The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Copperfield Cut (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jordan Piper
View Profile
Veteran user
British Columbia, Canada
309 Posts

Profile of Jordan Piper
I tried a search on this but couldn't find anything. Do you remember a special awhile back where Copperfeild cut himself in half with a laser and then walked around carrying the other half of his body. Reading some posts about David Blaine this got me to thinking if it was camera trickery as it did look a little phony. Any thoughts?
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
No, it isn't camera trickery and is one of my favorite effects. I believe it was created by Steve Fearson and it can be done in normal stage settings.

Lee
Vincenzo
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
215 Posts

Profile of Vincenzo
It is an illusion by Steve Fearson, called "Splitting Image" or "Laser"
It's a real trick. No camera trickery.
The angles aren't great.
There is no way to get it because Copperfield purchased the rights to this illusion forever.
However if you want to do a less expensive version of then effect, you can try "Division" by me. (Vincenzo Ravina). It's availible from hocus-pocus, magicsmith and finer magic dealers everywhere.
http://hocus-pocus.com/magicshop/product......tem=3554

-Vincenzo
IllusionJack
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas, Nevada
376 Posts

Profile of IllusionJack
Yeah, that illusion looked really cool on TV and just as cool, if not cooler, in David's live stage show.

He protected the secret to it very carefully - only a select few of the crew knew precisely how it worked. Unfortunately he no longer performs it in his show and has not done so for some time now.

Something that is along the same genre, though not exactly the same illusion, is the often praised "Bisection" illusion by Andrew Mayne. Here we have the same idea of being cut in half, with the upper half of the body vanishing completely.

- Jack Smile
JAEIII
View Profile
Veteran user
310 Posts

Profile of JAEIII
I've seen David do this illusion five times live, and each time was equally amazing. If you know the secret, then you know it is difficult to perform, but David pulls it off like a true artist. He has taken it out of the show for now, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him bring it back in a future tour. Since he has the only rights to it, we can only hope he'll bring it back.

You can go to http://www.davidcopperfield.com. Enter the site and click on the "tour" section. There is a picture of David doing this illusion.
Believe In Magic....I do!
Schaden
View Profile
Inner circle
Purgatory
1253 Posts

Profile of Schaden
Quote:
On 2003-05-19 11:05, JAEIII wrote:
....Since he has the only rights to it, we can only hope he'll bring it back.

Yah, it would be kind of a waste of he didn't.

Lee
magictim
View Profile
Veteran user
Lake Charles, LA
396 Posts

Profile of magictim
Maybe we could have a party between us magicians, get him drunk, tell him we're doing a signed card routine, and have him sign the rights out to everyone present. Smile
JuRim
View Profile
Regular user
112 Posts

Profile of JuRim
Have we seen the same effect ,,Laser". On television in the Tornado of Fire Special, great effect, great,great effect!!! But live? I saw Copperfield here in Germany and I was sitting in the first row, almost next to his parents. And I saw almost nothing of the effect, the lighting was dark and after he completed himself again,he was running or better some of his stagehands carried the Pants away...

Anyway Copperfield is god! No doubt! Smile Smile Smile
I asked if she like cardtricks. she said:No! I did four...
Patrick T.
View Profile
New user
Esslingen / Germany
39 Posts

Profile of Patrick T.
Hey!!
I made something similar to this Illusion here in Germany. It is different from the one David Copperfield does, not to say it is better!Now im trying to find out if i can perform it without getting problems with Copperfield.
Patrick Thomas
MAGICBYTIM
View Profile
Special user
Louisiana
531 Posts

Profile of MAGICBYTIM
I have seen David do this live and wasn't all that impressed. The angles on it are really bad. It might have also been the lighting. I could see exactly what he was doing and I was about half way back and a little off center. I am sure the folks up fron and on either side of the stage had a better look. The rest of the show was great.
mike_york
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mike_york
I wonder if that's why David took it out of the show. Perhaps he is working on making it better.

I have seen it both live and on TV regardless of the dark stage I loved this illusion.

It seams to go over really well. I would love to see David put it back into the show after some minor changes to it.

REALLY COOL EFFECT!

Mike
MagiCat
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of MagiCat
We often times criticize David Blaine for his "Higher then Balducci" camera-tricked levitation. I don't know the exact workings of Laser, but did see it live from the Orchestra pit and saw ... well, too much.

Having said that, I think this is one of the best illusions to hit the main-stream in years, and Copperfield is a true artist (Steve Fearson being a visionary).

Which brings me back to camera tricks, on Copperfield's "Tornado of Fire" illusion he does this trick OUTDOORS, or rather, is bouncing around in the position (holding his legs) outside. This seems to only be done by a camera trick, any thoughts?

MagiCat Smile
i-o-f
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of i-o-f
@MagiCat:

These bouncing moves are not camera tricks. You can do them in the splittet position. The only used "trickery" is, that you only have a look from the very best viewing angles. But who would not use that possibility ?

Oliver
Oliver

c/o www.oliverdeluca.de
magictim
View Profile
Veteran user
Lake Charles, LA
396 Posts

Profile of magictim
Is the picture on the site fake? In the special and in life I don't recall him leaning that far from his body. Just wondering. Smile
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5777 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
It's "touched up" a little I think, magictim.
Well... Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
schmitty65
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of schmitty65
Does anybody have a demo of the "division" trick?
mike_york
View Profile
Loyal user
228 Posts

Profile of mike_york
To my knowledge it has not been released on any DVD or video that can be purchased. However, David does perform the Laser Illusion on his last TV special Tornado Of Fire. You might be able to find someone who taped it.

Mike
Tor Egil
View Profile
Elite user
Norway
495 Posts

Profile of Tor Egil
Go to http://www.themagicofdc.com/. In the multimedia section you will find a lot of videos.
Luis Sirgado
View Profile
New user
Portugal
90 Posts

Profile of Luis Sirgado
The laser, is a very good but trick, have some angle problems, but once you know the secret it´s easy to perform, unfortunately david have the rights to perfom that illusion, but I´m building the laser at home, and it´s very nice, but I will not perfom that in public

luis Smile
"One of the greatest accomplishments of magicians in the last century is the ability to take something inherently profound and render it trivial."

-Max Maven-
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Copperfield Cut (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL