The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Collected Works of Alex Elmsley (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
I was considering buying the two books recently but decided I would wait to hear from other peoples opinions. Would you say that they are worth the price? Which book is better, or should both be obtained? Do the books cover his work on card counts (not just the elmsley count)?

Thank you,
Owen

:carrot: Smile
Mark Martinez
View Profile
Inner circle
Wisconsin
1276 Posts

Profile of Mark Martinez
I own both books, and I think they are both great! I would recommend getting them. Are they worth the price "Yes". Which is better? It depends on what you are looking for...

Here is a description!
Magically,
Mark

Success comes before work only in the dictionary. - Anonymous
MrCyNic
View Profile
Loyal user
England
238 Posts

Profile of MrCyNic
Hi!

They were certainly worth the money to me. In fact, I enjoyed the books so much that I bought the L&L videos as well.

As to which is better, I'd find it very hard to choose. There's a good mixture of material and theory in both. The work's quite technical in places (the Multiplying Aces took me forever to get the hang of), but definitely worth the effort.

Volume 1 has the main Elmsley Count chapter, but Volume 2 has the big Faro section. Both books move away from cards at times to cover other areas of magic (coins, cups and balls etc).

Hope that's some help.

Cy.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Collinespell is a great routine. I use it all time.
Paul
View Profile
Inner circle
A good lecturer at your service!
4409 Posts

Profile of Paul
Get both. And while you're at it pick up the two Roy Walton books.Smile

Paul.
Euan
View Profile
Inner circle
1041 Posts

Profile of Euan
"Do the books cover his work on card counts (not just the elmsley count)?"

Yes. There are various effects using "the 5 as 5 count", "everchange count", "neverchange count" and of course the "ghost count".

--Euan
owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
Hi, Thanks for all the help, It sounds like I will get both of the books. Do either of the books contain:

His Cups and Balls?
Dazzle Packet trick?

Thanks for the help,
Owen

:banana: Smile
wayman
View Profile
Special user
England - Sunderland
589 Posts

Profile of wayman
It his does have his full DAZZLE ACT in volume II.
Euan
View Profile
Inner circle
1041 Posts

Profile of Euan
and the cups and balls with the salt production in volume one

--Euan
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I agree with my peers on this one. These books are great and one of the most overlooked mines of wonderful material around. Get both--you won't be disappointed!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
These are some of my favorite books. Hope you did buy them.

Andre
ajcombri@telkomsa.net
stephenbanning
View Profile
Regular user
United States
178 Posts

Profile of stephenbanning
Quote:
On 2003-05-16 19:20, Euan wrote:
"Do the books cover his work on card counts (not just the elmsley count)?"

Yes. There are various effects using "the 5 as 5 count", "everchange count", "neverchange count" and of course the "ghost count".

Actually the Elmsley Count and Ghost Count are the same thing. It was originally called the Ghost Count by Elmsley. Later it became popular and people began to call it the Ghost Count. When Dai Vernon first described Twisting the Aces he referred to it as the Ghost Count.

--Euan
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Both of them are definitely a must buy.
Got them signed when I had the pleasure to meet Mr. Elmsley himself.

Peo
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
andre combrinck
View Profile
Special user
South Africa
953 Posts

Profile of andre combrinck
Looked through these books again and got totally blown away again. Brilliant effects and sleights. These books rock. They have moved into 2nd position in my all-time favorites.
Andre
owen.daniel
View Profile
Inner circle
England
1048 Posts

Profile of owen.daniel
Ok I bought these books a while ago, and had the chance to get Alex to sign them earlier this year. They are possibly the best reference for magic I own (and I own quite a few books). The stuff on the Faro is great, and some of the novel methods etc. are great.
Thanks guys for the suggestions,

owen
Rob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Utah
2060 Posts

Profile of Rob Johnston
I am relatively new into cards, and have been thinking of purchasing these two books. They are great quality from what I have read in them.
"Genius is another word for magic, and the whole point of magic is that it is inexplicable." - Margot Fonteyn
Nir Dahan
View Profile
Inner circle
Munich, Germany
1390 Posts

Profile of Nir Dahan
There is also some nice mentalism ideas inside believe it or not...
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Have both books as well as videos. If you can swing it get all of the above. Watching him perform on the video is an experience you will never forget as he is a very humble performer and the nicest person you will ever have the pleasure of seeing perform.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Fayaad Manie
View Profile
Loyal user
237 Posts

Profile of Fayaad Manie
3 words:
Simply the best.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Collected Works of Alex Elmsley (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL