The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Shaddow Box question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicJeremy
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of MagicJeremy
Has anyone ever had success in using a shadow box outdoors in daylight, in a shadded pavilion or stage. If yes what type of light for the inside of the box would be strong enough to cast a shaddow?
Matthew W
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2456 Posts

Profile of Matthew W
I think that the type of light that they use in automotive shops, that have the wire on one side and solid metal on the other. Not sure what they are called. That way you won't blind your assistant, or burn her with the bulb.

I doubt there would be a problem performing it outside. Remember the light is inside the box that has a top, so there would be no light in between the assistant casting the shadows and the screen.
-Matt
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
Drop light!
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
I think only head-on sunlight would wash the shadow effect.

B
David Garrity
View Profile
Special user
525 Posts

Profile of David Garrity
You'll have to be very careful about any sort of backlighting with this illusion otherwise when you open the front door to show the prop empty you'll be doing a magic lecture instead of a magic show!!

If this won't be a problem, you'll need the strongest light you can get to use for the routine, daylight is much stronger than most people think when it comes to outdoor style shows, even in shaded areas.

Be careful, however, to make sure the light doesn't pull too much power, otherwise, when you turn it on to show the box empty you'll take out the sound system and anything else that is plugged into the same circuit!

Just some words from experience, especially the power problem!!!!

Sincerely,
David
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Shaddow Box question (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL