The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Doug Takes You To The Circus (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
http://grindshow.com/grindshow/circus.html

Got up nice and early and shot you folks a tour of the setting up of a big show.

This is part one. Part 2 will be on Monday after we see the show.

Please enjoy!
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1832 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Thank you Doug for all the great shots, especially the raising of the tent. Absolutely fabulous shot!

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Magnus Eisengrim
View Profile
Inner circle
Sulla placed heads on
1053 Posts

Profile of Magnus Eisengrim
Great stuff, Doug. Thanks.

John
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.--Yeats
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Your most welcome. For those with Anaglyph Glasses I just uploaded a 3-D shot.

There will be more 3-D next week. Smile
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
227 Posts

Profile of balducci
Nice little photographic essay.

About how long does it take them to raise the tent?
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Very nice photos, thank you Doug.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
YW.

It was taking longer than usual I guess today. I was there about three hours and there was still a lot to do. The so-called Euro Tops (4 King Pole) are pretty complicated...plus after they 'get it up' all the rigging has to go in along with the complex lighting and the seats etc. Incredible amount of work to do.

This show, Carson Barnes is using the One Ring Euro top this year, which as you can see is big but not gigantic. Prior to this year they were using the big 5 Ring
(FIVE!!!) Top that was the size (literally) of an American Football field. Now here' sht ekicker for MANY years the monster set up and slough (take down) was an EVERY day affair...they only did One Nighters! Hard to believe or even comprhend...the take down (slough) would begin DURING the last show of the night...they had to be packed up and on the road to arrive at the next stop (sometime many miles away) the next morning and SET UP for that afternoons show. INSANE!!! They had a huge menagerie as well even a massive Rhino. What a show.
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5194 Posts

Profile of landmark
Just for comparison, how long and how much manpower is used to set up Barnum and Bailey's?

Jack
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1868 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
Jack,

In California Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Baily Circus only plays in convention centers. They don't use a tent at all. But they set up quickly as well as they have a tight performing schedule as Carson & Barnes.

Doug,

Thanks so much for sharing! I used to take my children to the circus every year. They would come to work with me and lay next to my desk and take a nap and then after work, we would have dinner and go to the circus. They looked forward to it each and every year. (Mom didn't like circuses; so she stayed home and it was dad's day with the children. Mom got the day off.) I love the pictures of raising the tent. I would see the trucks pull in during the middle of the night and the tent was up by breakfast! And it didn't matter. In the dark, in the rain, and even in 40 mph desert winds, those guys got the job done. Amazing crews! Your pictures really brought back memories (my children are in their mid 20's now). Thanks again.
Coram Deo
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Your most welcome.

Ringling is all arenas coast to coast. Have been for many years but they are still a Railroad show and march the Elephants from the train tracks to the venue at every stop. Too cool. Gotta get up early for that!

Feel bad that I missed Circus Vargas that came through earlier in the month.
Played the same location too! oops.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
This is the best post I've read this year, without a doubt. In fact, it's one of the best posts I've ever read in the history of the Café.

Sheese! Doug, do you think if I called one of the circuses coming to town this summer they'd let me do the same thing? I ain't no photographer, so it wouldn't be as good. But it might be interesting to see how a circus here in Europe goes up.
Doug Higley
View Profile
1942 - 2022
7152 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I'd love to see that!
I'm sure they'd like it as long as assured them you of a POSITIVE portrayal.

Show them my web site...tell them I'll add their show to the site.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Doug Takes You To The Circus (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL