The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Idea for Extreme Burn maintenance (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
I just remade my gimmick with $20s (it suddenly becomes quite an expensive effect.) The twenties I have were not quite as crisp as I would have liked and the packet was a little fat and unruly.

So here's what I did...

While the whole wad is folded up, I slid a playing card into the center fold of each stack (of ones and twenties) and pushed it down to the bottom of the fold, then sandwiched the whole thing in the middle of a deck and clamped it tightly into a card press.

This morning, the bills look like they were just minted and the even though I'm doing a 5-bill switch, the packet is slim and tight!

This might be my first decent contribution to magic. : )

-Daniel
stretchl
View Profile
New user
Richmond, VA, USA
42 Posts

Profile of stretchl
Quote:
On 2009-03-27 10:54, DanielCoyne wrote:
I just remade my gimmick with $20s (it suddenly becomes quite an expensive effect.) The twenties I have were not quite as crisp as I would have liked and the packet was a little fat and unruly.

I'm just getting to work on this, and I'm wondering if I need some newer bills.

I'm using 2's and 20's. The 2's are totally new, but the 20's are *very* new but not completely so.

From my point of view, it seems pretty obvious that I'm holding a bunch of bills in the gimmick when it's supposed to be the single $2.

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on this...
Charles "Stretch" Ledford

"Walking the wire is life. The rest is just waiting." - Karl Wallenda, just days before he fell to his death

http://StretchPhotography.com
M Sini
View Profile
Inner circle
1359 Posts

Profile of M Sini
Quote:
On 2009-03-27 12:17, stretchl wrote:
Quote:

I'm just getting to work on this, and I'm wondering if I need some newer bills.

I'm using 2's and 20's. The 2's are totally new, but the 20's are *very* new but not completely so.

From my point of view, it seems pretty obvious that I'm holding a bunch of bills in the gimmick when it's supposed to be the single $2.

I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on this...

First, the gimmick will become a bit more workable once it's broke in a little.

Second, it most likely only looks that way to you because you know the secret. I'm not sure if you're using 4 or 5 bills but keep in mind the real bills are used for cover. I will flash the last one but only a flash then I put one or two bills back into my left hand to cover the gimmick and present 2 in one and hand 3 in the other to show the front and backs then go into the effect.
jnork
View Profile
Regular user
Jason Christopher
176 Posts

Profile of jnork
Charles,

I'd agree with the post above. I think you know what you are looking for, so it's obvious. There really is no reason for the audience to suspect anything since you're just showing them 5 bills ... then the change happens.

Have you seen Gregory Wilson's Hundy 500 video? If not, I'd recommend it ... he gives you some handling tips, and nice lines.

The Sanders effect is much better, visual, and versatile.

Jason Christopher
Yours in Magic!
Jason
Sammy J.
View Profile
Inner circle
Castle Rock, Colorado
1786 Posts

Profile of Sammy J.
I find that it is very important to keep things fluid. Move the stack slow enough that people can see the bills, but never let them stand still when there is a chance of a stack flash.
Sammy J. Teague
Eric Woods
View Profile
Regular user
Kansas City
115 Posts

Profile of Eric Woods
Nice idea Daniel. Thanks for sharing the tip.
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
Thanks Eric. I've used the press to freshen up the stack a few times since posting, and it continues to bring the bills back into new condition.

-Daniel
Apprentice
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of Apprentice
Thanks I will try this too.

isn't there also a way to steam iron or iron with a cloth over bills to make it crisp?

I could be wrong, I just thought I had read something like that a long time ago on this forum. but not sure.

if anyone knows anything on this topic please post.

thanks
Kevinr
View Profile
Inner circle
1854 Posts

Profile of Kevinr
Here is a link on how to make your money more crisp again:
http://www.ehow.com/how_2342168_make-wri......ain.html

Break out the old iron. This probably isn't the most practical solution for a vending machine, but a good idea if you are giving someone cash for their birthday or special event and the only $20 in your pocket is leaving a little to be desired. Place a piece of cloth of your dollar and iron it on low. As you pass over the dollar bill, hit it with a burst of steam. This will help crisp your dollar bill again.

Place your dollar bill in the freezer. The freezer is not only cold, but it removes moisture. By placing your dollar bill in the freezer, some of the residual moisture will be removed. Take it out in 20 minutes.

Bake your bill in the sun. If you don't care about the bill getting a bit sun-drenched, then leave it in the back window of your car with the sun bearing down. Like the freezer principle, the excess moisture will be removed as the sun hits the dollar bill and makes it a bit crisper.
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
And be careful where you park.
Apprentice
View Profile
Regular user
164 Posts

Profile of Apprentice
Great thanks Kevinr.
judgehiker
View Profile
New user
46 Posts

Profile of judgehiker
I used to use crisp bills, but I realized it is not natural to bring out all crisp bills. Now I use old money. It works well, slides easily and molds the packet right into my hand. I also only use only four bill packets. It gets just as good a reaction and folds much thinner in the wallet. The appearance of rubbing two bills between the thumb and forfinger of each hand if very natural and makes it easy to show both sides. I hope this is helpful.
ralphs007
View Profile
Inner circle
1087 Posts

Profile of ralphs007
Quote:

So here's what I did...

While the whole wad is folded up, I slid a playing card into the center fold of each stack (of ones and twenties) and pushed it down to the bottom of the fold, then sandwiched the whole thing in the middle of a deck and clamped it tightly into a card press.

This morning, the bills look like they were just minted and the even though I'm doing a 5-bill switch, the packet is slim and tight!

This might be my first decent contribution to magic. : )

-Daniel

Hi
I don't use a card press but I do use your playing card idea.
Thanks
Ralph
"You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him".
James D. Miles
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Paper money madness! » » Idea for Extreme Burn maintenance (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL