The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » The famous "I need a routine and fast!" question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

silverfire9
View Profile
Veteran user
Rochester Hills, MI
323 Posts

Profile of silverfire9
Before I get all the usual cautions against starting out without proper training and preparedness, etc., let me say that I know all that already and I'm usually right on board with everyone else there. Also let me say that I am a trained hypnotist and have done walkabout (street) trance before; Richard and John can attest to my training, in part, as can Sean Michael Andrews.

That out of the way, it was recently brought to my attention that the Michigan RenFest (coming up very soon) has been holding auditions and the last one before it opens is April 26th. I was unaware until just in the past couple days.

I have no idea if they're open to hypnosis or any form of hypnotic entertainment, but if I can come up with a suitable act in time, I'm thinking of going and auditioning. I don't know whether strolling or stage would be better (or if there's even an option at this stage in the game), and I don't know if trying to adapt it to be period would be good (strolling Mesmerist? Might be fun) or not.

Any suggestions and ideas would be appreciated.

Joshua

PS. I have tons of time to practice and rehearse before the actual audition, so no worries there, either. Smile
Nongard1
View Profile
Special user
664 Posts

Profile of Nongard1
Yes, you do have many appropriate live and DVD training courses. From me and others. I am suprised you haven't yet taken the plunge to perform and would encourage you to do so.

As for a basic routine, look at the skits and bits DVD (I think you have it) and pick out thirty minutes that you like and do a show....

Keep it simple, effective and fun.

It is perfectly OK to borrow routines from your mentors, me, John, Sean, BDPothers, and begin to practice them and refine them and eventually adapt them as your own. You will do well....

A short show?

1.) Orchestra (I use La bamba)
2.) Hot/Cold
3.) Cerbones speed rounds...
4.) My favotire Shoe Puppies (I have a clip on youtube)
5.) VooDoo Doll
6.) a crazy ending dance bit

That is a short show, easy to do skits and fun... It stays away from the individual stuff that requires more confidence, and would be easy to put togehter with a 4 minute pretalk, 5 minutes induction, and 21 minute routine...

A short show, and a good easy start...
Dr. Richard Nongard, Professional Hypnosis Training
Learn how to master the art of SpeedTrance, Clinical and Stage Hypnosis
silverfire9
View Profile
Veteran user
Rochester Hills, MI
323 Posts

Profile of silverfire9
Thanks, Richard. Part of the reason I haven't performed yet is cold feet combined with general laziness. Now there's the added factor of my fiance not being completely sold on stage hypnosis being a good thing. Smile But ... she did point me to the RenFest audition, so ... fair game, I think, if I can come up with a decent act.

My main question, really, is how period should I go? Should I try and play the part of a hypnotist of "that era" or should I not care too much about that and focus on entertaining instead? And I know some of the answer to that depends entirely on the judges at the audition. It's still potentially useful to discuss here.

The corollary to that question is obviously what would a period hypnotist wear and how would he act? The earliest hypnotists coming to my mind are Rasputin and Mesmer.

Also, not knowing if I even have a chance at a stage act, given this'll be my first time, makes it somewhat harder to prepare for an audition. Smile Stage act would be easier, I think, but walkabout may be the only option. And if I'm doing walkabout, I may not be allowed to bring anything to play music, etc.

A lot of these are unanswerable (as yet) thoughts running through my head and will have to wait till I'm there to be answered. I recognize that.

Anyway, I will definitely take another look at your Skits and Bits DVD, Richard, and see what could be made period, if needed.

Joshua
dmkraig
View Profile
Inner circle
1949 Posts

Profile of dmkraig
I would think the answer as to how period you should go depends upon the attitude of the people putting on the faire. For example, if they're sticklers, you couldn't do La Bamba. You might be able to do "Sumer is a commin' in," but you'd need a band to play with. Rasputin and Mesmer are both several hundred years too late for the Renaissance. I'd say think more in terms of John Dee or perhaps a "juggler" (who often was a magician).
silverfire9
View Profile
Veteran user
Rochester Hills, MI
323 Posts

Profile of silverfire9
Hmm. John Dee might be fun, too ... I'd be combining magic and hypnosis for him, though, I think.

And you're right about Mesmer and Rasputin being too late; they were merely the only names popping into my head, for whatever reason.

Joshua
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
I am not sure "period" stuff works as hypnosis is sort of timeless anyhow.

BUT that being said, why not have them doing "Ren Fair stuff"? Falconing, eating turkey legs with really hot sauce, make someone the "jester" and so forth.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
silverfire9
View Profile
Veteran user
Rochester Hills, MI
323 Posts

Profile of silverfire9
Those are some good ideas, Danny, thanks!

Joshua
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Go with a VOODOO DOLL Routine...

Looks like "Real Magic" to layman, imo...

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » The famous "I need a routine and fast!" question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL