The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » 20th Century Silk (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

B Hackler
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of B Hackler
I am new to silk magic and I am wanting to know where I can find information on how to make non gimmicked 20th century silks, how to tie the silks and prep them to use in the effect. Any help would be great. thanks and God bless.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Try Rice's Silk Encyclopedia Volume 2 Chapter 17.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I believe there is also Neil Foster's method described in Volume 4 of Rices or you can get the instructions direct from Abbott's.

I sell a gimmicked or non gimmicked set. The advantage of the non gimmick is you can use the silks for other effects after the 20th century by upsetting the knots. Others prefer the prepared method.

There is no right or wrong on this. It is what suits your needs. I have used both and neither takes longer to set than the other. Both are secure if properly handled in all performing conditions.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
B Hackler
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of B Hackler
Thanks for all of the help.
Oliver Ross
View Profile
Inner circle
Europe
1724 Posts

Profile of Oliver Ross
Jay Scott Berry has sold aswell a very nice ungimmicked version of this trick.

Oliver.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I perform a non-gimmicked version that I came up with, years ago. At least, the silks are ungimmicked. It does use a gimmick - a hank ball. The Laflin video on the hank ball will show you how to do the vanish of the silk. I use the same ball to make the silk appear, which really makes the silk "appear" before the vanish occurs. If you'd like more details, I think I still have a write-up of the method details, to send via email or PM.
B Hackler
View Profile
Special user
778 Posts

Profile of B Hackler
Alan I sent you a PM
DanielCoyne
View Profile
Special user
Western Massachussetts
544 Posts

Profile of DanielCoyne
The Laflin hank-ball video also shows a clever method for performing 20th Century Silks using 2 hank balls and non-gimmicked silks.

-Daniel
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
For those who are afraid of using gimmicked 20th Century props, an easy way to "dump" the final production is to go from there to a bag type Blendo. Even better, it stays on theme!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- As the magicians' silk importer, it is clear to me that it is extremely rare for a profession to use the ungimmicked version over the gimmicked versions. Also the gimmicked version they use most is not typically available in magic shops. It is also available in 24". Catch me at a lecture and I'll show you the differences.
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
TRUMPETMAN
View Profile
Special user
Naples, FL
705 Posts

Profile of TRUMPETMAN
I got my SilkMagic/SilkBiz 20th Century set this week ! Orange and Black, my old high school colors. Man, is it smooth. Nicely made. I can't wait to put it in the show....

Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
Mark Pettey
Naples, FL
facebook.com/robbietheringmaster
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Mark,

It sounds like it is going to fit well into Halloween shows too! Smart move!

People just don't realize how many color combinations are possible.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » 20th Century Silk (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL