket like magic tricks as the closing sequence. A 20th century shorts (a very brief “Speedo” bathing suit from a large guy), A straight 20th century silks from a woman volunteer (the tension was that I was going to pull her bra out but didn’t! It got a big response and a good tension releaser laugh! I don’t do the bra trick, ever!) and the shirt pull. It builds up and ends with a big shocking stunt that garners both laughter and applause.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
IanKendall
View Profile
Special user
Edinburgh
571 Posts

Profile of IanKendall
The best video I've seen is 'How to Pick a Pocket or Two' by James Freedman, put out by Vic Pinto a few years ago. Much better than the Raffles tape.

Take care, Ian
Symmatrix
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of Symmatrix
To: Harry Murphy,

Sorry for the late responce. As I was busy with my products. Thanks again Murphy, for the important pointers and guidance. Thanks a lot for all the help.

To: Iankendall,

Thanks for sharing the information of the pickpocket video. I would like to ask that is this video still available. If yes, where can I read more about it.

Thanks

Symmatrix Smile
What We See Is Mainly Depend On What We Look For.
Only Those Who Can See The Invisible Can Do The Impossible.

Symmatrix Magic
WVMAGIC
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of WVMAGIC
I liked Chappy Brazils video. It was great, but I don't remember the title right now.
Symmatrix
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of Symmatrix
I believe the title is the watch steal video

If I am not wrong.

Symmatrix Smile

Symmatrix Magic
CoinCon
View Profile
New user
34 Posts

Profile of CoinCon
I just saw James Coats' new DVD Mastering the Art of Pickpocketing, it just came out yesterday and I got mine today, wow it is the real deal. If you want to learn real pickpocketing not this gimmicked stuff where you whisper in a spectator's ear "Give me your wallet" this is for you. I have never seen a DVD with such high quality filming, I am very very impressed. I found the techniques to be very easy to do and very real world. I didn't realize how easy it was to steal belts and ties not to mention dipping into pretty much any pocket and removing the contents. A plus, which I was not expecting, was James teaches both right handed and left handed pickpocketing. Guy's this is hot if you want to learn the real deal.
domclarke
View Profile
Regular user
Windsor, UK
147 Posts

Profile of domclarke
In the current series of Mind Control (UK) Derren Brown does some great pickpocketing on the streets - takes wallets, phones, ties. Might be an interesting source for you.
Socrates
View Profile
Regular user
197 Posts

Profile of Socrates
I'd say follow Nike advice and just do it!

You've already got a book on the subject, so now all you need do is go out and get caught doing it.

Field-testing your magic is the only way to learn.

Hope this helps.

Socrates

'Experience is our greatest teacher' - Unknown Smile
m@t
View Profile
Loyal user
London, UK www.MatthewLaskey.com
250 Posts

Profile of m@t
A little advice for those wanting to have a chance to practice without embarrasing yourselves in front of the public. When you are in a pub or at college, etc... see how many things you can steal off your friends.

With friends, hopefully they will know that your a magician and will understand why you tried to pickpocket them. A lot safer then the public.

Mat
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
Just an idea, but after picking someone, you could do a couple magic tricks and finish with a production of their item.

I think it would come off a little better then, "hey I just wanted to give this thing I stole from you back".
m@t
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of m@t
I have done an effect once when I steal their wallet, have them sit down, stand behind them and do a mentalism effect where I reveal their name etc. Then plant the wallet back on them and they never know!

M@t
mrbungle
View Profile
Regular user
149 Posts

Profile of mrbungle
Hello, check this link out: pretty interesting and with video!
Click Here!

cheers
Grandia Enterprises inc. 1974
Symmatrix
View Profile
Special user
553 Posts

Profile of Symmatrix
Great link Bungle...

Symmatrix

Is there anyone who can tape this for me "The Art of Distraction"

The link that Bungle gives.

Thanks

Symmatrix

Symmatrix Magic
m@t
View Profile
Loyal user
250 Posts

Profile of m@t
Hey Symmatrix, this was shown on T.V. 2 months ago, it's just a part of one of the episodes of the Derren Brown series. I have recorded most of the series including this episode with the pickpocketing.

Where abouts are you, because I could post you a copy. I live in London, U.K..

E-mail me or chat to me on MSN messenger;

Matthew_Laskey@hotmail.com

M@t Smile
Ty Argo
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
525 Posts

Profile of Ty Argo
Bob Arno's act shown partly on World's Greatest Magic 3 is a great thing to watch for some ideas and to see just how smooth a pickpocket act can/should be.
Dyslexics UNTIE!!
stine
View Profile
Regular user
TN
152 Posts

Profile of stine
Get the Ravel book and practice on a friend until you get the moves down. I made a dummy out of a big block of foam rubber, put clothes on it and hung it from my garage. If you do close-up you can practice fifty times a day as you table hop. I can't remember how many times I FORGOT to give someone back there watch and found it in my pocket at the NEXT table! I had someone turn me in to the manager once because I forgot to return her watch and she thought I was really stealig things! Thank goodness the manager knew it was a mistake and let me off the hook. I have many pickpocket stories if your interested.I was priviliged to be the fifth and last student of Jim Ravel and was shown his complete set and performed it until I became a full time comedian.
Sicorace
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Sicorace
Guys, James Brown and I have just released the most comprehensive online course on pickpocketing!
it's available now (special launch offer) here: http://www.powa.academy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » Where can I learn more on Pickpocketing? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL