The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Non-hypnosis show (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9
bobser
View Profile
Inner circle
4179 Posts

Profile of bobser
I believe you can do a total hypnosis show whilst simply deying that that's what it is. You WOULD actually have to use the words hypnosis, sleep and trance, but only naming in them in order to deny their existence. I do hope this makes sense. Then you go ahead and do the show. It doesn't matter whether you believe hypnosis exists or not, just as long as you act accordingly and do exactly what you would do in a normal hypnosis show. BUT: hypnosis is now called bing, sleep is called bang and trance is now named boom.
It is now called: The BING BANG BOOM SHOW (and now call yourself Tony, or it simply will not work).
I really don't think I should have released this for free! If anyone takes this up so will I, and I'll site this dated reference as proof that it was all MY idea.
THE CRAZY THING IS IT'D PROBABLY WORK!
Bob Burns is the creator of The Swan.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Quote:
On 2009-06-09 10:16, bobser wrote:
I believe you can do a total hypnosis show whilst simply deying that that's what it is.

THE CRAZY THING IS IT'D PROBABLY WORK!

You're right, Bobser. It does work. I've done it for conferences where they don't want their attendees hypnotised. I call the show hypno-idol, and I get a number of volunteers up to play a game that has nothing to do with hypnosis. I ask the first to pretend to be hypnotised, then show everyone how he did it wrong. After that anytime I say sleep they all slump over very convincingly.
After this we don't bother with an induction. I just play some music and ask them to use their imagination to respond as if they were hypnotised - and the audience will begin voting off the stage those who are not responding. After two or three have been voted off, the rest get the idea and perform perfectly for me.
Give it a try sometime. You'll be surprised.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
I don't think hypnosis on stage can be faked. Not the shows Ive seen or performed. People just don't react the same. So you are either using an induction but don't know your using one. Asking someone to pretend can be an induction. Or you are indeed doing non hypnosis shows and getting people to go along with you.

Ive had people believe that they faked being onstage and claimed they were in control at all times. Only to see the shock on their faces when their friends told them what they had done. They had absolutely no recollection of most of what they got up to. Or their memory of what happened didn't match the reality.

Perhaps they did go along and ive just been lucky to get a long string of volunteers that naturally have blackouts and don't mind looking stupid.
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
There are some animals that have a survival instinct that causes them to freeze when they are attacked. I believe a rabbit is one. Sometimes their attacker is an animal that only eats live prey. Believing the rabbit is dead, they drop it, and the rabbit lives to not fight another day.
Perhaps humans have some sort of psychological mechanism which allows them to delude themselves that they were in a trance when they were playing along? Or perhaps I am wrong, and trance exists. I am basing my non-belief on my experience, and it is a sincere non-belief. But I could be wrong.
Either way it doesn't matter to me. My only concern, since I don't do therapy, is to provide a show that people will enjoy and will rebook. And that happens. Most of the time I use an induction. I don't believe it is necessary, but the audience expects it. Occasionally an induction and a mention of hypnosis is the wrong approach, and in those circumstances I do not use an induction and specifically tell the people that I am not going to hypnotise them. It all depends on the requirements of the show.
The Game
View Profile
Regular user
Israel
180 Posts

Profile of The Game
1) Ormond Mcgill (I have his Encyclopedia) in "concert of hypnotism" video begins by saying "We are not going to begin with hypnosis, but with meditation. the most powerful thing is the imagination of the human mind. By pretending everything can occur. From pretending you move to belief and then to reality." and then goes to the inductions.

2) Kenton uses in "twists and trances" the ruse "I'm not hypnotized"; when people affirm this they subconscious gets the message "i'm hypnotized"

Any thoughts?
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Quote:
On 2009-06-09 18:22, TonyB2009 wrote:
There are some animals that have a survival instinct that causes them to freeze when they are attacked. I believe a rabbit is one. Sometimes their attacker is an animal that only eats live prey. Believing the rabbit is dead, they drop it, and the rabbit lives to not fight another day.
Perhaps humans have some sort of psychological mechanism which allows them to delude themselves that they were in a trance when they were playing along? Or perhaps I am wrong, and trance exists. I am basing my non-belief on my experience, and it is a sincere non-belief. But I could be wrong.
Either way it doesn't matter to me. My only concern, since I don't do therapy, is to provide a show that people will enjoy and will rebook. And that happens. Most of the time I use an induction. I don't believe it is necessary, but the audience expects it. Occasionally an induction and a mention of hypnosis is the wrong approach, and in those circumstances I do not use an induction and specifically tell the people that I am not going to hypnotise them. It all depends on the requirements of the show.

Ha Ha! Hey Tony you need to come up with a better argument! I think you have a mechanism for deluding yourself that hypnosis doesn't exist.

Inductions can be covert you know. And also try a show where you don't mention the word "hypnosis" and see what results you get. Don't use it in the description to the booker or any marketing material. Don't mention it to the audience.

I am not going to hypnotise you = I am going to hypnotise you. Since the only way you can make sense of that statement is to imagine what it would be like to be hypnotised. They are both hypnotic commands. You are just a better hypnotist than you realise.

I am not going to tell you that hypnosis exists or that you already use hypnosis. I am not even going to tell you your convictions and commitment to non-hypnosis daftness prevents you from admitting it because it would be too painful.

Because if I did you would read this and go into an automatic polar response seeking to counter everything that you deeply know to be true. (at least a part of you does that's why you do hypnosis shows) But it won't happen because I never said anything did I?
TonyB2009
View Profile
Inner circle
5006 Posts

Profile of TonyB2009
Hi Mindpunisher. I don't believe there is an inconsistency in doing hypnosis shows and not believing in hypnosis, any more than I believe there is an inconsistency in doing magic and not believing in magic.
mindpunisher
View Profile
Inner circle
6132 Posts

Profile of mindpunisher
Perhaps that's the problem.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » You are getting sleepy...very sleepy... » » Non-hypnosis show (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8~9
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL