The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » How best to routine a 2 hour kids party show??? advice wanted! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
JimbosMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of JimbosMagic
Cheers George
I will give it a go. havent got a bloody clue what I'm doing.
JIMMY CARLO. KIDabra International Family Entertainer of the Year 2009.
IBM Triple Award Winner. Uk Champion of Comedy Magic.
Represented the UK in the United Slapstick Awards on German TV.
European Children's Entertainer of the year 2007/8
JimbosMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of JimbosMagic
JimbosMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
1334 Posts

Profile of JimbosMagic
keeblem
View Profile
Inner circle
Essex, UK
1167 Posts

Profile of keeblem
Quote:
On 2009-04-02 03:07, Tony James wrote:
Their are cultural differences here. First, no child worthy of the name will 'stand in line' waiting while you do something like a balloon.

This isn't true.

Mark
montymagi
View Profile
Special user
Slidell La
752 Posts

Profile of montymagi
I disagree as well. It happens every day here.
Donald Dunphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Victoria, BC, Canada
7565 Posts

Profile of Donald Dunphy
When I do balloon twisting at events and festivals, I've had children wait patiently in line for 15-30 minutes for a balloon.

However, I have learned from experience, that when doing balloons after a birthday party magic show, to not make them wait too long. They get very restless. I can make the balloon animals for 10-20 kids really quick, and I pre-make the essential part of the balloon hats and bring them with me.

- Donald
Donald Dunphy is a Victoria Magician, British Columbia, Canada.
The Wonder Company
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of The Wonder Company
In a BIRTHDAY situation, I always do my show first.
I know it works well for some people to do games first but personally I find it a bit much to ask a group of kids that have been having fun running around, dancing, playing games, and screaming happy birthday to sit still for ANY kind of a show. no matter how experienced or professional the entertainer.
I find it much easier to command the attention of the kids and adults with a show first. Directing ALL the attention to the stage.
Then after let them scream with joy and run around, in an organized fashion,
with the games leading into the balloons and face painting. aaand of course cake or pizza or tea.
After reading this thread, this might be a very American order of events.
but it's how I've done it for 10 years.
so that's my vote.
Show first.
Games second.
Repeat booking third.
Have a great gig DCB.
Red Shadow
View Profile
Inner circle
1788 Posts

Profile of Red Shadow
Wonder Company - A agree with you. In my two hour party - its the magic show first and games second. It also means you are ending on a game when the parents arrive to collect the kids. They see their child joining in, which is very important for obtaining referral work.

A magic show could only have one child joining in, but a dancing game has everybody.
pjw
View Profile
New user
23 Posts

Profile of pjw
Hi,
I used to do magic show last, however I changed some years back ,
my reasons are the magic seems to go beter before tea and I early collecting parents to not cause the same disruption during the games as the magic show.
now I do :-

10 to 15min of games to allow for late arrivals
magic show
food
games and fun to end
The Wonder Company
View Profile
New user
69 Posts

Profile of The Wonder Company
-They see their child joining in, which is very important for obtaining referral work.-
Well said Stephen. If the parents only have a few minutes, when they are picking up the kids, to judge the success of the party then I vote for screaming happy faces dancing as fast as they can. You don't even have to ask the kids if they are having fun. You can SEE IT! And nothing books more repeat shows than simply doing a great job and having the parents say to themselves, "Wow. My kid is having an amazing time at this party. How can I get this result when it is time for HIS or HER birthday."
eh?
Also I find it very organic to start the kids energy level at a lower point with focusing their attention on the show.
Stressing staying seated, and creating the "rules" of the show.
clapping
laughing
giving our attention and APPLAUSE to the helpers on the stage.
And THEN building their energy level throughout the show, using applause and laughter, and THEN blowing the lid off by letting them dance and scream with joy at the prospect of winning prizes (balloons) and eating cake.
And we've all had the group of Parents that won't shut up during the show right?
By starting the show first you can let them know right off the bat that it would be helpful if they too gave you their attention to make the party a success.
But you can't really blame them for talking during freeze dance right?
eh?
my 2 cents
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » How best to routine a 2 hour kids party show??? advice wanted! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL