The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Amateur Magician's Handbook pg. 129 (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
JohnWells
View Profile
Inner circle
The Southern Wild
1791 Posts

Profile of JohnWells
Lybrary.com rocks. This was my favorite book coming up, and I still use it. There is not a better way to spend $25.
KirkG
View Profile
Inner circle
1391 Posts

Profile of KirkG
Best book by far on general magic. It has gems in all categories and really gives a great foundation to build on.

If you are doing four coin roll downs or five coin roll downs it really is better if they all are the same diameter and condition. The friction of the newer coins help. I had a softened set re-sized and milled to give me the best of both worlds.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
I like Hay's take on this as even in my own writing of my coin work I come across little ideosyncrocies with the coins, certain little movements or physical properties of old vs. new coins that if you go this way instead of that way it just doesn't work as well for some reason. And you can under and over explain this stuff sometimes. I can only imagine going back to Henry Hay's days. Smile I'm real glad people like Hay took their stabs at it and I always appreciated his great book (And it was really great to me when I was a kid). Smile I'm actually still finding such things out in coin magic. I love all the discovery. Smile As a matter of fact, I just noticed something this morning that I've never seen before with the same old coin in the same old hand. I think this is why I love this stuff. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
fonda57
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
3080 Posts

Profile of fonda57
You can get that book at Borders.com for under five bucks.
Conus
View Profile
Special user
657 Posts

Profile of Conus
He's talking about the milling, and stressing the importance of consistency of feel for handling single coins in the stack.

I do not see the need to go this far. If you are familiar with your props and consistent in your specific handling (and practice), you should be good to go!

If it helps you, try using a little violin rosin per Eddie Joseph's instructions.
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
Hmm, sounds like I am sold here lol. What kind of material is in here?
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
The bulk of the multi-coin handlings in the Hay book involve the Oblique Palm. The milling helps very much here. The moves can be done silently even with fairly new coins. That said if you look at the photos you'll get a good idea of the condition of the coins Hay was using. He mentions remilling coins in the text.

I used the Oblique palm for quite some time. Very useful. Much easier to work with multiple coins than the classic palm.

MarkTirone asks:
Quote:
What kind of material is in here?

The better question is what kind of material isn't in here? Hay covers just about everything. You won't find the really modern techniques but I guarantee you can still fool many magicians and laymen alike with the material in that book. Read and understand the first two chapters and you'll be ahead of 90% of the magic community.

Hope that helps.
MarkTirone
View Profile
Inner circle
palming not 1 coin, but
1139 Posts

Profile of MarkTirone
AWESOME! I think I know what I will be getting next Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Amateur Magician's Handbook pg. 129 (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL