The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Quicksilver (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

narcoleptic_insomniac
View Profile
Regular user
Kenosha, WI
140 Posts

Profile of narcoleptic_insomniac
I got the idea for this quick routine after watching a video of Mark Tirone's (Brokeback, I think) in which he used a nice little one-handed coin vanish by Curtis Kam:

http://vimeo.com/3810564

...or...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk1A4Epyd5A

Both are links to the same video (if they don't work, it's because they haven't been processed yet). As usual, all comments and constructive criticism are welcome ^_^

Thanks,
Kyle Czarnecki
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
It's hard to see what'e happening because when I watched it the imgaes were kind of quick and jumpy, not your movements but the video itself.
feher
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1421 Posts

Profile of feher
Kyle
Looked good but I have a question. Do you think your hand is in a natural position when your in the JW grip ????? That is a very stronge concelmment when used in the right place. but for this applacation it looked odd.
Don't take this wrong you exacuted it great but I feel it screams your up to something.
This is just my opinion and how I feel about that grip so if it works for you go with it. I'm not trying to tell you any different.
Tim
Mean people SUCK!!!!!!!
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Perfect for YouTube... or performing for one person Meander too far outside those constraints, however, and there's not much value for real world use, I'm afraid.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4291 Posts

Profile of Daegs
How is this different than the other hundreds of magicians that use an edge grip vanish and JW grip?
polygonsmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of polygonsmagic
Quote:
On 2009-03-23 20:15, Thomas Wayne wrote:
Perfect for YouTube... or performing for one person Meander too far outside those constraints, however, and there's not much value for real world use, I'm afraid.

TW

What about Shoot Ogawa, or any of these other guys that do this beautiful one on one stuff. Who's real world? Real world doesn't have to be surrounded. It can be just doing a very beautiful effect for one or two people. This is one of the most visual kind of sleight of hand because you can do so much more because you are taking advantage of the limited angles. Ever been on the receiving end of balls over the head? It's real magic. This seems less like constructive criticism and more like harassment. The guy has obviously worked hard and is obviously proud of his accomplishment or he wouldnt have posted it. Good or bad, give the guy a break. Tell him what to improve or what yo like if you have a comment. There are many magicians practicing this type of sleight of hand.
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2009-03-23 23:11, polygonsmagic wrote:
Quote:
Perfect for YouTube... or performing for one person with a fused spine who's strapped into a chair. Meander too far outside those constraints, however, and there's not much value for real world use, I'm afraid.

TW

[...] There are many magicians practicing this type of sleight of hand.

Yes there are... there certainly are. Nevertheless, the video was a good example of the phenomenon sometimes called "YouTube magic", which is what I was referring to.

And you might note that I didn't say anything negative about the handling; in fact, I said it was "perfect" - for certain audiences.

TW
MOST magicians: "Here's a quarter, it's gone, you're an idiot, it's back, you're a jerk, show's over." Jerry Seinfeld
polygonsmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of polygonsmagic
I get it. It's called sarcasm. I guess you missed my point or more likely ignored it.
Thomas Wayne
View Profile
Inner circle
Alaska
1977 Posts

Profile of Thomas Wayne
Quote:
On 2009-03-24 00:31, polygonsmagic wrote:
I get it. It's called sarcasm. I guess you missed my point or more likely ignored it.

Not sarcasm, and I didn't miss your point at all. But are you arguing that magic tricks suitable for only the narrowest of viewpoints are all in the same category as Balls over the Head? Or that the routine in this video could be substituted for the vanishing balls in B.o.t.H.? How would that work - would everyone standing around (except the one person) be exposed to the workings of the JW grip and/or the edge grip? Would you be playing that for laughs?

I said exactly what I meant; if you're trying to fool the YouTube camera, or a single person with a limited viewing angle, then this is the perfect trick - and he seems to do it just fine. On the other hand, if you're working under the more likely conditions found in a restaurant, walk-around gig or other live venues, then maybe something a little more angle-proof might be a better choice.

So I guess that's the improvement I'd suggest: develop some material for the type of live audience you're more likely to encounter in the real world.

TW
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
I agree with Tim, it looks like he's hiding something and holding his hands in a strange and unnatural manner. I'm not a big user of the JW Grip, but I would think that if that grip is being used, it wouldn't be that obvious. It wouldn't look like a JW Grip, I mean. It would look like a coin vanishing. I hope that makes sense. And Kyle---thanks for inviting all comments. That was smart. And brave.
narcoleptic_insomniac
View Profile
Regular user
Kenosha, WI
140 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-03-23 19:53, feher wrote:
Kyle
Looked good but I have a question. Do you think your hand is in a natural position when your in the JW grip ????? That is a very stronge concelmment when used in the right place. but for this applacation it looked odd.
Don't take this wrong you exacuted it great but I feel it screams your up to something.
This is just my opinion and how I feel about that grip so if it works for you go with it. I'm not trying to tell you any different.
Tim

I see your point, but the idea behind the trick is that the coin turns invisible with a shake of the hand -- not that it disappears completely. Thus, while I'm doing the JW grip, I'm displaying the "invisible" coin (on edge) between my middle finger and thumb (i.e. how the coins looks after the reveal). Thank you for the comments, though... maybe I will add some feints before the edge grip ^_^

Quote:

TW

Thanks for the kind words ^_^ I apologize for not including the context of the trick -- it was actually designed to be put on a video forum (vimeo.com). Although, over the past few days, I have also had quite a bit of success with it in the "real world" with traditional spines ^_^

Thanks Again,
Kyle Czarnecki
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Homer Liwag has some interesting things to say about JW Grip on his Coin 2 DVD that should be taken to heart.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
polygonsmagic
View Profile
Veteran user
372 Posts

Profile of polygonsmagic
Homer Liwag? Is he real world?
Pete McEwen
View Profile
Special user
Durham, N.C.
576 Posts

Profile of Pete McEwen
Hey Kyle,

The idea is a good one, and as you probably have guessed has been used before. I've seen Kainoa and Curtis do some great stuff with edge grip, I'm an edge gripper myself. With all the said the best thing you might do is pick up Bill Citino's book Coinsomnia. This is by far the best looking use of the one hand vanish. And when he uses it in context it's unbelievable. Right now the first part is a inferior version of his vanish in my opinion.

Secondly the appearance from JW, I've never liked. It's okay, but just never a fan. I believe I saw Ronnie Mead from Charlotte do a very cool variation of this trick and he used JW but he used it in a much more creative way. It's be worth it to hook up with him and talk about.

All-in-all. It's a great idea and you should run with it, but research other work first.

Thanks,

Pete
The magician formerly known as SPEEDcuber
"no one will believe the things we do if we don't believe them ourselves." - Slydini
PeteMcEwen@mac.com
narcoleptic_insomniac
View Profile
Regular user
Kenosha, WI
140 Posts

Quote:
On 2009-03-24 21:13, Pete McEwen wrote:
Hey Kyle,

The idea is a good one, and as you probably have guessed has been used before. I've seen Kainoa and Curtis do some great stuff with edge grip, I'm an edge gripper myself. With all the said the best thing you might do is pick up Bill Citino's book Coinsomnia. This is by far the best looking use of the one hand vanish. And when he uses it in context it's unbelievable. Right now the first part is a inferior version of his vanish in my opinion.

Secondly the appearance from JW, I've never liked. It's okay, but just never a fan. I believe I saw Ronnie Mead from Charlotte do a very cool variation of this trick and he used JW but he used it in a much more creative way. It's be worth it to hook up with him and talk about.

All-in-all. It's a great idea and you should run with it, but research other work first.

Thanks,

Pete

Thanks for the references -- I've heard many good things about Citino's Coinsomnia ...as for Harbottle, from what I've heard, his material is most likely still beyond me at this point. As for research, ideally I'd love to have all of this at my fingertips (literally) ^_^ ...however, I'm just a coin magic hobbiest/enthusiast; I am a mathematician by trade.

Anyways, thanks again to everyone for the comments and references...

Regards,
Kyle Czarnecki
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Quicksilver (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL