The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » New Street MagicRoutine (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Shadow Dancer
View Profile
New user
Melbourne, Australia
61 Posts

Profile of Shadow Dancer
Hi, I've been into magic for about 7 years now but I've only tried my hand a street magic once, and it was a bit failure, only a few bucks in hand.
I'm looking for a new routine and don't have any ideas.
What are some of the most effective illusions for street magic that you think would be suitable for large crounds?
What sort of clothing is best, what sort of music- if any?
'The most beautiful thing we can experience is the mysterious.'
<br> AlbertEinstein
M@gic Man
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
121 Posts

Profile of M@gic Man
Hello tim
I think that you should do magic with ordinary looking everyday objects, like coins, pens, dollar notes, rubberbands and items borrowed from spectators.
I believe these get the best reaction, instead of things that look like magic props, eg: cups and balls and tenyo tricks .ect

I don't do street magic myself so i don't know what is the best thing to wear.
But if you look at other street magicians and get ideas from them.(without copying them directly)
for example: you could see what they perform ,what works best under different conditions and which tricks get the best reactions.

Hope this helps

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Its not what you do, but how you do it.
r4bid
View Profile
Veteran user
386 Posts

Profile of r4bid
ummm cups and balls is a closing trick for most of the greats (ie it rakes in the cash...)
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations,

I'm going to have to agree with r4, cups and balls is a classic street effect, going back to at least the 1500s -- I think that track record speaks for itself.

As for other effects, or at least what I'm working on: ropes, rope-and-ring, rings, miser's cup, cups-and-balls, and the egg bag are all classic effects that "play big and pack small" and can play to both large and small crowds.

As for dress, well, I'm a rennie so I've got garb/clothing for everything from a peasant to a pirate, monk to musketeer, and most things in between; as to you ... dress for your character, keeping in mind that you'll be on your feet for 10 to 12 hours a day and you want to be comfortable while you're doing it.

For more and better info for free, start with the first thread in this forum and work your way through to the archives ... there are several books and many lifetimes worth of practical, street-tested experience to be found in this particular forum. If you're looking for books and videos, look for stuff by Cellini, Haydn, and Gazzo.

Have fun playing in the street, and don't worry about your crashing and burning the first time out, at least now you have that out of the way! Smile

Joe in KC

Make magic happen, live a great adventure!
M@gic Man
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
121 Posts

Profile of M@gic Man
r4bid, I meant that the cups and balls wouldn't be good for stroll around unless you want to carry around a table!!(or unless you want to look unprofessional and preform it on the ground.)
But as i said i am not a street magician, and all the street magicians i have seen, have never performed the cups and balls.
So that's what i based my answer on.
Sorry to be wrong!!
I am sure you have never made a mistake! Smile
Shadow Dancer
View Profile
New user
Melbourne, Australia
61 Posts

Profile of Shadow Dancer
Cups and balls! yes, but where can you get a nice cheap solid set? and m@gicman- bad hagan!-i've seen nick nickolas perform his version of cups and balls in melbourne for a massive croud. he was fantastic at it. he really stole the croud with it.
are there any other really good tricks for street magic for a large crowd?
<br> AlbertEinstein
MagiUlysses
View Profile
Special user
Kansas City
504 Posts

Profile of MagiUlysses
Greetings and Salutations,

Um, OK, sorry, I thought we were discussing busking here, i.e., street magic; building a crowd -- a dozen or more and hopefully more like 50 to 100 people -- perform a show for them and then get them to tip your hat.

Indian fakirs play(ed) the cups and balls on the ground, and street performers have been using portable tables for centuries.

Now, if you want stroll around effects, drop into the "Street Magic" forum, and you'll get a wealth of info on Blaine-style effects and which are appropriate for whatever strolling venue you choose.

As to street performance and playing to crowds, I'll again refer you to my meager list and advise you to also check out of effects in "Discoverie of Witchcraft," originally written in the mid-1500s, which has a section of street performance magic. Read also Jim Cellini's "The Royal Touch," and check out his lecture, ring and street performance videos -- most available from Dennys, Hank Lees, and probably others.

Shadow, do not get a cheap set for anything other than working out whether or not woring with cups is for you. I got a Morrisey combo cups and chop cop set, discovered that I really like doing the cups, and now they sit on my shelf. Instead, I use a set of Bosco cups from Harries of Sweden or Galli-Galli cups from Pete Biro. Both are big, relatively heavy and are cost-effective, i.e., they're not cheap but are worth what you pay for the product, and service, you get from them.

That's just my $.02 (USD). As always YMMV.

Have fun playing in the streets.

Joe in KC

Make magic happen, live a great adventure!
M@gic Man
View Profile
Regular user
Australia
121 Posts

Profile of M@gic Man
Bernard's sold a good set, but i bought the last one!!!!!!!!!!!
They were made of spun aliminium and were quite cheap, they are really shinny and easy to keep clean.
They came with a nice carry bag and some matrial type squishy balls.

Well, i will sell you mine for $200
although they only cost me a quater of that, i think they should now be more expensive coz i have used them. Smile Smile Smile Smile
Darck Ninja
View Profile
New user
SLC-UTAH
76 Posts

Profile of Darck Ninja
PenguinMagic.com has an aluminum set for under $20 if I remember correctly.
When you have some money (and I mean MONEY TO BURN!!!) I suggest the set at themagicwarehouse.com . It's $200 I think, but it's worth it!

:cups:

PS The cups and balls set I'm talking about is under the Johnson Products section. Smile
"The most beautiful experience we can have is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. He who does not know it and can no longer wonder, is as good as dead, and his eyes are dimmed." Einstein
Nick Alexander
View Profile
New user
Australia
60 Posts

Profile of Nick Alexander
Can you do or learn a good linking rings routine because i have a big linking ring routine in the middle of my show and the grouds are usually amazed, heck i even amaze myself sometimes.

As for costume I love masks, infact Jeff McBride is my inspiration when it comes to costume.

On the street you have to be wearing things that will make you stand out. My first street show costume was a half mask with a sweade effect, with one half a dark red and the other a dark green with black in the centre. Then i wore a white formal shirt three quarter length jacket ect.
Anyway make yourself stand out and make your opening effect impressive.

have fun,
TMM Smile
Kamal
View Profile
Loyal user
253 Posts

Profile of Kamal
I have seen Nick Nicholas' show and agree that his cups and balls draws in huge crowds.

If you're looking for a good set of spun aluminium cups and balls, I would suggest checking out The Magic Store (http://www.themagicstore.com.au). I know the owner personally, and can only say good things about thier knowledge, professionalism and service.
magicsoup
View Profile
Elite user
461 Posts

Profile of magicsoup
I think you should have at least one routine with a spectator. If you can get kids to come up and help you their parents will like the show more. Have you thought about adding an escape? As far as clothing goes you should staqnd out from the crowd. If your character calls for a costume then wear what's appropriate, if not just dress up a bit. I wear a nice vest.
Shadow Dancer
View Profile
New user
Melbourne, Australia
61 Posts

Profile of Shadow Dancer
Yeah, I'm thinking about an escape act. My friends mum is a stitcher, and shes made really good straight jackets for plays, and shes hopefully going to make me one.
<br> AlbertEinstein
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » New Street MagicRoutine (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL